Type 1 Hi, new to here, can you help?

JTenzo

I have type 1 insulin dependant diabetes. I have recently had erratic readings and been advised that using constant monitoring would help to understand my trends. My diabetic nurse has provided me with a new Libre meter. I have to purchase the sensors for it which cost about £58 for 1 sensor that may last 2 weeks. I am on disability benefit and cannot pay this. Does anyone know anywhere I may purchase these at a cheaper rate? Any help would be appreciated

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @JTenzo :)

I don't know of anywhere to get cheap sensors. Did you explain that you wouldn't be able to afford them to your DSN? Do they have any alternative you could use eg a CGM?

How erratic are your sugars?

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JTenzo

I'm afraid I haven't found them any cheaper than that. I spoke to my DSN about it and she said she wasn't aware of any other cheaper sources. I'm afraid I just resorted to testing a lot more using my traditional meter.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful for you

Reactions: JTenzo

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know of any cheaper alternatives to Abbott, if you are diabetic then you can claim the vat of by just ticking box on order form, helps a little bit.

Reactions: JTenzo

JTenzo

Welcome @JTenzo :)

I don't know of anywhere to get cheap sensors. Did you explain that you wouldn't be able to afford them to your DSN? Do they have any alternative you could use eg a CGM?

How erratic are your sugars?
Quite erratic. Hardly any hypos but high readings even with extra insulin. Need overnight monitoring but not seeing my consultant until January

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quite erratic. Hardly any hypos but high readings even with extra insulin. Need overnight monitoring but not seeing my consultant until January

You could try asking for a loan of a CGM plus one sensor so you could get a full picture.

Has this started recently? The highs, I mean.

Reactions: Propertyoflife

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know this is a pain but can you test during the night using your normal meter?

I know it's not ideal but I am currently doing a reading every night at 3am because I think I suffer from dawn phenomenon.

It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to get access to a libre meter if you cannot afford the sensors but conventional testing may help until something becomes available?

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It appears common for hospitals to only provide the reader.

The Libre is not yet available on the NHS.
@azure

My hospital is no longer offering the meter at all.

They say they have been told that the NHS should not be giving them out.

It might be a Scottish thing.

Reactions: azure

Mei_lahn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm in London - I got the meter and first sensor free with a trial through my hospital. My DSN organised a session with the Abbott Rep. that would give you 14 days of readings and the meter free and perhaps you could purchase 1 or 2 yourself after that just to get a sense of what is going on between tests. That's what I love about it - I scan before I go to sleep and I test when I wake up and it shows me what has happened in the night. Lows and highs and all sorts of goings on whilst I slept! Another huge plus is that when you do a reading it indicates whether your sugars are staying level, increasing rapidly or slowly, or dropping fast or slowly.. so I can be ready to take action and test again soon after. I did not know any of this until I went to the intro session. Yes it's expensive but this first year as a T1 with a very active lifestyle my BG levels are all over the place. But yes it is expensive to fund.. I'm going to do a week of pricking in between every new sensor.. and VAT exempt just to reduce annual cost a little!