Why are my sugars rising at night...

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So every other week it seems that my sugars are good throughout the day but come night time about 6-8 it starts rising and won't come down :(

I would change my basal rates but then I know in a few days I would have to change them back again because I would be going hypo it really confusing me at the moment to why it would be rising at night. I don't think I am stressed, and I suffer depression and anxiety anyway but it only seems to be every other week it does it :(

Reactions: Snapsy

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Have you basal tested recently? Our basal needs are a fluid thing, they need reviewing regularly and changing according to our needs.
If you change them and it causes a hypo, try doing smaller changes at a time

Reactions: Type1Lad

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Type1Lad Could it be anything to do with the areas you're using for your sites? Are you rotating and coming back to a not so good site every couple of weeks?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've recently upped my nighttime basal.
In my case the recent rise in sugars I was experiencing has been (by me) put down to the cheese course I have added to my evening meal in an effort to raise my weight. It has a knock-on affect several hours later and I climb all night. Have sorted that with more overnight basal.

But I haven't lost my previous basal rate profile on my Insight. I programmed an entirely new one, same settings as before, and then changed the bits I wanted to. I saved it under a different profile name - ('cheese') and activated it, knowing that I can always fall back on the previous basal settings as soon as I've recovered the weight I'd lost and curtailed the cheese.

For the record my massive new cheese habit has made me put 6lb of the 9lb I'm wanting to gain in the space of just a few weeks! Had better not get too used to it.....
:rolleyes:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Type1Lad I forgot to tag you in my post - just wanted to reassure you that you can have multiple basal settings saved on your Insight and then just activate the most appropriate one. You can always go back without having to reprogramme it every time.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
@Type1Lad I forgot to tag you in my post - just wanted to reassure you that you can have multiple basal settings saved on your Insight and then just activate the most appropriate one. You can always go back without having to reprogramme it every time.
That is one of the best things about pumping, multiple basal rates are so handy. I know I will be needing workdays, weekend, gym days and alcohol days. Been testing tons in the 2 months leading up to pump start date on 9th November so am going in equipped with lots of info/ideas

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
That is one of the best things about pumping, multiple basal rates are so handy. I know I will be needing workdays, weekend, gym days and alcohol days. Been testing tons in the 2 months leading up to pump start date on 9th November so am going in equipped with lots of info/ideas
Although in reality I would use a temp. Basal for gym and alcohol effects

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh my goodness @Type1Bri my TBRs when viewed as a graphic go up and down like a fiddler's elbow!

I've had three TBRs running today, for different reasons (after swimming, then another twice later when my afternoon was more sedentary than I'd anticipated.

LOVE 'em. Mind you it took me a while to get the confidence to set them - and now I'm almost trigger-happy......

When I had a bad infection over the summer TBRs were a godsend.

M

mist

So every other week it seems that my sugars are good throughout the day but come night time about 6-8 it starts rising and won't come down :(

I would change my basal rates but then I know in a few days I would have to change them back again because I would be going hypo it really confusing me at the moment to why it would be rising at night. I don't think I am stressed, and I suffer depression and anxiety anyway but it only seems to be every other week it does it :(

Are you sneaking a crafty chocolate bar into your diet before bed time? :hungry:

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you sneaking a crafty chocolate bar into your diet before bed time? :hungry:
I wish I was but usually chocolate don't raise me much.

Have you basal tested recently? Our basal needs are a fluid thing, they need reviewing regularly and changing according to our needs.
If you change them and it causes a hypo, try doing smaller changes at a time
I would basal test but I would be doing it every other week so have not basal tested recently. Thankfully I think I found it was stress as it has now come back down since relaxed.

I've recently upped my nighttime basal.
In my case the recent rise in sugars I was experiencing has been (by me) put down to the cheese course I have added to my evening meal in an effort to raise my weight. It has a knock-on affect several hours later and I climb all night. Have sorted that with more overnight basal.

But I haven't lost my previous basal rate profile on my Insight. I programmed an entirely new one, same settings as before, and then changed the bits I wanted to. I saved it under a different profile name - ('cheese') and activated it, knowing that I can always fall back on the previous basal settings as soon as I've recovered the weight I'd lost and curtailed the cheese.

For the record my massive new cheese habit has made me put 6lb of the 9lb I'm wanting to gain in the space of just a few weeks! Had better not get too used to it.....
:rolleyes:

I have 5x profiles on my pump but I only use my normal one usually stick with temp basals but thankfully my sugars have now come down I think it was to do with stress as i am more relaxed now.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Type1Lad Could it be anything to do with the areas you're using for your sites? Are you rotating and coming back to a not so good site every couple of weeks?
I am rotating I think i may give my belly some rest though as I have been using that as my main place for 6 years :D

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Diabetes is a right pain isn't it?!! :-( My sugars are usually pretty good but if I change the slightest thing in my routine or if I get stressed, boom, right out of control! :-( Glad you have realised what is causing your sugar spikes!

Reactions: mist and Type1Lad

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes is a right pain isn't it?!! :-( My sugars are usually pretty good but if I change the slightest thing in my routine or if I get stressed, boom, right out of control! :-( Glad you have realised what is causing your sugar spikes!
it's so annoying i corrected it and dropped to 5.6 so i thought a little snack before bed with reduced insulin wake up at 5am with hypo =.=

Reactions: mist

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Argh, hate it when that happens!! :(

Last edited: