Risks of depression

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys and gals,

So I heard that people with diabetes have a higher chance of suffering with depression.

I recently was diagnosed by my doctor and I was interested to know whether it was due to the stress of diabetes or just a risk factor that is created with having diabetes.

It kind of came out of nowhere and there is no logical explanation. I'm not a stressful person so it's a mystery to me.

Keep smiling

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I recently was diagnosed by my doctor and I was interested to know whether it was due to the stress of diabetes or just a risk factor that is created with having diabetes.

As someone newly diagnosed I would say it's due to the shock of being diagnosed with diabetes and having to come to term with dealing with it and managing the condition, but people with diabetes are more prone to depression than people who don't have the condition as the following article explains:

According to NICE, people who are diagnosed with a chronic physical health problem such as diabetes are 3 times more likely to be diagnosed with depression than people without it.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-depression.html

Hopefully in the next few weeks/months you should start to feel better in yourself Mark, if you don't then I'd certainly mention the depression to your Dr or diabetes care team. Best wishes.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am interested in what members replies will be. I am type 2 and have bipolar. I have read and been told by my pysch that having bipolar, its very common to get type2. Also one of the pysch meds i am on, is well known to cause type 2 but i can't see the connection. Pysch wants to keep me on that med at a low dise, because my diabetes is more controlled and the med is really helping me

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a lot of people gets diabetes from anti-depressive meds and from anti-pshychotic meds too, these meds do raise the risk of getting diabetes rather much ...

Reactions: Prem51 and ally1

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had an encounter with depression a few years back (I mean serious depression) As it turned out the medical staff I had at the time were quite methodical. It was believed that the cause was artificial sweeteners - something that both type 1 and 2s often consume. I was also drinking a lot of pop with artificial sweetener - 1 liter/day. The medical staff told me to stop drinking that and replace it with ordinary water - after about 2 weeks my depression went away and has never come back. Perhaps it was coincidence but personally I would suggest to anyone who has diabetes and suffering from depression to try and measure the amount of artificial sweetener you consume and if at possible try to cut down on it or perhaps stop it all together to see if that is the cause.

Reactions: Prem51

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes diabetes causes depression, especially women on insulin. I'm a retired certified nutritionist consultant in the U.S. I mostly treated obesity and type 2 diabetes. Nutrition plays a huge role in depression and treating depression. Latest studies prove depression can be an allergic reaction to inflammation of the brain, sucessfully treated by EPA/DHA omega-3. An excellent book to read by the #1 functional medicine doctor in the U.S. is The Ultra Mind Solution by Dr Mark Hyman. Also has a book called The Blood Sugar Solution and a new one called Eat Fat Get Thin. I've red and use, all his books. Amazon.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys and gals,

So I heard that people with diabetes have a higher chance of suffering with depression.

It kind of came out of nowhere and there is no logical explanation. I'm not a stressful person so it's a mystery to me.

Keep smiling
For me, it was the initial diagnosis, plus the realisation that the dietary advice was obvious nonsense, and the treatment was going to be inadequate; based, as it is, on waiting for the patient to deteriorate before the NHS does anything about it. I needed counselling as a result of this, and am still taking antidepressants - mainly because I still gave very little confidence that the NHS will look after me.