1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does Anyone Recommend The Flu Jab

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Julia McCoulough, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Julia McCoulough

Julia McCoulough Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No I don't want it I'd be scared

2. Julia McCoulough

I thought it would give me a cold

3. DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts LADA · Well-Known Member

About a week or so. It's mostly just sniffles and feeling nauseated. The flu on the other hand is a hundred times worse... :yuck:

4. Julia McCoulough

Are you ok now

5. Julia McCoulough

Oh my God I don't want it

6. DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts LADA · Well-Known Member

The cold is an entirely different virus, unrelated to the flu actually. You can't get a cold from the flu shot, it's physically impossible. You can however always get a cold from infected people around you. You only get immunized for the flu, not colds.

Consider this: a cold won't kill you. Unless you're already very ill and not managing your diabetes well, there's virtually no risk in having a cold. The symptoms are usually sniffles and congestion, sneezing, sore throats, nausea, mild fevers if any at all and coughs, and start out slowly and build up over time. It can take a week before your uncomfortable throat has turned into a full on cold. You recover rather quickly from these.

The flu is a much more severely damaging virus that CAN kill you. Even healthy people have a risk of developing complications from it, so we're even more likely to get hit by them. Flu symptoms are similar to colds, but they include aches in muscles and joints, weakness and extreme fatigue. More severely you can have trouble breathing, pressure in the chest and sudden dizziness (which requires immediate medical attention). A flu hits you really hard very suddenly unlike a cold, and it usually takes 2 or more weeks to fully recover from because of prolonged fatigue.

I know shots are icky and needle phobia can make this a massive hurdle. I understand that people may not be able to overcome that. But if you can think for even only a second that you can take that quick prick into your arm, and your doctor has cleared you for it, go for it. We live in an age where a flu no longer means a death sentence precisely because we have vaccines. Only a hundred years ago 50 to 100 million people in the world died from a massive flu pandemic. We don't have to worry about that anymore because of these shots, so I will never stop advocating for people to get them as soon as they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Julia McCoulough

Thank you for helping me

8. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Julia - thanks I'm fine now, this was around 1972 and then 1980 ish.

9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I don't inject. I'm Type 2. Fear of having to inject motivated me to get my blood sugars under control.

10. Cat0409_

Cat0409_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get my flu shot every year for the last 7 years. Its free for me so why not.
    Last year I actually was very sick with the flu!! Towards the end of all my coughing and spluttering and feeling like death warmed up...they finally took a blood test that confirmed influenza A. Shocked !!
    There is actually a small cross section of those that get flu shots that will actually get one of the strains being immunized against. Which is why they change flu strains in the flu vaccine regularly

11. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed with whooping cough in my 30's the first thing out of my mouth was "but I've been vaccinated why do I keep getting things I was vaccinated for" The answer was that for 8% of the population vaccinations don't work long term. I have been vaccinated for everything. I have had measles, mumps, rubella, and whooping cough. When my first son was born they did a titer to check my rubella immunity and despite having been vaccinated and also having had rubella, I still had no antibodies and was vaccinated again. I have no doubt that now, 28 years later, I have no immunity left. I do get the flu shot because they think it will help protect me in the short term and I am immune suppressed. I believe that the reason these diseases are still around has a lot to do with that 8%.

12. Julia McCoulough

Are you feeling better now

13. Julia McCoulough

I've only had one flu jab

14. PeterGC

PeterGC Type 2 · Member

Julia at the surgery I attend the recommendation is to have the flu jab I'm just diagnosed but as I also have COPD it's a must for me but most diabetic people as recommended too

Members are asking wether or not to have the Flu Jab . The surgery I attend recommend that diabetics go ahead and have the jab. Have any body any views on this subject

• Like Like x 2
    #34 PeterGC, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  15. Julian_Hands

Julian_Hands Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I lost my sister due to Flu. Don't chance it.
    I have mine done every year.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Julia McCoulough

Yes but I have to have them every year

17. Julia McCoulough

I'm so sorry

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook