New here looking for support

Shuriken

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed in Nov last year with a blood test result of 36. I didn't know what it meant at the time. The doctor said if I carried on doing what I was doing I'd have serious trouble, potentially it could kill me. I went on my course and learnt about what I could and couldn't eat. I was put on gliclazide and metformin. I'm not sure what happened but I started to put on weight in two months I put on 2 stone. I was not happy do started to reduce my intake 1500calories a day. I started swimming and going to the gym. The weight still rose. I'm may I decided to come off the gliclazide. My bs were regularly 5.5before eating and 6.5 s 7 two hrs after eating. I soon noticed the weight coming off so far it's 2stone, I have a lot more energy and stamina now. Obviously a good thing. My eye sight seems to have come back to normal. My work takes me all over the UK and Europe, this is were I find the trouble. Living in hotels and eating hotel food is where I find the issue. I've tried to keep to a low carb diet, but this is very difficult to maintain.

But so far I've lost 3 stone, bs now almost consistently 5.5 / 6, and 6 inches from my waist.

So I think I'm doing OK, just need a bit of guidance and support sometimes. traveling alone can be difficult at the best of times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cant you get beef and salt everywhere and sparkling Water ..for dinner, and eggs for breakfast... ?

you could carry some nuts with you allways ..

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I really am not loosing any weight and feeling hungry all the time I don't know what to eat and I never seem to stay full for long. I am vegetarian and don't like eggs too I am very fussy eater and now I been put on 2 modefied release Metformin 1000mg a day. Also I feel sick a lot and try drinking a lot of water when I feel like this.

Reactions: Freema

Shuriken

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really am not loosing any weight and feeling hungry all the time I don't know what to eat and I never seem to stay full for long. I am vegetarian and don't like eggs too I am very fussy eater and now I been put on 2 modefied release Metformin 1000mg a day. Also I feel sick a lot and try drinking a lot of water when I feel like this.
Hi Lynn, you might have similar issues to me at the start. One of your meds could be effecting your weight loss. I would suggest reading up on them. Look to see what the side effects are for each one of your drugs. Don't give up, keep smiling and eventually it'll come good.
As for always feeling hungry have you cut back on carbs?

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
no I really don't know what to eat to be honest thanks for the reply x

Shuriken

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no I really don't know what to eat to be honest thanks for the reply x
What do you typically eat for each meal, I try to cut out all bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. If I have any off these I try to keep my intake below 100mg a day. Don't buy low call foods, trying to to increase protein and fats.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi that's very similar to me I was diagnosed in Jan 2014. I still fight every day. I've had terrible problems with the meds similar to you gliclazide caused weight gain I was eventually taken of it. Metformin aside had liver function spikes. I'm currently on Once weekly injection bydureon. I'm working to reduce my weight enough to come off the meds. It can be very difficult in hotels. Trying to make informed choices on the food.
Any way good work. Keep it up

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I was diagnosed in Nov last year with a blood test result of 36. I didn't know what it meant at the time. The doctor said if I carried on doing what I was doing I'd have serious trouble, potentially it could kill me. I went on my course and learnt about what I could and couldn't eat. I was put on gliclazide and metformin. I'm not sure what happened but I started to put on weight in two months I put on 2 stone. I was not happy do started to reduce my intake 1500calories a day. I started swimming and going to the gym. The weight still rose. I'm may I decided to come off the gliclazide. My bs were regularly 5.5before eating and 6.5 s 7 two hrs after eating. I soon noticed the weight coming off so far it's 2stone, I have a lot more energy and stamina now. Obviously a good thing. My eye sight seems to have come back to normal. My work takes me all over the UK and Europe, this is were I find the trouble. Living in hotels and eating hotel food is where I find the issue. I've tried to keep to a low carb diet, but this is very difficult to maintain.

But so far I've lost 3 stone, bs now almost consistently 5.5 / 6, and 6 inches from my waist.

So I think I'm doing OK, just need a bit of guidance and support sometimes. traveling alone can be difficult at the best of times.

You seem to have a handle on how to eat at home and doing quite well on a low carb diet. I travel quite a bit and when I stay at hotels, I always ask to see the chef and how they cook their food. I have found that they are obliged to show what is in the food and carb and calorie count. After talking to the chefs, a low carb alternative is always forthcoming. They are usually pleased to provide as a service.
But always carry something that you can have in an emergency.

