Dawn on a new day!?

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Though i'd just write a quick post as am a little confused. Blood sugars have been great over the last couple of weeks and have been 'controlling' the Dawn Effect by basically injecting insulin just before breakfast at 05:15 am with giving an additional unit of Novorapid to cover the 4-5 mmol rise which has always seemed to have been occuring between the hours of 05:00 am to approx 8:00am. Yesterday however - quite bizarly 2 hours post meal i 'crashed and hypoed at 3.6 mmol:eek: - disscovered this on testing two hours post meal which was a little worrying as i had no idea... totally hypo unaware!! this morning woke at usual time (mmol was 6.2) injected for my breakfast but did not give myself an additional dose just to see what happens... then bang!! quite suprised to seem my readings at the 2 hour post meal nicely at 9 mmol!?! - Can anyone shed any light for me please as a little confused:confused: - can the DP just 'decide' to give up the ghost???

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat the evenings before these episodes? or any exercise prior?

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat the evenings before these episodes? or any exercise prior?
Hi thanks for the query - I have my last meal of the evening around 5:30 which is usiually 45-65 gram of carbs try to have reduced fat meals such as salad with a steak slice, fish with boiled new potatoes etc... my levels are normally now very good before bed at about 10:30pm-11:00pm at around 5.5-6.5 sometimes if i have slightly miscalculated my carbs and i am below 5.5 - i may just have a 5 gram snack of a Jackobs cracker with butter or maybe a little peanut butter and do (shamed to say) no exercise other than walking to and from the bus and occasional walking the dog. I have tried to stick to the same type of meals, carb intake and rejime for past few weeks which has seemed to work untill yesterday morning.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so as far as you're concerned food intake or exercise was not any different the night before the unexpected low. So I believe you've had what's call 'diabetes'.......some days, doesn't matter what you do, the result will be unexpected! May be the wind was in a slightly different direction, or a butterfly in the amazon basin flapped its wings just a bit too hard..........!

Just thinking, no other lows in the past 48hrs? you didn't say what you were pre-meal of that morning?

I was wondering what that fluffy thing was in your avatar, now I know!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so as far as you're concerned food intake or exercise was not any different the night before the unexpected low. So I believe you've had what's call 'diabetes'.......some days, doesn't matter what you do, the result will be unexpected! May be the wind was in a slightly different direction, or a butterfly in the amazon basin flapped its wings just a bit too hard..........!

Just thinking, no other lows in the past 48hrs? you didn't say what you were pre-meal of that morning?

I was wondering what that fluffy thing was in your avatar, now I know!
Sorry - my pre-meal in the morning was 5 mmol following 6.1 at the night before - this beast of a thing certainly is unpredictable!!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this beast of a thing certainly is unpredictable!!
are you talking about the diabetes or the dog now? :D

Well I reckon it's that darn butterfly in south America.

TBH it sounds like you are doing a great job and keeping the numbers fairly stable - well actually very stable, it was just a minor blip - and 3.6 isn't that desperately low, try not to over treating a hypo too, just make sure you have quick acting carbs at hand at all times just in case. (2 glucotabs would be enough for me at 3.6).

obviously if it keeps happening then you'd need to do something about it.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the responce much appreciated - will just see how things go - was just a bit confused (**** butterflies!!)... that saying... must be my age as everything seems to confuse me at the moment :banghead: