The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's insane really, what would the governments/NHS reaction be if a new illness with the same devastating results as T2D, struck the nation now, this week?

Reactions: Freema and BeccyB

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Panorama used to be a serious investigative program.

One can only hope they have returned to the old style with this episode, but I don't hold out too much hope.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Highly doubt I will watch it as it is more aimed at T2 diabetes. Sadly we all know what diabetes can do if you don't manage the condition to the best you can.

Reactions: Freema

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm not getting my hopes too high about this programme. Panorama is only half an hour long, and I've seen a whole host of clips, including the one of the poor bloke who can't control his chocolate addiction and is struggling to eat the way he's been told to, and the man who burnt his foot and ended up having to have it amputated.

I have a nasty suspicion that, rather than being sympathetic to the plight of T2 diabetics and addressing what the NHS can do to cope better with this "epidemic" (dietary advice changes, for a start), it will be another round of the blame game in which we T2s are entirely at fault for bringing it on ourselves.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Highly doubt I will watch it as it is more aimed at T2 diabetes. Sadly we all know what diabetes can do if you don't manage the condition to the best you can.

I am type 1 too, but I will still watch it, as I like to know what is going on with diabetes.

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having phoned my doctor for a proactive way of controlling my diabetes, to be told she was far too busy to talk to me, and my nurse is overworked and cannot phone me, it seems when we have a reaction they have to take us seriously, I have asked for medical help, and nobody is interested, this forum has given me more advice than any medical person, they put us into a pocket give us medicine, and don't want to know when we know we are in difficulties.

Reactions: Mbaker and Prem51

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
The BBC link to this runs with 'One mistake and leg lost'. But it wasn't one mistake it was a series of mistakes most from the NHS and their woeful advice on diet and diabetes. There is no reason whatsoever for that gentleman to have developed neuropathy to such an extent that he lost all sensation in his feet.

Type 2 diabetes: How one mistake led a man to lose a foot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37512185

Reactions: Prem51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I will be watching the programme

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quote from programme: "Type 1 diabetes - the type you're born with"

What on earth??? I'm not going to trust much they say now!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The guillotine operation, I was hiding behind my hand. the programme said 1 in 10 people in Birmingham have type 2 diabetes :wideyed:
Quote from programme: "Type 1 diabetes - the type you're born with"

What on earth??? I'm not going to trust much they say now!

I thought that too !!

Reactions: Prem51 and azure

Jo123

"The trigger bad diet and lack of exercise" I'm already Very annoyed, I had the perfect diet according to the nhs and ran 5k three times a week, normal Bmi, and was diagnosed prediabetic what a load of bull. Categorising all diabetics as eating rubbish and being lazy basically.

Reactions: Prem51

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
The biggest problem is junk food & processed easily available food. Too much McDonalds, Burger King etc. Idle parents giving their kids cans of fizzy pop & junk food. Around here Greggs sausage rolls are referred to as "Kid's Dummies" ! Anything to keep the kids quiet. Look at a fat parent/s & you will often see fat kids.

These parents are incapable of raising children properly.
Always the "Blame" culture.

Stuart5646

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had to turn it off to record and watch later as I don't want to scare my daughter, it's scaring me enough, the thing that has worried me though is the tone of the program seems very much along the lines of it's a one way journey to complications. I'm fairly new to all this and hope I'm making some real changes and it's that hope that gets me there. Surely hope is the thing we all need to keep us on the straight and narrow to keep in control, I do hope that there is some positives from the program

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just don't watch it. Know that you are doing well - we don't need to watch a scaremonging BBC production, I lasted 5 minutes ...

Jo123

The biggest problem is junk food & processed easily available food. Too much McDonalds, Burger King etc. Idle parents giving their kids cans of fizzy pop & junk food. Around here Greggs sausage rolls are referred to as "Kid's Dummies" ! Anything to keep the kids quiet. Look at a fat parent/s & you will often see fat kids.

These parents are incapable of raising children properly.
Always the "Blame" culture.

But my husband is also prediabetic doesn't run but walks 5 miles briskly everyday. We never have big macs, sausage rolls etc.
Lots of fat people don't have diabetes.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
But my husband is also prediabetic doesn't run but walks 5 miles briskly everyday. We never have big macs, sausage rolls etc.
Lots of fat people don't have diabetes.

No, but a lot certainly do.