Curious about bloods...

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read few posts about keeping bloods about 5. I understand that high bloods will cause problems.

My question I do a lot of sport, from rugby to triathlons. I need to fuel right, not always carbs.

I have a lot of gels on long runs and rides, which is sugar and other goodies. I know it is spiking my blood as that is its job.

Is this ok?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suggest you read some books on the ketogenic diet and performance, especially as regards endurance exercise. Some resources:

Jeff Volek & Steve Phinney: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.
Mark Sisson: Primal Endurance
Prof Tim Noakes - he has publicly renounced his advice on carb loading for runners - and he invented the first "gels" :D

There are lots of videos by these experts (and others like Ben Greenfield and Phil Maffetone) on Youtube if you go looking.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have any idea how you blood glucose is before, during and after? Rugby and triathlon will have different energy expenditure throughout them so you can't really give a blanket recommendation. Also fueling right isn't really done on the moment, but before (hours, days and weeks). But this get's a lot more complicated with any form of diabetes.

As you know it's spiking your BS do you know how much it is spiking your BS? Is it beyond safe levels or still within them? Carbs should form no problem if you're using them, the trick off course is to figure out how much you need.

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd suggest you read some books on the ketogenic diet and performance, especially as regards endurance exercise. Some resources:

Jeff Volek & Steve Phinney: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.
Mark Sisson: Primal Endurance
Prof Tim Noakes - he has publicly renounced his advice on carb loading for runners - and he invented the first "gels" :D

There are lots of videos by these experts (and others like Ben Greenfield and Phil Maffetone) on Youtube if you go looking.

Thank you

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have any idea how you blood glucose is before, during and after? Rugby and triathlon will have different energy expenditure throughout them so you can't really give a blanket recommendation. Also fueling right isn't really done on the moment, but before (hours, days and weeks). But this get's a lot more complicated with any form of diabetes.

As you know it's spiking your BS do you know how much it is spiking your BS? Is it beyond safe levels or still within them? Carbs should form no problem if you're using them, the trick off course is to figure out how much you need.

No I don't take readings after a gel. I might do to see what happens

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you looked at www.runsweet.com (mainly for people with type 1 diabetes) and / or www.teambloodglucose.com (sections for type 1 and 2 diabetes)? When you say bloods under 5, what type of blood test (finger prick with home meter or HBA1c venous blood taken at surgery / clinic) and which units do you mean?
Usual advice is to check 30 minutes after completing exercise, whether a rugby match or any length of triathlon. If longer than a sprint tri, I'd suggest testing at each transition too. I volunteer at lots of triathlons (Roade kids and adults on Sat and yesterday), but prefer to compete in orienteering, mountain running etc.

Reactions: Bebo321

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read few posts about keeping bloods about 5. I understand that high bloods will cause problems.

My question I do a lot of sport, from rugby to triathlons. I need to fuel right, not always carbs.

I have a lot of gels on long runs and rides, which is sugar and other goodies. I know it is spiking my blood as that is its job.

Is this ok?

It's well worth checking out the science of low carb exercise.
In reality your body will run for days without the need for boosting with carbs, even whilst doing endurance exercise (not that you would want to try it) The point is, that as T2 your body doesn't need those added carbs in your body during exercise except in the case where you want to give your performance a boost. It's more about understanding the mechanics of the body to get the best out of any carbs you take on board.

Considerations:
Your body will fuel itself without any need for added carbs for at least an hour into exercise before you consider taking anything at all.

Exercise such as rugby have periods of maximal heart rate. Any exercise that significantly raises your heart rate will induce a stress response and trigger your liver to release bucket loads of glucose into your bloodstream. You obviously don't need to add to this with sugary gels.

Competition/nerves/excitement of competition will have the same effect - raising BGs.

Endurance cycling/running, you can figure that your body will averagely be burning approx 60g per hour of carbohydrate. This means that after an hour into your run/cycle you should be able to safely take on board approx 1x30g gel per 30 mins without seeing any spike in your blood glucose readings whatsoever. (This isn't strictly required by your body, but may help maintain maximal performance)

Test for all of the above - these are all 'should happen' scenarios, but there are so many varying factors that can alter the results. Test your bloods before, during and after your activity to be sure that you get the best results (both for performance and blood glucose management).