Article from CBC.ca interesting reading.....

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow, interesting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess that's what happens when you treat the symptom and not the underlying cause...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The other way to write the article would have been to say "We know that there a number of metabolic factors that go wrong in T2, but we don't know why, or precisely what, therefore we haven't got any drugs to treat them. Instead, in the early days, we worked out that we could ameliorate the symptoms by reducing blood glucose levels so have focused on that."

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Kraft found plenty of evidence that hyperinsulinaemia increased the risk of a lot of health issues (including heart disease and metabolic syndrome). For decades before bg was affected. There's a potential 'cause' if they guy wants to investigate it.

And I'm curious about what definitions of terms were used.

The phrase 'tight control of blood sugars' is very vague. So is the reference to higher bg levels and higher risk of complications.

I think Jenny Ruhl might cast her beady eye over this in the future. I hope so! ;)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmn. Well, reducing insulin levels helps too. Getting rid of insulin resistance.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As usual, the pharmacological approach is the only one they're interested in. No mention of other lifestyle factors that impact BG levels.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
This study just shows that the drugs to lower BG don't work very well, especially when patients are told to eat lots of carbs.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. But it may be that the underlying driver of cardiovascular damage, at least, is high circulating insulin in the system.

This paper is about survival and absence of kidney damage in Type 1s linked to insulin sensitivity. But it would apply to Type 2 as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24936249/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then why have the vast majority of people died of cardiac arrest without high blood sugars?

Because you can have insulin resistance for years, possibly decades before developing high blood glucose.
And many of those who have insulin resistance do not necessarily develop diabetes.

Here is an interview with Kraft himself. It is long, but well worth the effort.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because you can have insulin resistance for years, possibly decades before developing high blood glucose.
And many of those who have insulin resistance do not necessarily develop diabetes.

Here is an interview with Kraft himself. It is long, but well worth the effort.

For a summary of what Kraft found, see the first post in the thread below. It later got derailed into arguing, but post # 1 is a full summary of his findings relevant to this subject.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/joseph-kraft-and-hidden-diabetes.83741/

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LucySW - I've purchased the Keto Summit package and currently listening to an interview with Dr Catherine Crofts who wrote her PhD on Kraft's work (he passed his research results on to her). Fascinating stuff :)

If you haven't already seen it, I've posted details about the Summit here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/online-keto-summit.107947/#post-1251305

I've watched a lot of online summits over the past few years and have to say, this is probably the most professionally made that I've run across so far.