1st time taking my pump on holiday

lely

Hi All.
I'm going abroad in 2 weeks.
Aside from taking all my pump supplies, and insulin pens as back up should anything go wrong, can anyone think of anything else that's useful to know info. I'm actually quite nervous bout going though airport security with it.
But I don't want to have a pump holiday, i got the waterproof one so I can swim with it no problem. I want to wear it and be proud of it at the side of the pool.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lely, I haven't yet travelled abroad with my pump (although technically the Isle of Wight where I went for a couple of days a couple of months ago does count as 'overseas')!

No advice therefore from me about airport security and what-not, but I just want to wish you a really happy lovely holiday, and I think it's terrific that you want to wear your pump with pride!

Could you perhaps report back on your return about how it worked for you re what to pack and how to go about things as a pumper on holiday?

Bon voyage!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @lely, I've been abroad a few times with the pump. In the UK at airport security I have simply walked through the metal detector and said to the person "I have an insulin pump". If they ask me to go in the body scanner I've refused and said why.

Coming back the other way, I've had enough of the local lingo to say "I have an insulin pump, I am type 1 diabetic" to the staff and that has worked out fine. Most of the non-UK operators have been better than the UK ones.

Otherwise, just use it as you would in the UK, and remember to adjust your clock!

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travel by plane quite a lot and the others are right you just need to show them your pump and you can go through the metal detector but not the body scanner. Normally I disconnect my pump to go through the body scanner, they swab it to check for explosives and drugs and hand it back to me at the end they are really good honestly you don't need to worry, have fun on your holiday

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lely, good luck and have a great time. Have you got Frio bags to keep your spare supplies cool? they are really good on holiday. Also, please I am not trying to alarm you as I'm very positive, but have you written down your basal levels just IN CASE anything did happen to the pump and you had to go back to your injections? I'm only saying this because after 3 years, my pump broke on day 3 of a 15 day holiday and I WAS FINE!! had back up vials, syringes, needles and pens BUT I hadn't taken a photo of pump with basal rates showing so it threw me a bit to have to work it out and think of my rates. However, as I said, I'm a positive person so I just got on with it but I was cross with myself that I wasn't a bit better prepared with that info to hand (ditto my insulin sensitivity rates and times). Yes, remember to adjust your clock as you land and ditto your finger prick tester . Make sure you've got hypo supplies in your hand luggage, no insulin in hold luggage (EVER) and please try not to worry. As the posters have said above, you'll be asked to show the pump and they swab it but it's not a hassle - and once you've done this, hopefully you'll be reassured. Have a fabulous time

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lely :)

I've been abroad a number of times with my pump. I always take spare pens and cartridges and extra sets and cannulas in case of site issues.

I have a letter from my GP that I show at check in and security and I've never had any problems. I don't disconnect my pump and I ask for a pat down search rather than walk through the metal detector because the pump and site will generally set it off anyway so just cause a delay. Many airports swab the pump and my hands too, but not all do.

Be prepared to alter your basal on the plane. For some reason my BS often goes high so I put a temp basal rate on.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All.
Aside from taking all my pump supplies, and insulin pens as back up should anything go wrong, can anyone think of anything else that's useful to know info. I'm actually quite nervous bout going though airport security with it.
But I don't want to have a pump holiday, i got the waterproof one so I can swim with it no problem. I want to wear it and be proud of it at the side of the pool.

Hi - I flew out yesterday from Gatwick and asked about pump & showed my letter. They swabbed it but insisted I was fine to go through the body scanner as it uses sound waves! Still not sure if that is correct or not and my letter from my DSN just states it cannot go through the X-ray?! However it's working okay today - pure! As clarehayward says frio wallets - I have one with me & I packed loads of cannulas & infusion sets & more on hand luggage too! I don't know which pump you have but I put 2 link assist devices as I have had 1 break before! Have a great time!

PumpedSarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just got back from Mallorca - first time with pump too - and I've blogged about it;
Holidays
You may have guessed that I’ve been away, by the lack of posts! I was planning to do some while I was away, but that went out of the window! Holidays are great, but as diabetes can add an extra layer of stress. I’m a well seasoned traveller, but this was the first time abroad […]

https://lowcarbtype1.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/holidays/

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been abroad loads with my pump. When walking through the scanner I always have it clipped to the front on show if you like and if I beep (always happens) I say its my insulin pump and they're grand with that. I was told by my hospital that if I have to go through the body scanner to disconnect my pump and not allow it be scanned has never happened though. On hols I never swim with my pump even though I have the waterproof one too I'm just too nervous to risk it. I detach and reattach when I'm back out of the pool. I go through twice as many Mio sets on holidays than at home cos the constant in and out of water and sand means they don't last. I also only half fill the reservoir cos I'm changing it almost daily and don't want to waste loads of insulin. I always hide it under a towel or such when sunbathing. U will have weird little pale patches all over from the cannula where it doesn't tan when its on lol Have a great holiday !!

mikecu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.

Hi,
I don't have a pump, but always take a doctors note to say you are insulin dependent. I have had to show my letter at a number of times at airports during check in and going through security. I also always carry two lots of insulin and pens and put half into hand luggage and half into hold luggage just in case one case gets lost.
Have fun.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was new to a pump this year and have taken it overseas a number of times. I described my experience in a couple of light hearted blogs for Diabetes UK: https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=5008 and https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=5926.
Hopefully, these should give an idea what to expect and some tips.

Great to read! I'm still unsure about the body scanner - I was told to go through it on weds at Gatwick - the Security Agent was adamant that they go through all the time & it was fine! Will check with DSN when home. Great account by you.

lely

Hi @lely, I've been abroad a few times with the pump. In the UK at airport security I have simply walked through the metal detector and said to the person "I have an insulin pump". If they ask me to go in the body scanner I've refused and said why.

Coming back the other way, I've had enough of the local lingo to say "I have an insulin pump, I am type 1 diabetic" to the staff and that has worked out fine. Most of the non-UK operators have been better than the UK ones.

Otherwise, just use it as you would in the UK, and remember to adjust your clock!

Thank you for that time tip, think it's same time though. We will be in the canaries.

lely

Hi Lely, good luck and have a great time. Have you got Frio bags to keep your spare supplies cool? they are really good on holiday. Also, please I am not trying to alarm you as I'm very positive, but have you written down your basal levels just IN CASE anything did happen to the pump and you had to go back to your injections? I'm only saying this because after 3 years, my pump broke on day 3 of a 15 day holiday and I WAS FINE!! had back up vials, syringes, needles and pens BUT I hadn't taken a photo of pump with basal rates showing so it threw me a bit to have to work it out and think of my rates. However, as I said, I'm a positive person so I just got on with it but I was cross with myself that I wasn't a bit better prepared with that info to hand (ditto my insulin sensitivity rates and times). Yes, remember to adjust your clock as you land and ditto your finger prick tester . Make sure you've got hypo supplies in your hand luggage, no insulin in hold luggage (EVER) and please try not to worry. As the posters have said above, you'll be asked to show the pump and they swab it but it's not a hassle - and once you've done this, hopefully you'll be reassured. Have a fabulous time

Will email myself a list of basal rates. That way I can access where ever I am I know the hotel has the Internet Cafe thing should my phone not be available. Why no insulin in hold luggage? I have carried it on board before in the pen form.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will email myself a list of basal rates. That way I can access where ever I am I know the hotel has the Internet Cafe thing should my phone not be available. Why no insulin in hold luggage? I have carried it on board before in the pen form.

Hi - You should never put insulin in the hold in case it freezes and isn't suitable. It always needs to be in hand luggage . Have fun

lely

Hi - You should never put insulin in the hold in case it freezes and isn't suitable. It always needs to be in hand luggage . Have fun

Arrr I miss read the original post, i thought you said hand luggage. Of course. I feel better if it's within reach anyway. i usually carry some and I get hubby to carry some in hos rucksack just in case.