Help with diet

Rosiejo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone - very recently diagnosed and have managed to understand diet to a degree but SERIOUSLY missing eating fruit in quantity. I love every type but have been told about 3 pieces a day and not too much "tropical" fruit. Help please. Also breakfast suggestions - generally porridge - is there anything better. Thanks everyone.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I used to eat mountains of fruit when in season but now get by with a couple of apples a day or some berries and then I feel sometimes that is to much. I try to eat less than 100 gms of carbs daily there are others on this forum who get by with way less carbs but I would struggle. Porridge I once ate daily with banana and honey this I stopped completely so for me no bananas, no porridge as this made my blood sugars spike try testing yourself and see what effect it has on you. Instead I eat avocado, mushrooms, bacon and tomato daily for breakfast. I run early in the morning before breakfast and have an apple to start my day. Lidl protein rolls are great and I sometimes have one of these with a protein filling or even avocado.

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I tend to eat the pots of porridge for breakfast and find it doesn,t spike me too much. Like you I used to eat lots of fruit especially bananas. Now I rarely eat fruit. It took a while to get used to eating less fruit but now Don, t miss fruit

Reactions: 2 people

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I may well be rebel! ...... I still enjoy an apple a day, usually with my lunch and more often than not a banana before a 'phys' session either in the Gym, running or Cycling - I do need the fuel! I also now enjoy melon, but some say good, some say bad!
Fruit is much better than my previous sausage roll or choccy bar. and so far is working for me!

Rosiejo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to eat mountains of fruit when in season but now get by with a couple of apples a day or some berries and then I feel sometimes that is to much. I try to eat less than 100 gms of carbs daily there are others on this forum who get by with way less carbs but I would struggle. Porridge I once ate daily with banana and honey this I stopped completely so for me no bananas, no porridge as this made my blood sugars spike try testing yourself and see what effect it has on you. Instead I eat avocado, mushrooms, bacon and tomato daily for breakfast. I run early in the morning before breakfast and have an apple to start my day. Lidl protein rolls are great and I sometimes have one of these with a protein filling or even avocado.
Thanks so much - especially about the protein rolls. Breakfast sounds good

Rosiejo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend to eat the pots of porridge for breakfast and find it doesn,t spike me too much. Like you I used to eat lots of fruit especially bananas. Now I rarely eat fruit. It took a while to get used to eating less fruit but now Don, t miss fruit
Cheers Ally - I'll buy a quantity of willpower like you!!

Rosiejo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I may well be rebel! ...... I still enjoy an apple a day, usually with my lunch and more often than not a banana before a 'phys' session either in the Gym, running or Cycling - I do need the fuel! I also now enjoy melon, but some say good, some say bad!
Fruit is much better than my previous sausage roll or choccy bar. and so far is working for me!
Well done for ditching the choccy bar - and thank you for the tips

fene48

Hi everyone - very recently diagnosed and have managed to understand diet to a degree but SERIOUSLY missing eating fruit in quantity. I love every type but have been told about 3 pieces a day and not too much "tropical" fruit. Help please. Also breakfast suggestions - generally porridge - is there anything better. Thanks everyone.
* Philly cheese with smoked salmon on a low carb bread topped with tomato and capers.
* Mushroom omelet with a dash of tabasco.
* Pan fried smoked pork loin with dill pickles on low carb bread, spread with real butter.
* Fried egg/s with pork sausage (with kakadu plums and lemon aspen).
* Pork mince with black beans and taco sauce.
* Greek yoghurt with mixed berries.
* Half red capsicum filled with cottage cheese and chopped dill pickles, dusted with dill.
* Low carb toast, slice of colby cheese smeared with pesto.
**** - its making me hungry. Breakfast is such a looong way off as I am just hitting the sack. Well at least I will have
deliziosa dreams.
Happy brekkies!!!!!

MissMac

IF you wanted to do the LCHF there are also muffins you can bake and freeze...Atkins do a spiced one and I just found a lemon and poppy one...also if you are working out a lot it doesn't always follow you need more carbs than anyone else as your body can take what it needs from elsewhere....yup I've been reading WAY too much about the keto diet!! But SO glad I did..tonight I shall be making low carb pizza...wish me luck! ha ha xx

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have berries of some description with cream (double or extra thick) or full fat Greek yogurt, or Alpro plain soya yogurt for breakfast. I also have banana if I'm going for a long walk. But, yep, getting used to less/different fruit was hard work for me.