everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi everyone.

I'm new to food portions and my first dietitian appointment is not until next week so I'm hoping you can help me. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I would like to know if the following is classed as a meal with which I need to take my fast acting insulin?

A slice of thick white bread with olive oil spread (Bertolli) and a thin layer of normal raspberry jam. And a banana. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Oh and I keep meaning to ask. I have been diagnosed with secondary diabetes. They say its not type 1 or 2 but still require insulin. I'm wanting to enter the type of diabetes i have on my profile but theres not an option for secondary diabetes. ??? Cheers :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You need the insulin dependants to really answer that one, but I would guess that the amount of fast acting carbohydrate and sugar in that lot might need a little correction.

Are you on a specific diet which recommends that as a snack, or do we need to talk to you gently about carbohydrates and diabetes?:)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello LittleGreyCat and thanks for your reply. :)

No I dont think you need to talk gently to me. I can take it :) I know it's not an ideal low carb serving but theres not much else in the house at the moment. Were going shopping tomorrow and we will be counting :)

No specific diet as yet but seeing the dietitian on Tuesday.

What is it you have on the plate in your profile picture. Looks good!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin dependant type 1 here. I would need quite a lot of insulin for everything in that meal other than the olive oil.

Personally, I would not eat a thin slice of bread, the banana or jam but I am a low carb eater.

Have you been taught carb counting? Are you testing your bs before and after meals?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello Kristin251. I have not been taught carb counting yet. I am testing my sugar before and after meals yes.

So I guess I made a good decision with the Bertolli then? :)

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an insulin dependent type 1 and would definitely need insulin for the bread, jam and banana. All three are big carbs for me and I would not eat them all together even with insulin. I would not count that as a snack or a balance meal as it is high carb, no vegetables or protein. By the way, there are not stupid questions, just things we don't know yet. As you go through your journey, you will learn how foods affect your blood sugar, how to read food labels for hidden carbs and gain advice from the people on this forum. I have had to make considerable changes to my diet. At first is was overwhelming, but it does get better and I feel so much better for eating lower carb. I am not militant low carb and do enjoy some things like bananas, just in moderation and not too many carbs at one time. I wish you well.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Karenchq. That's really helpful. There should be a 'helpful' option in the list of ratings :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks mahola.

I have been told to take insulin with every meal I have, breakfast, lunch and dinner so long as its at least 4 hours in between doses. I just wondered if the toast and banana could be classed as a meal. Obviously it differs I also have one 24 hour dose at night. There's only so much you can go through with the diabetes team on a Friday @ 3pm. We just went through the basics really and there calling me on Monday to talk more. There is a lot of work and counting to be doing but the main thing is that my levels are no where near as high as they have been. There will be adjustments to make to my insulin doses, food, drink and many other things. I know this is just the beginning of a new era.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone.

I'm new to food portions and my first dietitian appointment is not until next week so I'm hoping you can help me. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I would like to know if the following is classed as a meal with which I need to take my fast acting insulin?

A slice of thick white bread with olive oil spread (Bertolli) and a thin layer of normal raspberry jam. And a banana. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Oh and I keep meaning to ask. I have been diagnosed with secondary diabetes. They say its not type 1 or 2 but still require insulin. I'm wanting to enter the type of diabetes i have on my profile but theres not an option for secondary diabetes. ??? Cheers :)
Were you told to take set amount of insulin with your main meals and have insulin free snacks?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi ewelina. Thanks for your input. :)

Yes, that is what I have been told. I know at the moment the balance is way out. I was eating without a care in the world until Friday and have seriously cut down on sugar and carbs probably no where near enough. But at the same time I think the dose of insulin is not right too. I think I have to cut back way way more and I think the insulin may have to go up a little and be balanced more with what I eat rather than a set dose for each meal. Balancing the insulin against the carbs or vice versa.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whether you call it a meal, a snack, elevenses, supper, a little bit of munchkin delights... Doesn't really matter. What matters is how many grams of carbohydrates you can cope with before you need insulin - usually they say you can get away with 10-15g of carbs without bpneeding insulin, but you've just got to see what works for you.

Thick slice of white bread, say 14g, teaspoon of jam say 4g banana say 20g. So yes, that's a snack/meal/little munchkin delight you are probably going to need insulin for.

But, if they have given you set doses to take with meals, rather than explaining carb counting, they will have worked out your dose based on an estimated carb content of your meal, and you will need to pro rata your insulin dose down accordingly.

I think they have said wait four hours between doses because they want you to avoid insulin stacking, but I don't think it counts as insulin stacking if you are also stacking your carbs.

If you have insulin dependent diabetes secondary to pancreatitis, I think that means you are 3c. There's an option for 3c and there's also a forum here for this which might be helpful to have a look at?

Reactions: 2 people

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ewelina. Thanks for your input. :)

Yes, that is what I have been told. I know at the moment the balance is way out. I was eating without a care in the world until Friday and have seriously cut down on sugar and carbs probably no where near enough. But at the same time I think the dose of insulin is not right too. I think I have to cut back way way more and I think the insulin may have to go up a little and be balanced more with what I eat rather than a set dose for each meal. Balancing the insulin against the carbs or vice versa.
Balancing insulin is the key. Its a bit difficult at the beginning but you can find lots of info online and learn everything by yourself.
When I was diagnosed I was told to take 10u with each main meal. It was way too much and I spent a week in constant hypo! I realised quite quickly (and rather in a painful way) that insulin needs to be balanced with what I eat. I think that advising anyone a set dose is stupid and everyone should be taught from the very beginning how insulin works and how to keep the balance between insulin and carbs.
For the time being, before you learn carb count I would advise you to eat the same amount of carbs with each meal and see if the dose given by your doctors keeps your sugar levels right. If not, reduce or increase amount of carbohydrates to balance it. Try to keep your snacks carb free so they wont affect your sugar levels that much. Google for low carb snacks recipes and you will find many ideas. I'm afraid anything like bread, jam and bananas is not a good idea. Go for meat, cheese but all in moderation. Good luck and let us know how youre doing :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to agree with what you say about set doses. My levels were very high to begin with just before diagnosis. 38.2 was the highest recorded level. I have stuck to what they have said and really cut back. Yet before I ate that meal/snack mentioned above my level was 16.3. I had my 6u of NovaRapid just before that. 1 hour later its 25.8!!! However during that hour after eating my Dad decided to trip over when stoking our log burner/stove and got 2nd degree burns on his head and hand so there was a bit of a stressful time trying to sort all that out. I now have a nasty headache! :(

These levels are not good! :(

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finding your carb to insulin ratio is important. One carb raises me about 7 points BUT, There are factors such as fat and protein. I can be a delicate balancing act.