Tips on making the Libre more accurate?

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys!
I have popped on a new Libre and waited 24 hours before I activated it. Today was the first full day of the sensor and it was full of inaccuracies. I can't really afford this as I've given myself 3 weeks to get my a1c down as tight as I can. I am still finger pricking but hoping I wouldn't have to as much! Is there any more knacks to make the readings that but closer to reality? I find it's about 3mmol out

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
If it is on an arm , and the arrows on the libre aren't horizontal at scan points( indicating a moving BG either up or down) -- I would ring the customer service to discuss.

I started a libre last Friday ( activated on Saturday ) and it has been within 0.3mmol on 95% of bg vs libre.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully it's not a dud sensor as they are not cheap. If it is though - you should be able to get it replaced.

Some people report inaccuracies if they're a bit dehydrated. I'm pretty sure you'll know if you're hydrated or not however, but maybe try taking on some extra fluids to see. It won't hurt to try.

Have you got another meter to compare the Libre against? Your meter may not be conclusive on its own to deem the Libre inaccurate. I've often found differences of around 2mmol/L on different meters I've used. Its hard to say what's right because no meter, FGM or CGM is ever bang on the money.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read of people getting more consistent results on other parts of the body like the thigh. Not tried myself as very early days.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may well be OK to use other sites but remember that the back of the arm is the only site tested and approved by Abbott. Get the wrong CS rep. and they will not replace a sensor that faults when at another site (if you tell them....)
Also they will only accept comparative test strip readings from Abbott Libre Optium strips.

Libre CS say not to attach the sensor 24hrs before activation. They suggest no more than 3hrs. Quite a few people have suggested 24hrs but others don't. I have found 2-3 hours adequate time for my arm to recover from any trauma that would upset readings. There is a technique for trauma free attachment- press and hold down the applicator for 20-30 seconds. You are less likely to jump and stress the needle. It also gives time for the adhesive to work.

As mentioned, test strips themselves can vary by 10-20%. So it may not be the Libre sensor that is "wrong". 3mmol/l difference is not very significant at high levels. You can have a sensor reading an acceptable 1mmol high while the test strip is reading an "acceptable" 2mmol low.
The important usefulness of the Libre is comparisons and trends. See what sends you up and down. Learn. It can be lifestyle changing! As you may guess I am absolutely converted. Don't know what I would do without those readings and graphs. After 7 days the free Libre software download becomes particularly useful to see trends and A1c predictions.

Also hydration can be important. Drink 500ml of water and see if the reading is "better" 10 minutes later.
The sensor is measuring interstitial glucose. This is usually about 10 minutes behind blood glucose so wait 10 minutes before comparing your Libre reading to a strip reading.

Reactions: Struma

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow! Thanks for all the info both of you! I didn't know the majority of what you have both told me-im dehydrated quite a lot so that makes sense! I always put the sensor on my arm as I try to do things by the book when it comes to just about anything in life! I use a freestyle optium neo meter and my hba1c always seems to be consistent with it so I grown to trust it. Today I must admit the readings have been close to what my readings are on my optium neo so I'm hoping it has settled.

Thanks again for the valuable information!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have never waited to activate my sensor? I attach it and activate it straight away, it counts down the hour and then it seems to give accurate results pretty much straight away? :)

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have never waited to activate my sensor? I attach it and activate it straight away, it counts down the hour and then it seems to give accurate results pretty much straight away? :)

Really? I always lose the first day to inaccuracy!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Libre reader consistently reads higher than my meter - but as I've got to know that it does, I'm absolutely okay with that.

If I'm bolusing, driving or exercising I do a blood test in any case - the Libre only takes care of all my 'hmmm, how am I doing?' moments.

I always apply the sensor on the Friday night and activate it on the Sunday morning. Haven't ever activated one immediately after applying it, having read on here of people's experiences. So I can't comment on any differences there!

My own lifestyle allows me to be fairly relaxed about it, but I do appreciate that the discrepancies that some people are experiencing are a problem.

:)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Really? I always lose the first day to inaccuracy!

Well, I spoke too soon, the second sensor I put on was fairly inaccurate for the entire time I wore it!