Five years after Newcastle diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where did the time go? Have been plodding on, despite a family bereavement, being ill myself, and my significant other having a mishap and broken bones. Not all bad times as I did fit a holiday in there. I am 6 kg lighter than when I started this thread. Not sure where my personal fat threshold is now, but have been averaging 0.8 to 1.0 lower BG readings. Unfortunately I have had very high blood pressure, despite having been on BP meds since my mid twenties (when I was an active and slim young mum). I have not been well enough to exercise as much as I would like, but have the last two weeks managed a few swimming pool sessions.

I have completely cut out unnecessary carb food (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes). I didn't have them much since I embraced low carbing, but did indulge with a slice or three of toast at weekends. Have never bothered with sugary food, so no problem there. I haven't eaten crisps for years, but currently have a craving for cheese and onion crisps. If I started though, I would become addicted, so won't start. Never have takeaways, seldom eat out, so the tweaking of diet hasn't been difficult.

The Fung fasting theories and methodology make sense to me. I have also read the Mosely 8 week Blood Sugar Diet. That also makes sense. I sort of combined the two methodologies. Sticking with the 11am to 7pm window to eat, most days. Keeping to low carb, leaving out nuts, just a sliver of cheese once a week. I have some days extended the fasting period from 7pm until 4 pm the following day. Some days I average 500 calories, which allows me to have a day or two a week when I consume a bit more, 1,000 or so. I have on busy days when I have been bogged down with the stresses and distresses of daily life used meal replacements. Thought about Newcastle diet, but don't feel like commiting to that, even though it worked for me in the past. Trouble being, previously the change from the low fat recommended NHS diet to meal replacement was a welcome change. Not so since I have enjoyed the full fat foods on low carb regime.

Meals have been based around vegetables and salads. Just a matter of ratios. A plate full of veg, a small portion of protein, a few spoons of Greek style yogurt. Not felt hungry. Drinking plenty, mainly water.

The more frequent BG testing revealed some surprises. Food that was previously fine is not so fine now. For example, yogurt with blueberries used to be fine, but now gives bigger more rapid spike than banana with yogurt.

My intension is to plod on. Possibly including some hardcore fasting from time to time. This is going to be a long term, ongoing plan, even if my next HbA1c is satisfactory, because I think to really get control of all this it will be necessary to get to a weight well below the personal fat threshold. As I can't be sure what that is for me, I have to at the very least get down to the weight I was at the end of the ND I did 5 years ago. Probably beyond that. But, if I set the fence to leap to high then I am setting myself up for failure. So, for now, I will be aiming to lose another 15 kg, then reassess. Of course, as I am 5 years older than the last time, it seems so much more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Pipp Thanks for the update please do keep us informed as to how things progress in your renewed efforts to regain control.:)

Err not that I think you lost control but as circumstances change you have to modify and adapt to the new situation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many congrats Pipp, that weight loss is tremendous. I don't do kg so in my world it is very nearly a whole stone. Gold star to you, particularly with having been ill and a hubby with broken bones.

:):):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @JohnEGreen , @Brunneria , @zand, @bluetit. I really appreciate your support and encouragement.
The losing weight, so far, has been easy. It is a miniscule amount of that which has to go, but progress none the less.
However, as many of us are aware, stopping the regain is not so simple. Eating the way I have been these last 2 months is enjoyable, no hunger, and only a craving for cheese and onion crisps, but I am not sure the weight loss will continue as it has slowed the last fortnight. I am intending to put in a few longer fasting periods. Mixing up and varying calorie intake daily, but averaging 800 a day over each week. Thus confusing my metabolism.

I would add that I am not promoting this for others to emulate. We each have to make informed choices depending on individual circumstances. I also have informed my GP and the nurses of what I am doing, Providing them with the literature refs to explain the rationale I am adopting. I have completed a prescribed 6 month course of Vit D, as I was deficient, and now take a daily multivitamin. For the first time in ages my fingernails are not splitting and breaking. Hope that means I am generally healthier than I was. Hoping that the weight loss will also help reduce asthma.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good plan to mix things up a bit calorie wise, looking forward to your next update :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another three weeks and another 2kg gone making that a total of 8kg in 3 months. Not spectacular, but happy with that and the BG readings. A month to go until my next HbA1c is due. Hoping that success breeds success. 8kg is around a fifth of what would bring me to an acceptable medical advisory level. I would be happy if I could take total loss to 20kg. Plodding on.

