1st time fasting, any tips

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've read around a little but still unsure. New T2 and been following LCHF for a few weeks also on metformin.
Had my last meal at 1630 yesterday. Coffee and a bit of cream this am.
What to do now?
Was feeling hungry but coffee seems to be sorting that at the min.
I have a huge amount of weight to lose and have so far lost 5.5 lbs in 3 weeks.
I'm checking bg pre and post some meals. Fasting ranges from 6.3 to 6.7 ( this am) and I want it lower so I thought I'd give this ago.
Any tips would be great.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

Best advice I can give you is to go to Jason Fung's blog (called Intensive Dietary Management) and read his entire 20+ piece Fasting Series, from start to finish.

It is free, and very comprehensive.

The problem is that I could give you all sorts of tips and tricks for what works for me, and what doesn't work, but those are all tailored for my body, medical history and diet history. Whereas your body and histories may respond completely differently...

I suppose the simplest and best advice is to try it, and if your first attempts don't seem successful, then tweak your timing, or drinks, or routine, until you find something that DOES work. There will be some kind of method/routine that works for you, but it probably won't look like mine. :D

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)

Best advice I can give you is to go to Jason Fung's blog (called Intensive Dietary Management) and read his entire 20+ piece Fasting Series, from start to finish.

It is free, and very comprehensive.

The problem is that I could give you all sorts of tips and tricks for what works for me, and what doesn't work, but those are all tailored for my body, medical history and diet history. Whereas your body and histories may respond completely differently...

I suppose the simplest and best advice is to try it, and if your first attempts don't seem successful, then tweak your timing, or drinks, or routine, until you find something that DOES work. There will be some kind of method/routine that works for you, but it probably won't look like mine. :D
Thanks just watching one of Fungs videos I've found on a post from @bulkbiker. It all helps.
Thanks again
@Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat when you feel hungry is probably the best advice I could give.
Let us know how you get on. Lowest blood sugars for usually come on day 3 or 4. But I have built up to fasting that long over the past year. I started by doing what you are doing not eating breakfast and seeing how long it went on for. I also find that coffee with cream is a useful hunger pang stopper.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've read around a little but still unsure. New T2 and been following LCHF for a few weeks also on metformin.
Had my last meal at 1630 yesterday. Coffee and a bit of cream this am.
What to do now?
Was feeling hungry but coffee seems to be sorting that at the min.
I have a huge amount of weight to lose and have so far lost 5.5 lbs in 3 weeks.
I'm checking bg pre and post some meals. Fasting ranges from 6.3 to 6.7 ( this am) and I want it lower so I thought I'd give this ago.
Any tips would be great.
Hi Lisa,

Can I ask why you're fasting?

Fasting has many benefits, especially for T2D's so I have read - and we all have our reasons for choosing to do so. You commented on weight loss in your initial post, it's not your sole reason for choosing to fast is it?

A tip from me though; Bovril:) But that may not be applicable to you; as it all depends on just how strict you intend to be with your "fast".

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lisa,

Can I ask why you're fasting?

Fasting has many benefits, especially for T2D's so I have read - and we all have our reasons for choosing to do so. You commented on weight loss in your initial post, it's not your sole reason for choosing to fast is it?

A tip from me though; Bovril:) But that may not be applicable to you; as it all depends on just how strict you intend to be with your "fast".
Hi,
I seem to be sticking with the lowest bg readings being 6.3 pre meals and I would like them lower. That is with a lchf diet, hardly any for the last 3 weeks.
I suppose I have come to the conclusion that weight loss will help bring bg down.
Also im reading a lot about fasting helping. Also less production of insulin means less storage of fat?
Think I'm getting it right?
Bovril sounds better than beef stock cube

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I seem to be sticking with the lowest bg readings being 6.3 pre meals and I would like them lower. That is with a lchf diet, hardly any for the last 3 weeks.
I suppose I have come to the conclusion that weight loss will help bring bg down.
Also im reading a lot about fasting helping. Also less production of insulin means less storage of fat?
Think I'm getting it right?
Bovril sounds better than beef stock cube
I don't know how much truth is in it, but I have heard that eating tiny meals may help weight loss better than fasting alone. It has something to do with your metabolism getting slowed right down when fasting, and the storage of fat being promoted when eating is commenced.

To be perfectly honest though, I've had just as good results when skipping meals (only eating an evening meal) as I have on a restricted calorie approach (three meals a day but smaller).

