Low Carb and Exercise!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did you not say, on a post elsewhere, that you were virtually immobilised? Be proud, very proud of your achievements. Every step is a step in the right direction!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did you not say, on a post elsewhere, that you were virtually immobilised? Be proud, very proud of your achievements. Every step is a step in the right direction!
Thank you AtkinsMo.

Reactions: AtkinsMo

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well just back from my second walk to the gate and back for the day. As we left home there were two buzzards flying from our woods and calling back and forth. Lovely start to the walk.

It smells like a Cider makers armpit down the drive with all the fallen apples :)... I wish I could send some to those who want them. I had to get Mr Darcy to pull me up the hill ;):joyful:. He is the only one on a lead, but he couldn't pull one of the girls up!:rolleyes:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well just back from my second walk to the gate and back for the day. As we left home there were two buzzards flying from our woods and calling back and forth. Lovely start to the walk.

It smells like a Cider makers armpit down the drive with all the fallen apples :)... I wish I could send some to those who want them. I had to get Mr Darcy to pull me up the hill ;):joyful:. He is the only one on a lead, but he couldn't pull one of the girls up!:rolleyes:

Sounds like little and often is working well. Not taking your back into account, as I don't understand how that impacts you, but over time, it would be likely you could go beyond the gates to the next corner/x house, or whatever landmarks you have around you. Alternatively, if you live on a form of estate, there may be some circuits you could consider, with or without the drive walk.

It makes sense that for the time being you keep within a radius where you can be pretty confident you can get back home again without too much distress.

If you've been out of the exercise loop for a while, don't make comparisons to others as we're all different.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sounds like little and often is working well. Not taking your back into account, as I don't understand how that impacts you, but over time, it would be likely you could go beyond the gates to the next corner/x house, or whatever landmarks you have around you. Alternatively, if you live on a form of estate, there may be some circuits you could consider, with or without the drive walk.

It makes sense that for the time being you keep within a radius where you can be pretty confident you can get back home again without too much distress.

If you've been out of the exercise loop for a while, don't make comparisons to others as we're all different.
That would be good but we live in a wood on a hill at the edge of a main road :) I can drive, and I will have to go further afield to walk. I can however go down to the gate, come back up to the car and turn around and do it all again :) I plan to do this adding one return next week....until I am bored witless with the drive :)

Reactions: Brunneria

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The benefits of walking are certainly not only for your health. Just walking around my neighbourhood I have discovered lots of different paths and routes I did not know. Earlier this week I passed a church with some fabulous carvings and a very interesting dedication on what appeared to be a crypt. All in a city i have known for 50+ years.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
The benefits of walking are certainly not only for your health. Just walking around my neighbourhood I have discovered lots of different paths and routes I did not know. Earlier this week I passed a church with some fabulous carvings and a very interesting dedication on what appeared to be a crypt. All in a city i have known for 50+ years.
Well done you. Isn't it fantastic finding out these things. Any pics of the carvings? :)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Unfortunately it was raining cats & dogs at the time. Will get some on my next visit.
Thank you jonbvn that would be good. Hope you had your umbrella and wet weather gear.:)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you jonbvn that would be good. Hope you had your umbrella and wet weather gear.:)
Got a very good jacket and waterproof trainers. I love walking in the rain, just so quiet in parks etc.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Got a very good jacket and waterproof trainers. I love walking in the rain, just so quiet in parks etc.
Actually, if I am correctly dressed I don't mind, as long as it isn't driving rain!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
No walk this morning as hubby had a 9am appointment at the hospital which has thrown me out, and now it is raining!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @ellagy my routine is a 1 mile run (built up to 7 mins 45 secs) 4 or 5 times a week in the morning. I am a member of a gym, so either 30 minute HiiT, Vipre or what I describe as cardio surprise, where the instructor does various - 3 times a week. Static cycling at home gym 30 minutes 2 or 3 evenings a week or Taebo. Just before bed a total of 250 Karate blocks and punches followed by 110 alternative leg front kicks. On a Monday evening 5k (2 mile circa 11 min 50 sec average fast walk, 1 mile run)This makes me sound like a nutter when written down, but it is all HiiT based, so relatively short time, and now I am fit, I find easy, as in a previous existence I was a Karate champ training much harder. Because of the intensity it is not suitable for all, but I am addicted.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi @ellagy my routine is a 1 mile run (built up to 7 mins 45 secs) 4 or 5 times a week in the morning. I am a member of a gym, so either 30 minute HiiT, Vipre or what I describe as cardio surprise, where the instructor does various - 3 times a week. Static cycling at home gym 30 minutes 2 or 3 evenings a week or Taebo. Just before bed a total of 250 Karate blocks and punches followed by 110 alternative leg front kicks. On a Monday evening 5k (2 mile circa 11 min 50 sec average fast walk, 1 mile run)This makes me sound like a nutter when written down, but it is all HiiT based, so relatively short time, and now I am fit, I find easy, as in a previous existence I was a Karate champ training much harder. Because of the intensity it is not suitable for all, but I am addicted.
Well all I can say to that is WOW! Well done :)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Been to the bottom of the drive and back. Have to say I am not in the mood for it today.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to walk the 10,000 paces most days, though my most successful recent day was 20,000 walking followed by 15,000 dancing in an Irish bar. Turns out Keto gives you a lot more energy!

My exercise of choice is swimming. I've been surprised at how effective it is at bringing down blood sugar. I think I now understand that actually the big calorie usage when swimming isn't necessarily the swimming per se, its your body trying to keep warm - which is why the calorie count doesn't change much on type of swimming . maybe sitting a cold bath would work too, though I will stick to the pool for now!

Reactions: Energize

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a number of other health problems besides diabetes 2, and am currently waiting for knee replacements. I go to the swimming pool 2 or 3 times a week, and walk round the pool. I can sustain this for about 40 minutes, and my physio and rheumatologist are very enthusiastic about it as it is helping to maintain my leg muscles, so that my recovery from surgery will be quicker. It as a very good affect on my blood sugar as well.
I thought at first that I would look like an idiot, but the pool is fairly quiet, and there is usually at least one other person doing the same thing.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am going to have a go on my new pedal machine gifted by my parents. I hope to do half an hour while Mr E makes tea!

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
This morning My bike ride
d09b26a52a5628991dc326b4509bab13.jpg

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz