I Rebel checking my sugar levels :(

I am 16 years old and have now had Type 1 Diabetes for seven years. Last January I was admitted to hospital and nearly died partially due to pump failure and Bad glucose control. I would love to say I had learnt by my mistakes and now checked my blood glucose as I should, but I don't. I don't know why, I want to I don't want to hurt my mum and family again and put them through what I did, but another part of me feels fed up and confused and feels if i ignore my diabetes it will go away. The sick thing is I know the consequences yet I still can't bring myself to do my levels and take care of my self, i am so frustrated! and i don't know what to do! does any body know any good ways of keeping on top of your levels? or can offer any other advice?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Nobody is going to tell you that having diabetes is easy. We'd all love it if we could just take a day off. Blood sugar levels can be very overwhelming, relentless and frustrating.

If you are able, you might like to try getting in contact with JDRF and see if you can meet some other people with diabetes your own age or go on a teenage group diabetes camp (fabulous fun).

Maybe get a watch with many alarms so it will remind you to get testing and make sure you keep records of levels and what you're eating so over time you will build accurate records of how much bolus you need. There are some good computer programs out there to help with log books.

Are you getting much help from your diabetic nurse? How confident do you feel managing your diabetes and would you prefer more help from your parents?

Look after yourself for you as well as your mum and family.

Pneu

Gracie,

Firstly you are not alone and I guess a lot of people your age find themselves in a similar situation.. certainly when I was younger I did not get a **** about my diabetes and went for a long period without testing or taking insulin this lead to the inevitable and I spent a couple of days in A&E... I didn't learn from that mistake and two years later I ended up back in hospital for nearly a week after coming very close to not making it..

Unfortunately no one but you can take ownership of your diabetes.. this is really rubbish and frustrating but its the unfortunate truth..

The best way to control your diabetes is to get help... talk to parents about how you feel as parents they will be there to support you and help you through the process... make an appointment with your GP / Diabetes Nurse and talk to them, they will be able to offer advice and strategies about how to cope.. trust me once you have got this in the open you will feel much better... I ignored my diabetes because I couldn't cope.. once I had support it was much easier to cope..

Pinson

Gracie,

I read your post a while ago and I have been thinking of you...how have you been going? Would love to hear your news when you have a moment.

Cheers

Veronique

Kiritoasuna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Gracie,

I completely understand where you're coming from, I've had diabetes for 6 years and the majority of that time has been spent with me rebelling against what I know I need to do. I've been in hospital multiple times but thankfully it's not been serious. All I can say is stay strong! Try and find something or someone that will help motivate you. If all that fails maybe try talking to a counselor? I found that subconsciously I was using the fact I didn't do my blood sugars or all of my injections as a way to inflict harm towards myself and speaking to someone really helped with that. I'm nowhere near having perfect control and my hba1c is still to high but I'm getting there! Good luck sweet xx

Reactions: 22nw22 and Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya Gracie,

I completely understand where you're coming from, I've had diabetes for 6 years and the majority of that time has been spent with me rebelling against what I know I need to do. I've been in hospital multiple times but thankfully it's not been serious. All I can say is stay strong! Try and find something or someone that will help motivate you. If all that fails maybe try talking to a counselor? I found that subconsciously I was using the fact I didn't do my blood sugars or all of my injections as a way to inflict harm towards myself and speaking to someone really helped with that. I'm nowhere near having perfect control and my hba1c is still to high but I'm getting there! Good luck sweet xx

That's really helpful information for anyone else struggling here @Kiritoasuna :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm! I do not think Gracie will be reading your reply as it is 6¼ years ago she started this thread.

Come to that, she has not been back either.
I did wonder, how Gracie could be 16 - with '1994' as a suffix to her forum name. I worried about my maths there for a moment...

Mind you, that would make me pretty old too if we were to go by forum names!:)