Have been sticking with low carb, intermittent fasting, but eating between 600 and 1000 calories a day to average 800 cals daily over 7 days.

Haven't felt hungry, or missed anything, but dare not think of fat bombs, cheese or nuts.

Reactions: Hiitsme

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your action plan is working. Well done, for putting so much thought into it for a start, making the plan, and sticking to it with the knowledge you can revise it as and when necessary.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hurrah! HbAc result back down to 41! A lot of effort for a drop of 2 points, but it is encouraging.
I have lost two more kgs making that 10 kg since I started, so half of the target I set before I reassess. I have been exercising more. In the swimming pool, as other health conditions make it difficult to get around. Also been to a gym session for people with mobility difficulty, and aim to keep that going. Would love to be able to go hill walking for miles and miles like I did in my youth, but that won't be possible, so no use hankering after it. I have managed to get out in the countryside for fresh air and short walks. That really is invigourating. Glad to be alive.
I have, in the main, stayed low carb, eating in an eight hour window. I did have a bit of a celebration and a few beers and glass of rum a few weeks ago, and a glass of red wine on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Half a glass really, as I managed to chuck a fair bit of it over myself. Putting that behind me now, as I push forward to achieve the extra 10kg loss I set myself. No booze.
Very happy that the HbA1c has dropped(just) under pre-diabetic level. Have to see it drop further to give a good safety buffer. I did take the advised Metformin once a day, but am stopping that from today. My blood pressure remains too high, but GP agreed to hold off increasing medication and will review with next HbA1c in January. I also have high potassium levels, which doc thinks could be contributing to the high BP. Going to read up on foods to avoid, and stop taking multivitamin. Doc was very keen that I should long term follow the programme devised by our own, @Southport GP I was so glad she had heard of his work, and agrees to inform her patients of the method of BG control. It certainly beats meds.
I have been seeing BG levels between 5.5 and 7.5. The 7.5 has been 1hour post prandial. First test in morning is in 6s.
I am hoping that the higher HbA1c last time is a one off. It certainly shook me out of the complacency it is so easy to fall into. Of course, some things cannot be helped, such as getting older, and some of my other disabling conditions, but what I can control, I most certainly intend to give my best efforts.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp Progress though I do understand you would have liked it lower with all the hard work you are putting in. Anyway take comfort it's in the right direction and keep going.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pip Great results for all your hard work. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together .... :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for encouragement.
@Hiitsme I really don't mind that it is not a lower HbA1c. Just so very relieved not to see another increase. Not out of the woods yrt by a long way, but I wasn't expecting a quick fix.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Pipp
How are you getting on? My journey is similar, new to this. Diagnosed in February this year. My A1c is 60mmol!! Not good. So I'm trying hard with low carb diet and exercise. A bit hit and miss. But I've found I don't lose any weight if my blood sugar not in normal range! Two days of complete fast and I just creep into normal BG levels! Then a very low carb diet, I can sometimes spike to 10-11 fasting levels. May be the dawn phenomenon, I'm just plodding on, hoping to achieve some results which are vaguely normal
Thanks for your posts
LAR

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pipp
How are you getting on? My journey is similar, new to this. Diagnosed in February this year. My A1c is 60mmol!! Not good. So I'm trying hard with low carb diet and exercise. A bit hit and miss. But I've found I don't lose any weight if my blood sugar not in normal range! Two days of complete fast and I just creep into normal BG levels! Then a very low carb diet, I can sometimes spike to 10-11 fasting levels. May be the dawn phenomenon, I'm just plodding on, hoping to achieve some results which are vaguely normal
Thanks for your posts
LAR

LAR - When you talk about spiking to 10-11, is that morning fasting, or a short while after eating?

I know some folks have a variable success with LCHF, particularly in terms of weight loss, for a plethora of reasons, but it does often bring the numbers down pretty successfully.

Maybe this thread isn't the ideal place for the wider discussion, as not everyone is a fan of the Newcastle approach, but a thread of your own for tips could return you some decent responses. Folks are usually willing to help and share their experiences.

Reactions: LAR

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LAR - When you talk about spiking to 10-11, is that morning fasting, or a short while after eating?

I know some folks have a variable success with LCHF, particularly in terms of weight loss, for a plethora of reasons, but it does often bring the numbers down pretty successfully.

Maybe this thread isn't the ideal place for the wider discussion, as not everyone is a fan of the Newcastle approach, but a thread of your own for tips could return you some decent responses. Folks are usually willing to help and share their experiences.
Thank you
Yes 11 is fasting level, not after eating.