Sweet Potatoes

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Yes.. there's more carbohydrate in sweet potatoes than normal potatoes. Not much though.. I think per 100g there's 3g more carbs in sweet potato. :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty high carb though.. personally I would avoid at all costs.
The clue is in the name I feel. I tried growing sweet potatoes a couple of years ago but they were all eaten from the inside out by something with a sweet tooth. Probably just as well. Then I grew butternut squash (there's another thread on them on here) but they're too sweet for me too. So this year I managed to grow celeriac, which is an amazingly versatile substitute for spud.

Reactions: everway9

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The clue is in the name I feel. I tried growing sweet potatoes a couple of years ago but they were all eaten from the inside out by something with a sweet tooth. Probably just as well. Then I grew butternut squash (there's another thread on them on here) but they're too sweet for me too. So this year I managed to grow celeriac, which is an amazingly versatile substitute for spud.

I dont think I have ever tried celeriac. I'm going to now. Thanks :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow didn't realise that celeriac has only 2.3g of carbs per 100g. Might have to give it a try.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I resent having to pay more for "minority" food which is why I see what I can grow on my allotment.

Reactions: Salvia and everway9

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I resent having to pay more for "minority" food which is why I see what I can grow on my allotment.

Good for you! :)

There's a lot to be said for growing your own.
Way cheaper in the long run and extremely rewarding/satisfying. :)

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.

It's been a while since I've been on. I hope y'all doing good tonight! :)

I would ask this question on a food forum but why would I when this forum is full of great people who know a lot about food.

I have never tasted them that I can remember.

I do not know what made me buy some but I bought 2 today and thought that I'd ask you all firstly, what they taste like and secondly what your favorite way(s) of cooking them are and what they go well with?

Anyone? :)

Edited: 22:00 26/09. In case you missed it... I bought sweet potatoes. :)
I love them roasted or mashed with carrot!
Hi everyone.

It's been a while since I've been on. I hope y'all doing good tonight! :)

I would ask this question on a food forum but why would I when this forum is full of great people who know a lot about food.

I have never tasted them that I can remember.

I do not know what made me buy some but I bought 2 today and thought that I'd ask you all firstly, what they taste like and secondly what your favorite way(s) of cooking them are and what they go well with?

Anyone? :)

Edited: 22:00 26/09. In case you missed it... I bought sweet potatoes. :)
I love them seasoned and roasted or mashed with carrot! Very nice...yes a bit sweet but a nice change!

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So this year I managed to grow celeriac, which is an amazingly versatile substitute for spud.

Hi @DeejayR. Can you cook them the same way as potatoes? For example.. peel, chop and boil. Do they have a similar texture to normal potatoes? Do they actually taste like celery? I've never been a fan of celery so I think it will depend on how strong the taste is whether I will like them or not. Thanks. :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @DeejayR. Can you cook them the same way as potatoes? For example.. peel, chop and boil. Do they have a similar texture to normal potatoes? Do they actually taste like celery? I've never been a fan of celery so I think it will depend on how strong the taste is whether I will like them or not. Thanks. :)

Sorry... i was just being lazy. I found the following for anyone else who is interested:
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-cook-celeriac

I have two lamb steaks to eat tonight. They have to be eaten tonight (what a shame :) ) as the BBE is 14th. I'm going to have some celeriac instead of potatoes with the lamb. Yes I know... having lamb kind of defeats the object of going low carb but if I use celeriac instead of potatoes then at least my dinner wont be as high in carbs as if I were to have potatoes. :D

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@everway9 Your link has some good info. But I don't want to hijack this sweet potato thread any more. I'll transfer to one of the recipes thread.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you @DeejayR

I have no problems with you tagging on. You have brought the thread back to life. :) OK.. the subjects been temporarily changed a little and I know exactly what you mean by hijacking but honestly.. I dont mind at all. :)

I went to my 'reasonably priced' supermarket and they had no celeriac :( Looks like I will have to have potatoes with my lamb steaks after all. :D

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And a lot of insulin :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry... i was just being lazy. I found the following for anyone else who is interested:
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-cook-celeriac

I have two lamb steaks to eat tonight. They have to be eaten tonight (what a shame :) ) as the BBE is 14th. I'm going to have some celeriac instead of potatoes with the lamb. Yes I know... having lamb kind of defeats the object of going low carb but if I use celeriac instead of potatoes then at least my dinner wont be as high in carbs as if I were to have potatoes. :D
Why do you think lamb is a problem?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Why do you think lamb is a problem?

I just assumed... probably incorrectly that because it's a fatty meat it's high in carbs. Now your probably going to correct me by saying that it's the type of fat that matters, not the amount. :) ???

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just assumed... probably incorrectly that because it's a fatty meat it's high in carbs. Now your probably going to correct me by saying that it's the type of fat that matters, not the amount. :) ???
Nope.. lamb should have just about zero carbs.. meat ( I would go so far as to say all meat) is fine on a LCHF diet. I had 2 6oz burgers for tea. with bacon cheese and avocado in a lettuce wrap.. not many carbs in that so all good. Fat is what keeps us satisfied so we can eat less. It also has no effect on our blood sugars that's where the high fat in LCHF comes in.

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
I

I love sweet potatoes roasted in olive oil,. I find if I peel and cut them and then freeze them overnight they only take ashour to roast. Also they are now Gi

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I love sweet potatoes roasted in olive oil,. I find if I peel and cut them and then freeze them overnight they only take ashour to roast. Also they are now Gi

LOL.. I thought GI meant 'Government Issue' then I googled it. :D