Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi all, stupid question but how hard do you have to press to get sensor out of applicator. I've just managed to apply my first one by getting my husband to essentially hit it into my arm after I failed to get it out myself! hope it's not broken!
All the videos make it look like an say push but this was totally jammed and I have applicator shaped marks on my arm from me trying. dodgy sensor/applicator or does it involve this each time?
Quite upset as it looked so simple and is an expensive item if not going to work. It has been scanned so now I wait...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably used about the same pressure as for stapling half a dozen sheets of paper using an old fashioned stapler.
Hope that makes sense. Very hard to describe what it feels like to add a certain amount of pressure!
I never have marks left on my arm.

Sounds like your applicator was a bit dodgy, and it is very unlikely the next one will be. I have never had a problem.

So long as it is firmly attached to your arm now, and you are getting readings from it, I wouldn't worry, and wait and see what the next one is like.

:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @Brunneria I think we pushed harder than that. anyway 43 mins to go before I can read anything, but that seems to be updating so fingers crossed...

Reactions: Brunneria

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get my hubby to attach mine. It must be very difficult doing it with one hand. I told him to press as hard as he could. I haven't felt anything really and so far none have fallen off.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @Bluetit1802
Glad I'm not the only "weakling". Somehow I'd prefer to be able to do it myself if I continue long term though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So my hour is up and first scan did not work. It told me to restart the sensor or try another. I only ordered to one as an experiment so have restarted and am waiting again.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if it fails to start again ring them, explain you had to push harder than expected to get it to apply. Sounds like a dodgy sensor and applicator, they should replace it - they will want all of the components back though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @slip Hoping I won't have to return it but happy to do so if they'll replace it. good job I didn't pop applicator straight in the sharps bin!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about putting the applicators into a sharps bin. The only sharp bit of the entire kit is embedded in your arm. It is a tiny flexible filament, like a needle, but not rigid. There is nothing else sharp in the kit, so it can all be disposed of in the normal rubbish. Then when the sensor comes off that can go in the sharps bin. It isn't 'sharp' as such, but it will have some blood and interstial fluid on it, so best disposed of safely.
- just to save filling your sharps bin up too quickly. :)

(I am a nosey so-and-so, so I had to take everything apart and poke through the bits, when I first started using the Libre :D)

D

Deleted Account

I recently learnt on a libre trial presentation that the applicator SHOULD go in a sharps bin according to some EU regulation. Maybe in a couple of years time we won't need to worry.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They of course provide pre-paid envelope for you to return faulty items.

Am I right in thinking the needle that inserts the cannula retracts back in to the applicator and actually disengages and freely moves about securely contained within? @Brunneria

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get my husband to do mine too.

He pushes it REALLY HARD and then waits a good 10 seconds or so before pulling it away.

So far, so good here - sorry to hear that you've got one that's misbehaving, @Diakat . Hope they sort you out soon!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I get my husband to do mine too.

He pushes it REALLY HARD and then waits a good 10 seconds or so before pulling it away.

So far, so good here - sorry to hear that you've got one that's misbehaving, @Diakat . Hope they sort you out soon!

Thanks @Snapsy. It didn't work again so I called for help and they will replace it. customer service suggested it is because I am using Libre link and tried to sell me reader. but they are sorting it so guess I can't complain too much.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Snapsy. It didn't work again so I called for help and they will replace it. customer service suggested it is because I am using Libre link and tried to sell me reader. but they are sorting it so guess I can't complain too much.
Oh bad luck - although it's great they're replacing it, I'd say that you're very much allowed to feel frustrated.....!

But very soon you'll be living the Libre life - it's addictive!

;)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm under the impression that you need to start your activation with a Reader and then can use your phone app after it's activated. I could well be wrong. I can't even remember what/where I read this or I could have misunderstood, of course.

Yes, as already mentioned, once you've used the Libre, you will not want to stop using it :) Definitely, it's addictive ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think that if you are using both the app and reader you have to use the reader first.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Replacement sensor arrived today. so simple to apply, non-dominant hand and unassisted. No bruises this time!

Reactions: slip and Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Energize and @Diakat

FYI - it's entirely possible to start the sensor with just the LibreLink app. There isn't any requirement to have a meter, or to start the new sensor with the meter before the smartphone - although there are benefits.

The beauty of scanning with the reader first (and with a smartphone within an hour) is that you have the luxury of swapping between the smartphone and reader throughout the 2 week period; data does not migrate between the separate devices though. If you scan with LibreLink first then you are stuck with using only your smartphone with that sensor for the 14 days.

Although I use my smartphone 99% of the time when using the Libre FGM; I find the reader is far better to use when exercising. The reader scans the sensor a lot easier (anywhere between 10-40mm) - whereas a smartphone has to be pretty accurately positioned over the sensor in order to give a reading. This can prove a bit difficult when running or cycling for example.

Hope this clears things up for you both:)

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @GrantGam1337
Replacement sensor is in place and reading roughly 1mmol/l lower than my meter (although occasionally they are in agreement which confuses me). This is my first day though so will see how phone coped with exercise tomorrow, today has just been work.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem @Diakat :)

There's always going to be a bit of difference between your blood glucose monitor reading and Libre reading. Not only does the Libre measure a different medium entirely (interstitial fluid), but it also lags behind your actual blood glucose by anything up to 15 minutes. So if your BG is rapidly changing, then you may find discrepancies between the two. Whereas if your BG is stable, then they may well be very close to each other.

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is that the Libre reader is also 'water resistant'. So that's something to bear in mind, should you find yourself in a wet environment where exposing your smartphone to the elements could cause it damage.

Reactions: Diakat