After meal spikes

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I need some advice, I am type 1 diabetic on novo rapid during the day and lantus at night. I know I should wait two hours after meals before testing, and my novo rapid works over four hours, but sometimes i just can't resist testing after a meal sooner :D coz I'm weird haha, but what kind of levels are normal to spike to right after food ? Lets say I ate a sandwich for example?

I hope my question makes sense, just need some reasurance!

thanks in advance,

x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I need some advice, I am type 1 diabetic on novo rapid during the day and lantus at night. I know I should wait two hours after meals before testing, and my novo rapid works over four hours, but sometimes i just can't resist testing after a meal sooner :D coz I'm weird haha, but what kind of levels are normal to spike to right after food ? Lets say I ate a sandwich for example?

I hope my question makes sense, just need some reasurance!

thanks in advance,

x

What sort of spikes are you seeing?

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the pre meal readings - if you are starting off at 4 that's a big spike, if you are starting off at 8, not so much of a spike?

pre meal they are 6-8, is it ok to run at 11 or 12 for a couple of hours after food? is it something i should worry about ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
pre meal they are 6-8, is it ok to run at 11 or 12 for a couple of hours after?

I'm going to cautiously go with no. It's something I try to avoid anyway (certainly not always successfully!).

So there are things you can do to avoid spikes:

Sugar surfing - not eating until you are under a certain level - this works better with CGM/libre. There's a book by Stephen ponder & lots of online resources in this method.

Pre bolusing, this is incorporated in sugar surfing, but it can take 15, 30 minutes or more before the insulin starts irking, if you eat before ythe insulin is acting, you aren't going to be able to avoid the spike

Lower GI food, or combining macros to delay carb action

This article is really good - http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Reactions: redtree92

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low GI food as mentioned is a great shout. Flahavens porridge oats for my breakfast and sweet potatoes with evening meals. Other brands of porridge are also available. I've always used lantus in the morning. It has a 24 hr cycle so very rarely have any problems with night time lows.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
pre meal they are 6-8, is it ok to run at 11 or 12 for a couple of hours after food? is it something i should worry about ?

How far in advance do you bolus! Advance bolusing can help enormously.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is very little to be done for post meal spikes sadly. All you can do is eat less carbs in each meal, and inject earlier before eating (somewhere between 10-30 minutes-ish) both of those option should help lower spikes. With less carbs helping the most.

If you eat a sandwich (so probably like 35g carbs) and you start at 5.5, a rise of 8-10 should be the high point at about 1 hour post meal, at 2 hours your goal should be below 7.8, and falling back down, and back to 5.5 at 4 hours post.

Obviously if you start at 6.5, or 7.5 you will spike up over 10, and if you did not bolus a correction you should fall back to that starting number in 4 hours.

Without a change in your diet, you will see post meals spikes. Ideally never over 8, but realistically I like to stay below 10, and then start dropping back.. because I am not perfect lol

When i eat and my BS is over 6, i try to wait extra long before eating (like 30 minutes + if its higher) so that the insulin can start working and stop me from getting into the 10+ range post meal.

You have to mess around with injection timeing and carb counting, but its normal to spike... the more carbs you eat, and sooner you eat them after injecting the higher the spike will be (also remember that high BS creates insulin resistance so if you spike to like 16 your dose may not work as well to bring you do and you may need to inject again after 3/4 hours.. which is another reason to stay low)

.....this post was too long -_-.. sorry lol

EDIT - also a jump from 8 to 12 is only 4, so if you started your meal at 4, youd only be at 8 post meal... which is actually pretty good. Soo i wouldn't worry to much, but just work on getting that pre meal number a bit lower.