I have a pump after 50yrs of MDI

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am very pleased to announce I now have an Animas pump. After 1 day on it I am so happy. I know it is early day's but the first meal I had it was so simple to bolus. Some of the thoughts I have had like how to carry it or sleep with it is now easy. I cannot feel the canular(steel one). Was running low most of last night but it should now be better tonight. At this stage I have been told not to alter the settings But my DSN suggested a change of basal dose. I am very pleased......

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done. Good luck. I got one after 52 years MDI. I LOVE IT.

Reactions: azure

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
YAY !!!:)
pleased for you ......................

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Fantastic! I was on MDI for 23 years and started on a pump for first time last year, best decision I ever made! ;-)

Reactions: himtoo

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Thanks for all your reply's going good so far
I feel more in control now. But trying not to change too much at moment. Nurse said I am very inventive. One thing i did with my bolus wizard blood test meter is to cut the too tight elasticated loop off the case and attach the meter with sticky velcro. This makes it much better. This can be done with any meter. I also had a shower this morning and hung my pump from a piece of cord which hung off my shoulder. It saved removing it.
set change later today

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your reply's going good so far
I feel more in control now. But trying not to change too much at moment. Nurse said I am very inventive. One thing i did with my bolus wizard blood test meter is to cut the too tight elasticated loop off the case and attach the meter with sticky velcro. This makes it much better. This can be done with any meter

We have had many changes in our lifetimes richyb from urine testing and glass syringes to pumps and CGM's, hopefully not too far away from approved closed loops too. Enjoy pumping it was the best move I ever made after 42 years MDI.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
We have had many changes in our lifetimes richyb from urine testing and glass syringes to pumps and CGM's, hopefully not too far away from approved closed loops too. Enjoy pumping it was the best move I ever made after 42 years MDI.
thanks for the encouragement. I have just done my first set change at home, it was very nerve racking. think it ok. Just had my lunch so I will know soon. Can't see any leaks at site or pump. I like the pump so far but I can also understand why some do not want one. I feel more in control now and use temp basal sometimes as settings not quite there yet

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
really pleased for you, got my pump last December and would hate to go back to MDI. The pump really does make life easier

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
really pleased for you, got my pump last December and would hate to go back to MDI. The pump really does make life easier
thanks for that . I now feel more in control and that is after just 1 day. Settings not quite correct but will get there. Just done my first set change so bit nervous

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thanks for that . I now feel more in control and that is after just 1 day. Settings not quite correct but will get there. Just done my first set change so bit nervous
your basal doses will need fine tuning every once in awhile and I understand where you are coming from with the nerves for the first set change but I'm sure you'll have done a good job, in a few weeks it becomes like second nature

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
thanks for the encouragement. I have just done my first set change at home, it was very nerve racking. think it ok. Just had my lunch so I will know soon. Can't see any leaks at site or pump. I like the pump so far but I can also understand why some do not want one. I feel more in control now and use temp basal sometimes as settings not quite there yet
I can understand that perfectly, my first set change took me a very nerve racking 25 mins and i was on saline at the time lol. I was following the instructions in the book and on the pump. Of course it only takes 2 or 3 minutes especially if you fill a new reservoir pior to doing the set change.
My basal rate was hyked up to massive proportions when i went on the pump and it took me quite sometime to get them down to a workable level using the temp basal rate as a percentage medium for this adjustment. I've gone from a 100% increase in basal down to less than 50% basal compared to MDI so you can see the problems i had initially.

Also being on shift patterns involving days and nights created its own hurdles with adjusting basal patterns but now I'm on permanent nights this has given me a stable platform to work on.

With regards to showering i was told by the Medtronic rep just to disconnect despite the pump being waterproof which is what i do.

Great having a pump isnt it? I live it so many advantages.

" Love Your Pump"
Martin

Last edited:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I can understand that perfectly, my first set change took me a very nerve racking 25 mins and i was on saline at the time lol. I was following the instructions in the book and on the pump. Of course it only takes 2 or 3 minutes especially if you fill a new reservoir pior to doing the set change.
My basal rate was hyked up to massive proportions when i went on the pump and it took me quite sometime to get them down to a workable level using the temp basal rate as a percentage medium for this adjustment. I've gone from a 100% increase in basal down to less than 50% basal compared to MDI so you can see the problems i had initially.

Also being on shift patterns involving days and nights created its own hurdles with adjusting basal patterns but now I'm on permanent nights this has given me a stable platform to work on.

With regards to showering i was told by the Medtronic rep just to disconnect despite the pump being waterproof which is what i do.

Great having a pump isnt it? I live it so many advantages.

" Love Your Pump"
Martin
thanks for the support. After my set change i ran high for a few hours. Even corrected and increased with + 40% temp basal. But is now working and sugars good. I have a good stock of blood sticks. I also have a Libre. One problem is, I was on Toujeo which takes 3 or 4 day's to get out of the system. I am pleased so far and set my alarm at night to wake me every 2 or 3 hours to check.
On a different topic our 17 yr old diabetic cat is now passing over in a basket. I love her very much. very upsetting

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
A diabetic Cat! Runs in the family then.

A sad thing when a much loved pet is passing then passed away. I used to work with dogs in security and was by their side at the time of their passng, as my dogs would have been by mine and were always when alive.

Regards
Martin

Reactions: SWUSA_

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most surprised to hear your Basal rate was increased when I started last year ( after 49 years Mdi) mine were reduced so initially ran high. Hope all goes well for you, I am using the Omnipod .

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Most surprised to hear your Basal rate was increased when I started last year ( after 49 years Mdi) mine were reduced so initially ran high. Hope all goes well for you, I am using the Omnipod .
what i meant was my basal, sometimes needs increasing for a couple of hours after a set change. Strangely though my last one went well with no problems.