Type 1 Cold weather

aimeeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else's blood sugar levels rise in the cold weather ? Just noticed recently mine have been creeping up when I'm really cold

Reactions: Freema

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am type 2 and I have also noticed over the past few days that my levels have been higher since we,ve have had the cold weather

Reactions: Freema
A

asparagusp

Your blood vessels contract in the cold and one of the ways you can lower your blood pressure for several hours is to have a hot bath. I would assume this runs parallel with blood sugar.

NB - This is dangerous I have just learnt for Type 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Your blood vessels contract in the cold and one of the ways you can lower your blood pressure for several hours is to have a hot bath. I would assume this runs parallel with blood sugar..
I like the idea of having a hot bath, but I only have a shower in my bungalow

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my numbers have also gone up the last two days.... turned the heat even more up, but maybe mine will be low tomorrow because I did excercise very very much today like 4.30 hours... so I´ll not be able to say..

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Anyone else's blood sugar levels rise in the cold weather ? Just noticed recently mine have been creeping up when I'm really cold
Hi @aimeeo
when the weather changes our need for insulin can increase --- looking for patterns in changes to your BG's over the past few weeks will be a starting point to making adjustments
my needs have increased approx. 6% in the last 3 weeks ( basal and bolus )
hope this helps
x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poison...., a bad attitude, pumpkin food (yuck), pictures of chocolate (such a tease)
Your blood vessels contract in the cold and one of the ways you can lower your blood pressure for several hours is to have a hot bath. I would assume this runs parallel with blood sugar..

I've had 2 hypos recently, during/after a hot bath! It left me a little woozy......

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poison...., a bad attitude, pumpkin food (yuck), pictures of chocolate (such a tease)

My blood sugars are often much much better in the heat, but I can't say that my blood sugars are higher when it's cold. I would put it down to maybe staying indoors more, as I rely on exercise to keep my blood sugars down, so naturally I will hibernate when it gets cold!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
my numbers have also gone up the last two days.... turned the heat even more up, but maybe mine will be low tomorrow because I did train very very much today like 4.30 hours... so I´ll not be able to say..
'Train' - exercise? 4 1/2 hours?!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars are often much much better in the heat, but I can't say that my blood sugars are higher when it's cold. I would put it down to maybe staying indoors more, as I rely on exercise to keep my blood sugars down, so naturally I will hibernate when it gets cold!
Lucky you when I excercise to get my numbers down as a type 2 with obviosly very high insuline resistance... even like today where I did burn 1500 calories in those 4,3 hours including a lot of strength training I only have a sligthly lower number in the next 3-4 hours , and here 6 hours later my number has gone from 6 to as low as 4.8mmol which is actually my lowest since diagnosed...not not very low when thinking of the enormous effort I have done to get that "low"

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lucky you when I train as to get my numbers down as a type 2 with obviosly very high insuline resistance... even like today where I did bur 1500 calories in those 4,3 hours including a lot of strength training I only have a sligthly lower number in the next 3-4 hours , and here 6 hours later my number has gone from 6 to as low as 4.8mmol which is actually my lowest since diagnosed...not not very low when thinking of the enormous effort I have done to get that "low"

4.8, that's good! Right? I'd be happy with that :) 3 Years into my diagnosis, I still didn't really understand how it worked, I was just fixated on getting my numbers down and would test all the time and take insulin even when i wasn't eating, sooo badd! It got as low as.....wait for it.....0.4! :O

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8, that's good! Right? I'd be happy with that :) 3 Years into my diagnosis, I still didn't really understand how it worked, I was just fixated on getting my numbers down and would test all the time and take insulin even when i wasn't eating, sooo badd! It got as low as.....wait for it.....0.4! :O
0.4 gosh that is dangerous well almost life threatening to a type 1 isn´t it ?

and yes it is so hard to accept to have this kind of desease..., but later in the future i think we will be cured instead... in maybe 30 years from now on... by transplants or other manipulations...maybe you´ll have the chance, I will be too old I think...or maybe they´ll experiment on the old ones first ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As a type 1 diabetic also I struggle with the cold and rising blood glucose levels - I have to make adjustments to my basal insulin requirements, have just increased by 10% as struggling to get a reading below 10mmol/l at the moment :(

Sorry but as a type 1 diabetic a hot bath is not relevant to me, my needs are hormone driven so type 2 advice doesn't work, I need more insulin, it's just getting it right that can be a real pain..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

@asparagusp this is incorrect advice, hot baths are not consistent with reducing bg levels, type 1 is a hormone related condition, we need to increase our insulin to reduce bg levels, personally I have to increase my basal levels at this time of year to get my bg levels back with my target range.

Please remember you are commenting on a type 1 thread here.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Some of us type 1's find our basal needs increase in the cold weather and decrease in the warm weather, however there are some members that say their basal needs decrease in the cold weather and increase in the warmer weather.......such is life with type 1 diabetes :rolleyes:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nor not about "blood pressure" but insulin sensitivity...

Reactions: passittotheleft
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
0.4 gosh that is dangerous well almost life threatening to a type 1 isn´t it ?

and yes it is so hard to accept to have this kind of desease..., but later in the future i think we will be cured instead... in maybe 30 years from now on... by transplants or other manipulations...maybe you´ll have the chance, I will be too old I think...or maybe they´ll experiment on the old ones first ;)

At the time I was getting numbers like ...9,12, 14. So I would check my blood sugars in between meals and then try and correct my blood sugars by taking insulin, so I'd be at the right level by my next meal time. WRONG! It was an amateur mistake but one I learned from. O.4 was seriously low and very dangerous. I was having so many hypos that I lost the symptoms that come with hypos because my body got so used to it. I'm better now though.

I don't think I can live without my diabetes now to be honest, I would be in a constant state of anxiety (if cured), wanting to check my blood sugar level or worrying about food. Stockholm Syndrome ;) ? And they'd probably find a secluded part of the world to test it! I think I will be too old too.

Reactions: Brunneria

JimmyScotland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many. I can put up with lots of negativity in all forms, it just makes me more determined to succeed when I meet a brick wall lol.
I just bought myself a warm thermal outfit from ASDAs george clothes range. Keeps me warm when I have to go out. I did this because I also noticed my lvl go up when it was cold.

Traceyc78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I must he back to front haha, my sugar levels drop a lot quicker in the cold weather. I am struggling to get them right at the minute as I have just gone back on Insulin after being tried on tablets for nearly a year.