Being Induced At 38 Weeks!! -Baby Update!

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey ladies, the time has arrived where me and my partner will be meeting our little darling. I have been booked in for induction next Friday (9th sept). Have you lovely ladies got any hints or tips for next week... I will be 38 weeks. What are people's experiences at being induced also (I know, not one person is the same) excited and nervous at the same time hehe xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My top tips are

- to be mentally prepared. Inductions can be lengthy so be prepared for that, then it'll be a bonus if it's quick

- to check your birth plan and cover all eventualities

- to check your bag and have lots of hypo treatments and snacks in there!

- to rest lots in preparation for your induction and get as much sleep as you can now!

- pack loads of blood testing strips!

- to know that you are in control and that giving birth is an active process - something you do, not something that's done to you

- read up on birth, relaxation and post-delivery, including breastfeeding and pumping

- know you can do it : )

- enjoy the last few days of your pregnancy : )

Take care XX

Reactions: 2 people

Elc1112

How exciting! Totally agree with everything that Azure said above. I was induced five weeks ago and it was definitely a lengthy process! Make sure your birthing partner knows what you are am what you aren't happy with - really handy in case you are a bit too exhausted to comic ate coherently towards the end!

My induction was, unfortunately, not successful so I ended up having a c section. I was unlucky, though, as absolutely nothing had happened after grew pessaries and 36 hours. I went in saying I definitely didn't want a c section. I ended up so glad and relaxed as they were takin me to theatre, though. Your preferences definitely change throughout the birthing process!

I had loads of hypos post delivery. Make sure you have loads of lucozades or similar. Although the hospital will be able to provide things for you, it's useful and much more convenient to have your own stuff to hand.

Once your baby has been delivered, use the time in hospital to rest. The midwives will help as much or as little as you need them to - make the most of it! Ask lots of questions and make sure you are comfortable before you go home.

He part of the process I found most uncomfortable was having my cervix checked. The first time was uncomfortable. The first pessary made everything much more sensitive so the second check was quite painful. If t happens to you, ask for gas and air. It doesn't stop the pain but it does take the edge off and gives you something else to focus on.

Hope all goes well!

Em x

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you ladies all really helpful information..... That's the one thing I'm not looking forward too is the length of time it's going to take (fingers crossed he flys out lol) but I will be in the best place no matter what.
@sekv all the best to you can't believe the weekend just gone was our last weekend as non parents, it's all very exciting and scary at the same time. I wish you all the best xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Finley02 and @sekv Yes, it's a process rather than an event - hence the possible length. If you have a slow-acting pessary, that can be there at least a day, then they sometimes leave it a bit longer, and then you have the drip and that, again, is the start of a new stage. If they're able to break your waters, consider that as it speeds things up no end.

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Finley02 and @sekv Yes, it's a process rather than an event - hence the possible length. If you have a slow-acting pessary, that can be there at least a day, then they sometimes leave it a bit longer, and then you have the drip and that, again, is the start of a new stage. If they're able to break your waters, consider that as it speeds things up no end.

Yes doesn't sound exciting does it lol! Although I just keep thinking this time next week he will be here! I will consider everything they offer lol x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I was induced at 35wks and found it very painful but ended up with an emergency section after the second pessary.

It took me a while to recover from the section and now second time round with the twins I still haven't quite recovered.

Just be prepared for it to be a long process like @azure says and be prepared for lots of hypos after.

Try rest now and enjoy your last few days before you join the night feed club!x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you.... Starting to get very nervous x

Don't be nervous. That's one benefit of a diabetic pregnancy - you'll be monitored carefully during the induction :)

Imagine you're sending vibes to your baby. That helped me stay relaxed, along with some deep breathing :)

Now I've said to prepare for a lengthy induction, you'll probably have a quick one and think I'm daft ;)

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't be nervous. That's one benefit of a diabetic pregnancy - you'll be monitored carefully during the induction :)

Imagine you're sending vibes to your baby. That helped me stay relaxed, along with some deep breathing :)

Now I've said to prepare for a lengthy induction, you'll probably have a quick one and think I'm daft ;)

Haha I hope it happens quickly! Lol can't wait to meet this little person I have been growing inside me for all this time!
Xx

Reactions: azure

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our second baby I was induced at 36 weeks, 40 mins start to finish, hope all went well for you

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw can't believe I've just seen this, hope all went well girls! Won't both with any tips seen as its been and gone but hope you are looking after yourselves as well as your new little baba's! If either of you ended up having a section please do rest, I didn't and ended up with a tear & and infection! Big hugs to you both xxx

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello ladies! Our little boy was born on Saturday 10th September @ 1:42 weighing 7lb 12 at 38 weeks + 1. He is absolutely beautiful.. He was rushed down to special care as the cord was wrapped around his neck but nothing in relation to my diabetes. labour happened very quickly within half hour of having the pessary I was already contracting! Which was brilliant. He really is the apple of mine and my partners eye xx

Reactions: myarnton1