Pre-pregnancy: Should I be taking any other supplements?

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone. I'm new here.
I'm 27 and type 1 diabetic. I got married back in July and now the only thing I can think about is having a baby.
Iv spoke to the hospital and they have put me on folic acid and basically told me to bring my bloods down. Currently at 8
Which I'm doing ok at, aiming between 6-7 and checking more.
Is there anything else I should be doing? And any other supplements I should be taking?
Thanks
Natalie
Xx

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @natalie22

It sounds like you are in the same boat as me! I'm a type 1 diabetic and got married in June. My husband and I are very keen to start a family but my HBA1C isn't good enough yet. Mine is around 9 so obviously need to bring this down more before trying.

Like you, I have also been put on Folic Acid. Has your GP referred you to a pre-pregnancy clinic yet? I haven't been to one yet, but my referral has been made so I'm waiting for an appointment. I can't wait for the appointment as I'm hoping it will give me some good advice!

The only real advice I've been given is to just check your sugars regularly, so I'm trying to do that more than usual. It's still frustrating though when sugars are higher than expected so not sure if my insulin doses need amending. Do you do carb counting? That is something that may help you.

Melissa x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone. I'm new here.
I'm 27 and type 1 diabetic. I got married back in July and now the only thing I can think about is having a baby.
Iv spoke to the hospital and they have put me on folic acid and basically told me to bring my bloods down. Currently at 8
Which I'm doing ok at, aiming between 6-7 and checking more.
Is there anything else I should be doing? And any other supplements I should be taking?
Thanks
Natalie
Xx

A good, healthy diet is best - plenty of veg, healthy fats, etc. If you want to take additional supplements there are some pre-conception ones available. I took one of those as 'insurance'. You don't need to worry about the fact that that will have folic acid in too - I was concerned about that but my consultant said it was fine to take in addition to the prescribed high dose folic acid.

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both.
Thanks @MelissaC. It nice to know someone else is in the same boat. No haven't had anyone mention pre pregnancy clinic, I will have to ask.
Yes iv started to check regularly, yesterday I was very proud kept my bloods under 6.5 all day but today I seem to be all over the place.
Yes I'm carb counting, iv got the app which is helping.

Thanks @azure
Yes I was wondering about the supplements with folic acid in as well as my prescribed folic acid. I will have a look next time.

Xx

Reactions: MelissaC and azure

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Hi, I too am Type 1 and trying for a baby, doctor has put me on 5mg Folic Acid (which I've been taking for quite some time now) and he also told me to take Vitamin D3 1000iu which I take in addition to the Folic Acid. I am taking some vitamin E too as that's supposed to help fertility. Good luck! :)

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Spicey245 o really never heard of Vitamin D3 1000iu. I'm currently just taking folic acid and have just started the pre pregnancy supplements. Still finding bringing my bloods down tricky though. Some days I'm great but today it's gone crazy again. Went to bed at 5.3 and woke at 12.1 good luck to you too xx

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Thanks @natalie22, same to you. It's so annoying when blood sugars seem to have a mind of their own isn't it?! I am on a pump now and I wonder how I ever lived without it, my A1C has dropped from 7.5 to 6.5 in a few months! No, I'd not heard of D3 either but doc said it's a recent finding that diabetics (and other autoimmune dissorder sufferers) lack badly in. I asked him if it's safe to take whilst trying for baby and he encouraged me to take it along with the folic acid (not sure about if you got pregnant though, would have to check!) I take one every day. xx

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
O very annoying. Some days I'm fine and can keep down at 6 all day and then others I'm suddenly high. I'm just trying to check as often as possible now. Wow that's amazing with your A1C. My last was 8 which has gone down but I'm hoping by Jan it's gone down a lot. I will ask my dr about what else I should take. Xx