Does Anyone Recommend The Flu Jab

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Does anyone recommend the flu jab because I had mine last year but 2 weeks after i got a massive cold and a bad chest and it hurt so much but I still went to work

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It doesn't stop you getting a cold :)

I get mine every year, if your unfortunate enough to get full-on flu you will see how difficult it is to control your type 1, I had flu several years ago and was really ill with it, quite worrying at the time actually..........

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
It doesn't stop you getting a cold :)

I get mine every year, if your unfortunate enough to get full-on flu you will see how difficult it is to control your type 1, I had flu several years ago and was really ill with it, quite worrying at the time actually..........
Oh bless you thank you

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have had flu, once when I was a teenager which turned into pneumonia then in my mid 20's just the flu, both times with diabetes. I always now have a flu jab :)

Reactions: 2 people

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I too have had flu, once when I was a teenager which turned into pneumonia then in my mid 20's just the flu, both times with diabetes. I always now have a flu jab :)
Oh my God how are you now

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I had flu once and hope I never get flu again.
Since I am now type2, I always have my flu jab

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Never been type1. My surgery give the flu jab to type2,s as well

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing to lose getting it, if it does indeed work and lessens flu symptoms then well worth it, I also had flu once in my twenties and felt as ill as I've ever been leading to a chest infection I thought would kill me. 4 weeks+ of hell

D

Deleted member 308541

I have had a flu vax shot for the past twenty odd years and never had the flu, the reason I have it is because I have a COPD. I also have had the two pneumovax shots to give Pneumonia the flick as well.

This year in Australia there were two different flu vaxes Trivalent and Quadrivalent flu vaccines, both were free again for over 65's and on the PBS ($6.20) for people with a chronic illness.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Actual influenza which is what the shot is for is no joke. It can and does kill people who are weakened for some reason. I would get the shot. I have had flu and the pneumonia that comes after. Not fun.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you get sick after getting the flu shot, it's unlikely to be the actual flu - colds are very different and usually non-harmful infections for most of us. If you do get the flu full force very shortly afterwards, it's either a strain that wasn't included in the shot (which sometimes happens, scientists make their best educated guesses but they are only human), or you were infected and sick before you got the shot (which then doesn't help you out - not the shot's fault!). The very minor symptoms of being slightly feverish and feeling lethargic are normal, not the actual flu, but your immune system recognizing and destroying the viruses.

If you get the flu later on, you will experience reduced symptoms and have less risks of developing very serious complications. Your body will only need a couple of days to fight off the infection versus the 2 weeks it would take without being vaccinated. This is what helps us survive through an infection and prevents the really bad symptoms that level us. The flu shot does NOT prevent the flu from happening in your body, it just makes it a whole lot less bad.

My dad believes the myths that 'getting shots makes your immune system lazy' (very much the opposite is true) and that 'he got the flu because of the shot'', all which is false. I worry as he's a T2D himself and now doesn't get the shots anymore. The chances of getting the flu and suffering severely are MUCH higher than any of the minor risks associated with vaccinations, so in my eyes it's foolish not to get it. I get them every year and I haven't been seriously ill since. Yes I've had colds, fevers and the usual seasonal woes, but nothing that made me miserable or close to death. It's worth it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I has flu once. about 10 years ago, and wouldn't want to get it again. I thought I would die. But I do have a real phobia of needles. GPs and DNs are supposed to offer the flu jab to all diabetics as we have weakened immune systems. My DN did offer me the flu jab after I was diagnosed last year. I asked if I could have the oral medication instead, which is available for children (and NHS staff) but she said I couldn't, so I declined the jab
When I saw my GP for 12 monthly meds review she offered it to me again, but again I declined. I would take the oral version, but I really can't face an injection.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone recommend the flu jab because I had mine last year but 2 weeks after i got a massive cold and a bad chest and it hurt so much but I still went to work
Well, one thing is for sure, it wasn't flu since you would have been unable to go to work. There was a radio doctor who used to use this measure. If there is a £50 note blowing around your back garden and you go and get it then you haven't got flu.

I never want flu again, I always have the jab.

PS. The flu epidemic after the first world war killed between 20 and 40 million people which is more than died in the war. It's serious stuff and despite rumours to the contrary there is no 48 hour version.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I has flu once. about 10 years ago, and wouldn't want to get it again. I thought I would die. But I do have a real phobia of needles. GPs and DNs are supposed to offer the flu jab to all diabetics as we have weakened immune systems. My DN did offer me the flu jab after I was diagnosed last year. I asked if I could have the oral medication instead, which is available for children (and NHS staff) but she said I couldn't, so I declined the jab
When I saw my GP for 12 monthly meds review she offered it to me again, but again I declined. I would take the oral version, but I really can't face an injection.
But don't you inject your self twice a day I've never had a needle before now I m ok

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I have had a flu vax shot for the past twenty odd years and never had the flu, the reason I have it is because I have a COPD. I also have had the two pneumovax shots to give Pneumonia the flick as well.

This year in Australia there were two different flu vaxes Trivalent and Quadrivalent flu vaccines, both were free again for over 65's and on the PBS ($6.20) for people with a chronic illness.
What is copd please

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
If you get sick after getting the flu shot, it's unlikely to be the actual flu - colds are very different and usually non-harmful infections for most of us. If you do get the flu full force very shortly afterwards, it's either a strain that wasn't included in the shot (which sometimes happens, scientists make their best educated guesses but they are only human), or you were infected and sick before you got the shot (which then doesn't help you out - not the shot's fault!). The very minor symptoms of being slightly feverish and feeling lethargic are normal, not the actual flu, but your immune system recognizing and destroying the viruses.

If you get the flu later on, you will experience reduced symptoms and have less risks of developing very serious complications. Your body will only need a couple of days to fight off the infection versus the 2 weeks it would take without being vaccinated. This is what helps us survive through an infection and prevents the really bad symptoms that level us. The flu shot does NOT prevent the flu from happening in your body, it just makes it a whole lot less bad.

My dad believes the myths that 'getting shots makes your immune system lazy' (very much the opposite is true) and that 'he got the flu because of the shot'', all which is false. I worry as he's a T2D himself and now doesn't get the shots anymore. The chances of getting the flu and suffering severely are MUCH higher than any of the minor risks associated with vaccinations, so in my eyes it's foolish not to get it. I get them every year and I haven't been seriously ill since. Yes I've had colds, fevers and the usual seasonal woes, but nothing that made me miserable or close to death. It's worth it.
I long did you get a cold for