Hair loss

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Adeydee, I experienced hair loss after losing a lot of weight (about 3 stone) in a few months on the LCHF diet. It righted itself after about 6-8 weeks. I do not take any drugs for my diabetes (type2) and my thyroid is apparently fine. It is worth getting your thyroid checked if you haven't already is a symptom of problems.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Higher blood sugars can cause mayhem with hair growth as I read it, mine thinned out but is back to where it was now my levels are under control. I havent any experience or knowledge of the thyroid references but for me I think it was mainly a hba1c/bs level issue, my levels were really high on diagnosis but in almost normal range now.

Reactions: Serena51

ljmorton

Yes yes YES! I have had lots of hair falling out over about the last 6 months. I mentioned it to my doctor but she didn't link it to either the diabetes or the Metformin but I am convinced it IS linked!
My hair is really thin now, and so far I haven't found a cure I'm afraid :(
Ask for a referral to Dermatology. I complained about thinning hair for nearly five years before referral and I have an auto-immune condition preventing regrowth of hair as it naturally sheds. (Lichen planopillaris). Unfortunately irreversible but earlier treatment may have halted the progression. Not a good look for a lady.... :(

Reactions: Chasida

tson102000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am just looking to see if anyone has experienced hair loss due to their condition and if so have you found anything that helps?
Yes l am suffering hair loss and have had to go buy a hair topper has the list is o. Top and am losing my fringe l am taking biotin and other minerals and vitamins but nothing seems to work l am sure it is the Metformin. Any suggestions would be helpful not had anything constructive about hair loss from my doctors.

Mary_Briggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Yes yes YES! I have had lots of hair falling out over about the last 6 months. I mentioned it to my doctor but she didn't link it to either the diabetes or the Metformin but I am convinced it IS linked!
I had hair loss with metformin,stopped taking it ,my hair stopped falling out,on low carb diet now my blood sugar is right down,hoping my hair will grow back,good luck,Mary
Hello - I have no advice but I am experiencing hair loss too and wondered if it was related to this condition. Interested in your answers!
I had hair loss with metformin,stopped taking it ,on diet only ,stopped los

JuliaEadie

I noticed my hair falling out and becoming thinner 7 months after diagnosis and using Metformin.. I spoke to my hairdresser who suggested I took Headhigh a food supplement from the health food shop as she knew it worked and I would see results in three months. I have just completed the first month's course and too my utter amazement I have sprouted loads of new tiny hairs and my hair is looking thicker already. It hasn't affected my BS either.

ianpotter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-it-all's! Soaps, reality tv, DVLA (they revoked my hgv licence and refuse to re-instate it!)
I am just looking to see if anyone has experienced hair loss due to their condition and if so have you found anything that helps?

Inhave found that using a shampoo & conditioner called FAST has helped me! It's expensive about £30 for 250 MLS of each! But if you can afford it, it does seem to work, I've got a covering of fine hair over my bald patch sine I started using it...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've got a covering of fine hair over my bald patch sine I started using it...
I got the same result after taking prednisolone for some while but I definitely wouldn't recomend it.

Blitzen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pasta, vegetable rice

Jen1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have lost a lot of hair, which I think is because I lost so much weight, over 3 stone, but am happy to say, it seems to be coming back, so give it time

Blitzen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pasta, vegetable rice
Hi, I am new to this, so please bear with me.
However, I too have been on Metformin for about two months and was on Indepamide for some time before that, albeit my diet has been virtually the same for 3+ years.
But after suddenly losing nearly a stone 3 weeks ago, taking me down from 12.5 stone to 11.5 as well as getting my regular blood test via our local "Prevention of Diabetes Study" which I have been part of for about 4 years, then after my weight loss by my Doctor's request in addition to a regular surgery check on diabetics, apparently all results seeming to be about right, I believe 5.6 something.
Having put you all in the picture, I too have over the last week found extra hair in my comb, so don't know if this means anything

aram

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My hair became very sparse after my radioiodine treatment for hyperthyroidism and I became suddenly dramatically hyPOthyroid. Once my thyroxine levels were sorted the problem stopped.
dear my friend
lost of hair is related to zinc level in your blood i had experience at the moment i am better.

Will 46

Hi Baldness does run in my family, but since ive been taking Metformine from one x 500mg increasing to 4x 500mg i am a classic baldy ! lol, yes i do believe its definetly linked to Metformine as in the early days of medication the thinning of the hair was happening quite rapidly until now ive very lttle hair on top fortunately im now grey all over and keep what ive got short and to be honest it really doesnt bother me at all being bald ,havent enquired about cures and treatments, would be a waste of time

Reactions: Freema

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I noticed my hair falling out and becoming thinner 7 months after diagnosis and using Metformin.. I spoke to my hairdresser who suggested I took Headhigh a food supplement from the health food shop as she knew it worked and I would see results in three months. I have just completed the first month's course and too my utter amazement I have sprouted loads of new tiny hairs and my hair is looking thicker already. It hasn't affected my BS either.
Is Headhigh reasonably priced Julia?

hornplayer

And nor should it. Being bald is no big deal at all :)

I know you like to joke Mist, and levity is welcome in most situations, but this might not be one of them.
It's not so bad for men. I, personally, find bald men almost irresistibly sexy, lol, but hair loss in women can have profound and life changing effects. In a world where looks are so highly prized, and long, lush hair is held up as the last word in attractiveness, hair loss can lead to serious confidence issues and even mental health problems.
I'm sorry to burst the humour bubble and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. I just feel quite strongly about this.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I must admit I find the regrowth of hair in an area that was totally devoid of hair quite perplexing I put it down to the preds but am not sure that is so. But I find that I am now able to grip it with my fingers and give it a tug and daughter has observed that it is different in hue to what remains of original hair very odd.

Reactions: Freema