Low Carb and Exercise!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I wondered if anyone would like to tell us their exercise for the day;

Yesterday I walked through Huntingdon town centre, today Hubby and I with the three doggies walked to the bottom of the drive, touched the gate and climbed back up the hill. I am now hot and sweaty and tired. It is only 250 yards there and the same back but I am buttered!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't remember how long you have been on low carb, but it is true that most people experience tiredness at first, until the body adjusts to being on a low carb diet and becomes more efficient at burning ketones as fuel. In your case (I have seen your posts before and seem to recall that you are on a lot of different medications) that could have an effect. Just try to do as much as you can do, and you will slowly see improvements in your stamina. Some people need more salt, try to make sure it is good quality natural sea salt, you can get it from health food shops, try to get the unrefined stuff. Most people adjust fully in 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: Freema

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I can't remember how long you have been on low carb, but it is true that most people experience tiredness at first, until the body adjusts to being on a low carb diet and becomes more efficient at burning ketones as fuel. In your case (I have seen your posts before and seem to recall that you are on a lot of different medications) that could have an effect. Just try to do as much as you can do, and you will slowly see improvements in your stamina. Some people need more salt, try to make sure it is good quality natural sea salt, you can get it from health food shops, try to get the unrefined stuff. Most people adjust fully in 2-4 weeks.
Thank you AtkinsMo. That is good advice... only I am nearly always tired and don't often go to the bottom of the hill, mainly because of the haul up it to get back home. Wish it was the other way around :)

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are all different with the exercise.
From the gym bunnies, long distance runners and body builders, to the ones with multiple health issues preventing them from exercising at all...

Me? I like swimming, but the only form of regular exercise I have ever stuck at (because I enjoy it) is dog walking. It gives them joy and that rubs off onto me. Tried the gym, hated it. Tried kettlebells and exercise videos - YAWN. Bought the obligatory exercise bike and cross trainer (double yawn), and only just got rid of them (after using them as clothes airers for a while). High impact is out (I have hypermobile joints) and I had to give up yoga because increased flexibility is the LAST thing I need. So I walk, and love it. We usually do between 1 and 3 miles almost every day. Less during recent months because the poor beasties were overheating.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
brazil-nuts for breakfast (only 6 of them) doing fitness with my old mum of 82years in the fitness-center from 9:30 till 12:00 incl.30 minutes on the kondi-bike 200 calories
thereafter 1 hour alone on a step maschine 2x25 minutes burning 240+260 calories done there.(lunch a very lean proteinbar ; 0,9 gram sugar 20gram protein)
now totally exhausted ...

when first started I only took some walks every second day 4-5 kilometers also totally exausted.. but always to my limit so that my limit expanded after some weeks to 7-8 kilometers every second day and sometimes everyday..

(now just eaten 200 gram chicken filets+ a small pear 80grams)

and about 2,5 liters of pure Water

dont think I´ll do much more today... tomorrow home-cleaning.. trying to love it.... actually mostly hate it... but cleaning Windows will be a good Work out too

C

catherinecherub

I wondered if anyone would like to tell us their exercise for the day;

Yesterday I walked through Huntingdon town centre, today Hubby and I with the three doggies walked to the bottom of the drive, touched the gate and climbed back up the hill. I am now hot and sweaty and tired. It is only 250 yards there and the same back but I am buttered!
I think I read a post of yours elsewhere that said you had back injuries?
That will determine how much you can do.
There are armchair exercises if you google for them and these might help you?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I think I read a post of yours elsewhere that said you had back injuries?
That will determine how much you can do.
There are armchair exercises if you google for them and these might help you?
That is right catherinecherub... am in the process of being gifted a sit in the chair cycle and arm excerciser and I hope to walk to the gate tomorrow and the next day..... and there on in! As long as it does not rain....don't like rain :(

Last edited:

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Walking does it for me. At the moment too portly to jog any distance ;)

I started serious walking about 6 weeks ago at about 4 to 5km. I have recently managed to increase that to over 10km. Yesterday was my record of over it15km.

Coupled with LCHF diet it has definitely improved my BG levels. It has also started to reduce my weight.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a walker too.

Minimum 10K steps a day, but usually 15-17K which is about 10 miles I guess.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Walking does it for me. At the moment too portly to jog any distance ;)

I started serious walking about 6 weeks ago at about 4 to 5km. I have recently managed to increase that to over 10km. Yesterday was my record of over it15km.

Coupled with LCHF diet it has definitely improved my BG levels. It has also started to reduce my weight.
Well done jonbvn. I hope I will make it to your standards :)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a walker too.

Minimum 10K steps a day, but usually 15-17K which is about 10 miles I guess.
I love pacer! Did 22k steps yesterday. I find it drives me on to do more. Probably because as an engineer I love numbers and quantifying everything. Can't beat a good graph or chart.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ellagy - I'd urge you not to set yourself goals you know deep down you won't keep.

The drive walk sounds ideal, and hopefully as you become more able the more you do, the more you'll be able to do. Of course, your back might influence matters.

Personally, I try to "do something" every day, whether it's a walk in the village, or just doing errands. Whilst just doing errands, I tend to park further away from the supermarket entrance, or a little further from the shop I'm visiting. I also tend to add little into just the way I do things. I'll tend to use an upstairs loo, rather then the closest one, for example.

Exercise doesn't need to be anything that half-kills us - and especially not at the beginning. There's no point trying to take a big step forward when that action pushes you back by two steps.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: ellagy

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@ellagy - I'd urge you not to set yourself goals you know deep down you won't keep.

The drive walk sounds ideal, and hopefully as you become more able the more you do, the more you'll be able to do. Of course, your back might influence matters.

Personally, I try to "do something" every day, whether it's a walk in the village, or just doing errands. Whilst just doing errands, I tend to park further away from the supermarket entrance, or a little further from the shop I'm visiting. I also tend to add little into just the way I do things. I'll tend to use an upstairs loo, rather then the closest one, for example.

Exercise doesn't need to be anything that half-kills us - and especially not at the beginning. There's no point trying to take a big step forward when that action pushes you back by two steps.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you AndBreathe :) I wont do more than I can...and hubby (and the dogs;)) are always with me :)

No upstairs loo as we live in two static caravans joined in the middle. Makes an enormous amount of floor space.... which I unfortunately have to clean occasionally :(

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think what you're doing is great - start slow and build up....that's my plan, but starting at the gym on a treadmill because I'm so unfit and scared of walking in public in case I get too breathless! I'm anaemic so am tired a lot of the time, but am on meds and am definitely getting better. I've got my first full session at the gym tomorrow - my trainer seems lovely and doesn't want me to do too much too fast. Last time I was there he only allowed me to do 10 minutes on the treadmill before sending me home. I have a feeling I'll be doing more than that tomorrow :eek: lol

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I think what you're doing is great - start slow and build up....that's my plan, but starting at the gym on a treadmill because I'm so unfit and scared of walking in public in case I get too breathless! I'm anaemic so am tired a lot of the time, but am on meds and am definitely getting better. I've got my first full session at the gym tomorrow - my trainer seems lovely and doesn't want me to do too much too fast. Last time I was there he only allowed me to do 10 minutes on the treadmill before sending me home. I have a feeling I'll be doing more than that tomorrow :eek: lol

Take it easy at the gym BeadieJay, but enjoy it all the same :)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Walked down the hill, touched the gate and came back up....500yds ....not a lot but a step in the right direction ;)