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
What do you typically eat for each meal, I try to cut out all bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. If I have any off these I try to keep my intake below 100mg a day. Don't buy low call foods, trying to to increase protein and fats.
I try and keep to wholemeal bread jacket potato, beans on toast ,I very rare eat rice and pasta I like yogurts and try keep to low fat , do you think Metformin makes you gain weight, I have become like a walking tent and I really not happy with it x

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I try and keep to wholemeal bread jacket potato, beans on toast ,I very rare eat rice and pasta I like yogurts and try keep to low fat , do you think Metformin makes you gain weight, I have become like a walking tent and I really not happy with it x
The problem with being hungry all the time is that you are still eating a lot of carbs and almost no fat in addition to most likely lower protein as well. That is a recipe for disaster for a type 2 diabetic. I can not tell you how to make a vegetarian diet work with lower carb but I do know there are people on this forum that do have those answers for you. There is a vegetarian sub-forum and I would start by reading the threads there and asking questions. I hope this helps, I have done low calorie and it sucks to be hungry all the time. Metformin actually has an appetite suppressing effect for some and as it does not affect insulin production it does not cause weight gain. Please check out the vegetarian section, you will feel better once you get it sorted out.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
do you think Metformin makes you gain weight
Metfornin is supposed to help with weight loss.
As @chalup says you should have a look at the vegetarian sub-forum for meal suggestions. Jacket potatoes and low-fat yoghurts aren't good.

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
oh dear well I love yogurts I tried them instead of sweets .

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
The problem with being hungry all the time is that you are still eating a lot of carbs and almost no fat in addition to most likely lower protein as well. That is a recipe for disaster for a type 2 diabetic. I can not tell you how to make a vegetarian diet work with lower carb but I do know there are people on this forum that do have those answers for you. There is a vegetarian sub-forum and I would start by reading the threads there and asking questions. I hope this helps, I have done low calorie and it sucks to be hungry all the time. Metformin actually has an appetite suppressing effect for some and as it does not affect insulin production it does not cause weight gain. Please check out the vegetarian section, you will feel better once you get it sorted out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply all of you I am very grateful

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lynn jacket potatoes are the worst kind of potatoes to eat for a diabetic person..the more baked the potato and corn the worse the stark in them become for diabetes... the stark in those vegetables are actually a bit worse than sugar. except from the vitamins and minerals in them..of which there is none in sugar. try beets and the other roots in small amounts ... how about nuts and cheese ?
cherries are by the way not that bad for diabetes ... and other berries in a smaller amount are also not too bad....

stay away from bread too... if not then only 40 grams of Whole grain bread a day OR a very Little handfull of oat in your yoghurt...
if you want to Loose you could Count your calories ... at the moment I lose 2 Pounds a week from only 1000calories pro day

Last edited:
Reactions: PenfoldAPD

mazzy1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I
Hi that's very similar to me I was diagnosed in Jan 2014. I still fight every day. I've had terrible problems with the meds similar to you gliclazide caused weight gain I was eventually taken of it. Metformin aside had liver function spikes. I'm currently on Once weekly injection bydureon. I'm working to reduce my weight enough to come off the meds. It can be very difficult in hotels. Trying to make informed choices on the food.
Any way good work. Keep it up
I am on same Meds as you been so for about 3 yrs Metformin 2000mg a day couldn't keep levels down and it played hell with my stomach was put on gliclazide over 6 months ago but levels got worse all of a sudden has lost 3 stone doing a little excercise eating quite good things but now told have to come of glicazide as levels continue to be high anything from 9 to 13 reguallary so tommorrow I start Bydureon weekly injections must admit was shocked to be told this am worried not about the injecting but the side effects nausea mainly have u any advice or any information that would be useful please.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
I

I am on same Meds as you been so for about 3 yrs Metformin 2000mg a day couldn't keep levels down and it played hell with my stomach was put on gliclazide over 6 months ago but levels got worse all of a sudden has lost 3 stone doing a little excercise eating quite good things but now told have to come of glicazide as levels continue to be high anything from 9 to 13 reguallary so tommorrow I start Bydureon weekly injections must admit was shocked to be told this am worried not about the injecting but the side effects nausea mainly have u any advice or any information that would be useful please.

Hi, I've not had any issues so far on bydureon, the only side effect / issue is the lumps on the injection site. These do go down after a while, but are noticeable. The injection is also a little painful sometimes due to the size of the needle.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is there anything you find particularly tricky in hotels?

In hotels, I would have an English breakfast daily, when available, or if I couldn't face all of it, scrambles eggs, or bacon and grilled tomato, or a couple of fried eggs, mushrooms, so in UK, I'd be fine.

In Europe, it could be even simpler, at breakfast, as a continental brekkers, with ham, cheese and hard boiled eggs, there are lots of choices there.

At dinner, many people find eateries are content to add extra veg/salad in exchange for the heavy carbs (potatoes or chips).

I'm hoping I don't sound dismissive.