Cellnovo Artificial Pancreas

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I going to be a first time pump user after living with type 1 for nearly 40 years, has anyone have any experience with the CellNovo pump patches?
Currently I'm looking at getting an Accucheck insight pump, but saw this Cellnovo system and wasn't sure if the NHS support this type of CGM technology?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I going to be a first time pump user after living with type 1 for nearly 40 years, has anyone have any experience with the CellNovo pump patches?
Currently I'm looking at getting an Accucheck insight pump, but saw this Cellnovo system and wasn't sure if the NHS support this type of CGM technology?

As far as I'm aware CellNovo do not support CGM today. There pumps were recalled last year and had to be replaced, I'm not sure many hospitals have arrangements to supply them. Try doing a search on the name as a few people who post on here have or do use them.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Julian_Hands - The Cellnovo system isn't a CGM system, it's probably better described as a pump system with a high level of integration with an online lifestyle management suite. The only available Artificial Pancreas systems are similar to the OpenAPS system which you have to build yourself in some shape or form. Cellnovo are part of the Diabeloop group and working with Type Zero technologies to build a commercial Artificial Pancreas.

Cellnovo currently doesn't support CGM either although there have been rumours of a link up with Dexcom and I think Roche as well in the past.

What you are getting with Cellnovo is a patch pump with a rather good handset and a very nice set of tools online for your healthcare team to use.

Reactions: Struma

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Just received a letter from my hospital inviting me to the Cell novo pump demo session in a few weeks. I guess its been approved in the UK and CCG's (Clinical Commissioning Groups). Having googled it, about the only thing that is new as opposed to what I am currently using (Omnipod) is the touch screen technology on the PDM , the pump that is attached to you doesn't look all that impressive but I guess that's just my view - it does have the option to wear it as a patch pump or a tethered pump, but for me that wouldn't be an option - I wouldn't want any tubing so patch is definitely what I'd want. Oh and it has an Activity monitor on the pump, which the Omnipod doesn't have.

Any one else been offered this demo by their Diabetes team? Any views?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are a few users out there. At their last investor presentation, they mentioned that they have only shipped 452 complete systems (probably due to the issues they saw early on) but that was back in July 2016. Worth a look on Twitter as there are a few on there.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just received a letter from my hospital inviting me to the Cell novo pump demo session in a few weeks. I guess its been approved in the UK and CCG's (Clinical Commissioning Groups). Having googled it, about the only thing that is new as opposed to what I am currently using (Omnipod) is the touch screen technology on the PDM , the pump that is attached to you doesn't look all that impressive but I guess that's just my view - it does have the option to wear it as a patch pump or a tethered pump, but for me that wouldn't be an option - I wouldn't want any tubing so patch is definitely what I'd want. Oh and it has an Activity monitor on the pump, which the Omnipod doesn't have.

Any one else been offered this demo by their Diabetes team? Any views?
I should be going on the cellnovo pump in the coming few weeks. I was supposed to be going on it a few weeks back but there was a problem with the pump so the hospital couldnt issue it to anyone since there were too many problems at the time.