The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You're all going to have to trust me on this as I'm not showing...

I have a pretty impressive six pack and proud to say I never been to a gym.:)

Sad to say though.... I have no medals / cups :(
Oh go on @hankjam ;)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike - If you are suggesting that bariatric surgery would, wholesale, cure eating disorders than I'm afrain you appear to be misguided. I feel you would be astonished by how many calories a person having had this style of surgery can manage to consume in a day, if they either want to, or indeed, by virtue of their eating disorder are compelled to.
I'm suggesting that eating disorders are in the most part psycological, psychiatrical or neurologic problem that should be treated as such.
For instance bulimia is a symtptom of depression, so giving some Prozac and comportamental theraphy will cure the depression and this in turn will cure the eating problem. Saying to a bulimic (or anorexic) patient that it's only a question of willpower works less that giving them an electric shock.
At the same time bariatric surgery will maybe remove the symtom but not the underlying problem. Unfortunaely I think that having to go to the "asylum" is deemed a hameful thing, when instead having an operation at the stomach is not.

On a related note: i've quit smoking alone eight year ago, prom a pack a day to nothing. It's hard and requires willpower. IF someone likes to quit smoking but fails I'm the first to suggest them to call the Smokeline and get an appointment.

I'm unsure whom you are suggesting has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), but if it's me, I can assure you I might be eccentric, and at times, left field, but I don't have NPD.

If it's not me you are inferring has NPD, I'm not asking you to declare whom it might be.
It was not you whom I was refferring, but i was thinking about one series of comment I've read in this thread about the fact that if one is obese is only for lack of willpower. Things that I've read since when I connected with a 2400 bps modem to a BBS: maybe I should have used the term "spitting venom behind a keyboard" to be more clear.

Reactions: Prem51
S

serenity648

I'm suggesting that eating disorders are in the most part psycological, psychiatrical or neurologic problem that should be treated as such.
For instance bulimia is a symtptom of depression, so giving some Prozac and comportamental theraphy will cure the depression and this in turn will cure the eating problem. Saying to a bulimic (or anorexic) patient that it's only a question of willpower works less that giving them an electric shock.

ermm........its neither that simple or straightforward. There are many causes of eating disorders, including bulimia. Giving an antidepressant wont cure the bulimia on its own.

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/information/eating-disorder

it is interesting that hormone problems can be a cause of eating disorders.

Reactions: Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the same time bariatric surgery will maybe remove the symtom but not the underlying problem. Unfortunaely I think that having to go to the "asylum" is deemed a hameful thing, when instead having an operation at the stomach is not.

On a related note: i've quit smoking alone eight year ago, prom a pack a day to nothing. It's hard and requires willpower. IF someone likes to quit smoking but fails I'm the first to suggest them to call the Smokeline and get an appointment.

It was not you whom I was refferring, but i was thinking about one series of comment I've read in this thread about the fact that if one is obese is only for lack of willpower. Things that I've read since when I connected with a 2400 bps modem to a BBS: maybe I should have used the term "spitting venom behind a keyboard" to be more clear.

In which case, we sort of agree, to an extent, but to explore any further would be a derailment from the thread. Thanks for clarifying.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In which case, we sort of agree, to an extent, but to explore any further would be a derailment from the thread. Thanks for clarifying.
I'm sorry, but as you could guess, English isn't my native language. I still have some problems when writing or talking about complex subjects.
Anyway I absolutely agree to stop here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndBreathe

Dutchman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been T2 for 20 years now and do low carb diets. I did the Atkins and the results were great. That was my introduction to low carb dieting. Even now there are unanswered questions about insulin dosage....... should the dose be reduced if the bloods are low and increased if the reading's are high?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
A somewhat less sensational program was on before this on BBC1 Wales - Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen. It should be available shortly on iplayer.

The program provided quite a balanced approach (IMHO). It certainly questioned the current NHS dietary guidelines. It was nice to see that after 3 weeks on LCHF the presenter's cholesterol was down and he had lost half a stone in weight.

I will post this in the low carb diet forum, since I think it adds value.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xwstx

I watched the Welsh programme and thought it was great , that approach certainly works for me.
I don't usually watch Panorama because it's always one sided , it didn't let me down with the blame game.
That said because I'm going to keep it on my sky plus and watch it periodically to keep me on track .The main message I'm taking away from it is avoid complications.