Freestyle Libre questions

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks again for all your help in answering my questions everyone. I'm getting my Libre tomorrow...feeling like a child on Christmas Eve waiting for Santy

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been using the Freestyle Libre continuously for over a year now. It's been tremendously useful and I feel naked without it. I've experienced the inaccuracy during the first 24 hours of use that others have described. However, I've found a solution that works for me. Apply the sensor, wait 24 hours before scanning to "begin new sensor". After the 60 minute waiting period the results are accurate without losing a day of use to inaccurate readings. I hope this helps.

good idea - I think I will try that - Well done :)

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The clinic are supplying 2 sensors and a starter kit but after that I think I'm on my own @Robbity I would love the start the fashion trend...think my ocd mate wouldn't be too keen though haha! @jfigard thanks for the advice I'll try it!

The best marketing strategy. At 15 or 16 Gillette gave every boy at school a FREE Razor - so for the past 25 years I have only used and bought Gillette all because they gave it for free.

But once you are on the program you will love it, I am sure. Also I think the advice of put it in your arm and wait a day to scan it, is a great idea if it will make the device more accurate.

Reactions: 2 people

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
Is there anyone who successfully applies this to there stomach or any other area that makes it easier to hide and less likely to knock off????? I know it's only approved by freestyle to go on your arm but it's really not great there. I just caught mine on the doorframe and it almost ripped clean off. I pressed it straight back onto my arm and, fingers crossed, so far it's still working although I'm now worried it may be inaccurate Has anyone else pressed one back on and if you have did it continue to work ok? I'm only four days into this sensor so really can't afford to lose it!!!!!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the start of a trial, the Abbott rep gave advice to apply sensor to inside of upper arm. Anyone tried this?

(Who cares, right? But at my age, the inside of the upper arm is not the most attractive place to glue the sensor:).)

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A quick question

If you put a new sensor in 24 hours before scanning it.. Does it matter where this sensor is?? Or how close it is to your other sensor?

I can only use one arm due to having lymph nodes on other side removed.

My arms are very skinny and not much room to put the new sensor away from the other one..

Any help or suggestions??

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick question

If you put a new sensor in 24 hours before scanning it.. Does it matter where this sensor is?? Or how close it is to your other sensor?

I can only use one arm due to having lymph nodes on other side removed.

My arms are very skinny and not much room to put the new sensor away from the other one..

Any help or suggestions??

I have reasonably skinny arms and find that the sensors are no trouble. Try putting one fairly high up near the shoulder and the next say halfway down your upper arm. Also, I alternate arms for placement sites so I haven't experienced this first hand, but I believe that if you had two sensors close to each other and scanned, the reader would give you an option whether you wanted to start the new one or not, so you could leave it in for a bit before starting. Again, don't trust me on that since I haven't done it myself, just heard about it from others.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
Some folks do use it on their tummy or legs, but it isn't approved by Abbott for those sites, so Abbott would be unlikely to replace any sensors giving wonky readings or other issues, where sensors have been applied to tummies legs etc.

I'm guessing you are also going to give feedback on your trial use? Using it on a non-approved site might be viewed as unhelpful at best.

I rather like the idea of flesh coloured tape. I must look into that; although I'l allergic to most tape adhesive. Even with the skin sensitivity, I haven't had any issues with the Libre adhesive.

I do hope you find a way of making it work for you.
I disagree i'm afraid as i would love to hear people's views on using the sensor on other areas like stomach and legs as i've now ripped two of my three sensors off on doorframes and i'm not so minted that i can afford to keep replacing them. The last one i ripped off had only been on 24hrs and i could have cried!!!!! I'm really really disheartened with the sensors and apart from having to explain to everyone what "that thing on your arm" is, it sits in a really vulnerable position and i don't have any trust in it now. So for all the people out there that are considering other sites to place their sensor please please please post on here how you got on with it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I disagree i'm afraid as i would love to hear people's views on using the sensor on other areas like stomach and legs as i've now ripped two of my three sensors off on doorframes and i'm not so minted that i can afford to keep replacing them. The last one i ripped off had only been on 24hrs and i could have cried!!!!! I'm really really disheartened with the sensors and apart from having to explain to everyone what "that thing on your arm" is, it sits in a really vulnerable position and i don't have any trust in it now. So for all the people out there that are considering other sites to place their sensor please please please post on here how you got on with it.
I put one on my lower back, around the kidney area. It lasted about 3 days before it fell off. I find that I flex in that region far more than the back of my arm, so the pad becomes unstuck quickly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have used 14 sensors, and have only had one fail due to adhesion issues. I took my robe off to have my morning shower and the sensor fell to the floor, without any assistance. Abbott replaced the sensor.

A few people have reported knocking sensors off on the likes of door frames, and others have noted they banged their sensors a bit on things. I can honestly say I have particularly noticed banging into or rubbing against door frames.

I have sort of concluded I may be applying my sensors slightly further round my arm that some. When I hold my arm straight out, my sensor would be closer to the back of my arm than the absolute outside edge.