The important thing is that you find a technique that works for you and you get the results that you want:)

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat when you feel hungry is probably the best advice I could give.
Let us know how you get on. Lowest blood sugars for usually come on day 3 or 4. But I have built up to fasting that long over the past year. I started by doing what you are doing not eating breakfast and seeing how long it went on for. I also find that coffee with cream is a useful hunger pang stopper.
Hi,
Went 23 hours with coffee, stock cubes, cashew nuts and some cheese. Does that sound right?
Had a ham salad about 230pm but then felt I should have some tea so I could have the metformin. Wasn't hungry. Praps next time I'll just wait until tea.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know how much truth is in it, but I have heard that eating tiny meals may help weight loss better than fasting alone. It has something to do with your metabolism getting slowed right down when fasting, and the storage of fat being promoted when eating is commenced.

To be perfectly honest though, I've had just as good results when skipping meals (only eating an evening meal) as I have on a restricted calorie approach (three meals a day but smaller).

The important thing is that you find a technique that works for you and you get the results that you want:)
I'll just keep reading and figuring it all out. Thanks @GrantGam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry but that's not really correct.. lots of little meals means your insulin is being constantly provoked and never gets a chance to stop being produced. Fasting allows your body to have a break between feedings. The metabolic rate in fact usually speeds up when fasting as your body is being urged to go find some more food.
@Lisajohann2014 For the best results its best to avoid eating anything while your fasting. The coffee with a tablespoon of cream is fine but try not to have the cheese or nuts. When I started I stopped eating breakfast so I could fast from dinner the night before until lunch. Then I delayed lunch until I ended up fasting from dinner to dinner. Then you can try longer fasts. If you have only been low carb for a few weeks I'd wait another month or so in order for your body to become more fat adapted before trying for longer fasts. The less carbs you can eat the better and the easier the fasting will be.
Hope that helps a bit
Regards
Mark

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm afraid that theory has been thoroughly debunked - although sadly it is still believed by a heck of a lot of people, and encourages people to slow their metabolisms with long term low calorie diets.

Jason Fung goes into it in detail on his blog
It is far better to fast than to reduce daily calories - in terms of keeping metabolic rate up.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
Here is the link to his blog where he explains in detail, with references.

Reactions: jonbvn

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but then felt I should have some tea so I could have the metformin. Wasn't hungry.
Have a good read of the Patient Information Leaflet that is in the box of metformin, I never do :D, but wish I had. The well documented side effects lasted a lot longer that normal for me. I resorted to reading the leaflet, and lo and behold there was the answer! In short the manufacturer states that id you are on a Very Low Calorie Diet (of <1,000 cals) DON'T take the metformin. You have been prescribed x pills y times a day, but that is not (quite) in tablets of stone (pun intended)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Personally, I find that the best way for me to fast is just have water and black coffee. I'm on day two right now. Not sure how many days I'll do, but at least three. It's pretty easy to do if you're already on a very low carb diet. I usually do fasts a couple of times a year, but I plan to do it more often as there seem to be lots of benefits, such as brain health and boosting of the immune system. And it saves money and time.

Reactions: kokhongw

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but that's not really correct.. lots of little meals means your insulin is being constantly provoked and never gets a chance to stop being produced. Fasting allows your body to have a break between feedings. The metabolic rate in fact usually speeds up when fasting as your body is being urged to go find some more food.
@Lisajohann2014 For the best results its best to avoid eating anything while your fasting. The coffee with a tablespoon of cream is fine but try not to have the cheese or nuts. When I started I stopped eating breakfast so I could fast from dinner the night before until lunch. Then I delayed lunch until I ended up fasting from dinner to dinner. Then you can try longer fasts. If you have only been low carb for a few weeks I'd wait another month or so in order for your body to become more fat adapted before trying for longer fasts. The less carbs you can eat the better and the easier the fasting will be.
Hope that helps a bit
Regards
Mark
Yes that's helped a lot, thanks

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a good read of the Patient Information Leaflet that is in the box of metformin, I never do :D, but wish I had. The well documented side effects lasted a lot longer that normal for me. I resorted to reading the leaflet, and lo and behold there was the answer! In short the manufacturer states that id you are on a Very Low Calorie Diet (of <1,000 cals) DON'T take the metformin. You have been prescribed x pills y times a day, but that is not (quite) in tablets of stone (pun intended)
Oh dear. No I didn't read that bit. So when I fast don't take the metformin. No adverse reactions as yet! Fingers crossed lol