When did you start on insulin & how do you feel about using it?

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted to find out if all type 2s eventually have to go on insulin or whether you were started on insulin immediately on diagnosis. I am having a great deal of trouble adjusting to it from day 1, psychologically more than anything else. I am still in the early stages of finding out whether I am type 1 or 1.5, as I have been told am type 1 by my dsn, but not so sure now. Thanks

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 5 months ago the hospital started me off on tables but they didn't work after taking them for a few weeks so they gave me insulin I have 15 units of lantus in the morning then inject novorapid 3 times a day when I have meals. it does take some getting used to at first but after a few weeks it just becomes routine. I didn't know what a hypo was until I had insulin scared the life out of me a first but once you know the signs it will get easier to

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 1998 and started on full time insulin therapy in February 2010. I didn't get a choice at that point as my insulin production was too low.... so how I feel about using it? I'm completely fine with it as it helps keep me alive.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Seeker2016 how are you getting on?
I was pleased to go on insulin to protect my 10yr+ wait fetus. After pregnancy back on tablets then insulin again for pregnancy no.2. Tablets stopped working so back on insulin due to severe insulin resistance. Weight loss surgery might get me off insulin but no guarantee.
I'm thankful for insulin as the alternative is to rot slowly. Nhs provides it free unlike other countries so doubly thankful.

A

asparagusp

Interesting. I have had almost 16 years of taking Metformin and eventually a few years ago, Gliclazide in increasing strengths without significant efficacy. A couple of years ago the consultant suggested it would I would be better on insulin and I went on it just over a year ago. Levels are good at the moment but still wonder whether I need the pills.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting. I have had almost 16 years of taking Metformin and eventually a few years ago, Gliclazide in increasing strengths without significant efficacy. A couple of years ago the consultant suggested it would I would be better on insulin and I went on it just over a year ago. Levels are good at the moment but still wonder whether I need the pills.
The pills are to keep the cost of your treatment down. Although gliclazide can burn out your beta cells of your pancreas.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pills are to keep the cost of your treatment down. Although gliclazide can burn out your beta cells of your pancreas.

Really? I'd not read or heard that before. Where did you read that ickihun?

Personally, I would have guessed (and it is a guess) it would be Metformin for the potential of improved insulin resistance, and Gliclazide to "encourage" the pancreas to contribute whatever natural insulin it could to keep the insulin doses down, especially if there is insulin resistance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin is usually given for insulin resistance as @AndBreathe says. I don't think it's anything to do with cost. Met and insulin are different and have different indications. If it was a case of 'keeping costs down' then they'd prescribe Met to all Type 1s. They don't do that unless it's medically required due to insulin resistance. Indeed, it would be wasting money if they prescribed it unnecessarily.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Seeker2016 I'm Type 1 and I love my insulin. I wouldn't love it any less if I was Type 2. If you need insulin, then it's a fantastic tool whatever diabetes type you are. Indeed, some evidence has shown that insulin preserves beta cell function in Type 1.5s for longer.

Getting a diagnosis of diabetes and suddenly having to have injections is a shock, but I try to think positively. The insulin helps keep you healthy and helps keep your BS in range :)

It does get easier and injections become routine :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Really? I'd not read or heard that before. Where did you read that ickihun?

Personally, I would have guessed (and it is a guess) it would be Metformin for the potential of improved insulin resistance, and Gliclazide to "encourage" the pancreas to contribute whatever natural insulin it could to keep the insulin doses down, especially if there is insulin resistance.
Dr. Bernstein's latest book and medscap on-line.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. Bernstein's latest book and medscap on-line.

He states they keep someone on Metformin and Gliclazide to keep costs down? Could you add the link to Medscap please? I appreciate you can't post a link to the relevant part of the book. Others may find it enlightening too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
He states they keep someone on Metformin and Gliclazide to keep costs down? Could you add the link to Medscap please? I appreciate you can't post a link to the relevant part of the book. Others may find it enlightening too.
Will happily give you all you need on Monday when I have endless internet data. Sorry til then.