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sensor is recording massive inconsistencies! I'm worried it's going to mess up my HBA1C!the time on my monitor is incorrect, I took my blood immediately after the Libre recorded a LO. I could feel a hypo, so I took loads of lucozade as it wasn't coming up on the Libre. This has happened a few times now, does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

1ba127dfcacc0709da37b5faca6f4c3b_thumb.jpg

nicky-52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put one on my lower back, around the kidney area. It lasted about 3 days before it fell off. I find that I flex in that region far more than the back of my arm, so the pad becomes unstuck quickly.
I've recently started using the Freestyle Libre. Haven't had any problems with adhesion of the sensor but am conscious of the expense if they do become dislodged.
When I first attended a presentation about Libre, the rep discussed previous users concerns and solutions
One really useful tip is to use Rock Tape
As I feel quite self conscious having a bloody great white disc on my arm, I cut the tape into heart shapes and simply apply over the sensor . The reader can operate through several layers of clothing. . . Sorted! The tape comes in lovely colours and designs, currently I'm sporting a tattoo design and feel great
Hope this helps

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've recently started using the Freestyle Libre. Haven't had any problems with adhesion of the sensor but am conscious of the expense if they do become dislodged.
When I first attended a presentation about Libre, the rep discussed previous users concerns and solutions
One really useful tip is to use Rock Tape
As I feel quite self conscious having a bloody great white disc on my arm, I cut the tape into heart shapes and simply apply over the sensor . The reader can operate through several layers of clothing. . . Sorted! The tape comes in lovely colours and designs, currently I'm sporting a tattoo design and feel great
Hope this helps
Not really. I found that covering the sensor with tape causes a much more significant reaction than leaving it uncovered, so had to stop applying extra adhesive. As it's supposed to last 14 days, I shouldn't really need it.

knackered

How about an armband of some sort ?? I think that's what I am going to try when I get mine, not sure what the best material would be, but for me it would seem the best way of avoiding the sensor snagging without using another adhesive.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have used 14 sensors, and have only had one fail due to adhesion issues. I took my robe off to have my morning shower and the sensor fell to the floor, without any assistance. Abbott replaced the sensor.

A few people have reported knocking sensors off on the likes of door frames, and others have noted they banged their sensors a bit on things. I can honestly say I have particularly noticed banging into or rubbing against door frames.

I have sort of concluded I may be applying my sensors slightly further round my arm that some. When I hold my arm straight out, my sensor would be closer to the back of my arm than the absolute outside edge.
Maybe this is a big ask but would there be any chance of you posting a pic of where it is on your arm as i think that i'm maybe putting mine too close to the outside of my arm which is prime location for it catching a doorframe, but too far round my arm would it not rub on my side??? The best result here would be for Abbott to adapt the sensor so that there are no edges and it comes to your arm in more of a curve than leaving an edge. Just received my second free replacement about five minutes ago and i'm really not wanting to put it on as i'm scared i'll rip it off before the night is out.....how pathetic is that!!!!!!!

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How about an armband of some sort ?? I think that's what I am going to try when I get mine, not sure what the best material would be, but for me it would seem the best way of avoiding the sensor snagging without using another adhesive.
When i go to my circuit classes i put a large square gauze sticky dressing over it so that none of the gym equipment can catch on it. Thats fine for the gym but not fine in everyday life walking around with a large gauze plaster on your arm, plus you'd have to change it constantly which would undoubtedly have a bad effect on your skin when ripping plasters off all the time. Its a tough one!!!

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So glad i read this as i just got my sensor delivered about twenty minutes ago and said to my husband "maybe i'll try it on my lower back"!!!!!!!!! They need to adapt it so there are no edges, thats the answer i reckon, but in the meantime i guess its back onto the arm. Fingers crossed!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe this is a big ask but would there be any chance of you posting a pic of where it is on your arm as i think that i'm maybe putting mine too close to the outside of my arm which is prime location for it catching a doorframe, but too far round my arm would it not rub on my side??? The best result here would be for Abbott to adapt the sensor so that there are no edges and it comes to your arm in more of a curve than leaving an edge. Just received my second free replacement about five minutes ago and i'm really not wanting to put it on as i'm scared i'll rip it off before the night is out.....how pathetic is that!!!!!!!

I'm not wearing one at the moment, or I would happily photograph my bingo wings. Let me tell you how I sort of decide where it's going, and I think others use this technique too.

When I'm ready to apply the sensor, and having decided if it's going on the left or right, I stretch the arm out at shoulder height, and relax it (i.e. - don't tense your muscles). I then apply the sensor somewhere on the part of my arm that's facing the floor. So, in effect there is a minimal amount, if any, in danger if arm v door-frame combat. For the first time, when you've decided where it's going, maybe press a finger on the spot, so that when you put the applicator onto your arm, you'll know it's in the same place.

Doing that I've never had it touch my side, unless I've had my arm closer to my body and pulled the elbow across my body. I've just tested that, knowing where I place it.

I doubt that way, the sensor will interfere with anything, although I guess, as usual, it's best to take a little extra care when putting on or removing any tight clothing.

I guess to an extent the size of the gizmo are governed by what's in there. Making any kind of curvature on it would be tricky, as we're all different sized. It's licensed for use for small children. I'm a very slight (160cm, 47kg) old girl, and there are big, butch gym boys using it too. How would they gauge the required curvature, without offering different sizes, which would almost inevitably increase the cost.

I hope that works for you. It's what I do, and I believe it complies with Abbott's requirements, but I can't guarantee it'll be perfect for you. I'm pleased they have replaced your sensors. I've found their Customer Service to be excellent.

knackered

When i go to my circuit classes i put a large square gauze sticky dressing over it so that none of the gym equipment can catch on it. Thats fine for the gym but not fine in everyday life walking around with a large gauze plaster on your arm, plus you'd have to change it constantly which would undoubtedly have a bad effect on your skin when ripping plasters off all the time. Its a tough one!!!

I specifically did not mention using anything sticky, merely an arm band.