Travel Insurance

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am looking for a good company for travel insurance for Europe for a diet controlled type 2 diabetic. I have searched but some of the threads are from years ago. Thanks in advance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am looking for a good company for travel insurance for Europe for a diet controlled type 2 diabetic. I have searched but some of the threads are from years ago. Thanks in advance.

To be honest, aside from declaring the condition to you, I doubt you'll have any issues securing cover at standard rates, unless you have other conditions. I have never found any issue.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use insureandgo too. You can get a quote online and it was cheaper than others I got a quote from. Some of them were twice as much.

Shep1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(1) Diabetes :)
(2) Being told what to do
(3) Seagulls (3a) Seagulls that poo on my car
4) Vimto

I use Alpha Travel insurance. Annual multi-trip (cheaper than single trip) including the USA - £38.50/yr with no XS. I am type 2 well controlled using diet & Metformin. No other complications like high BP or cholesterol etc.

My Mrs pays more declaring her asthma!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We are with EHICplus. £57.12 for annual EU cover for two of us. Both are over 65.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst reimbursement will happen for emergency care delivered in the EU, it's a risk, if you consider how much that could be.

In Italy, my neighbour's partner stepped backwards to allow someone to pass him on a pavement, to fall down a 6ft hole, breaking his back. He was incredibly lucky not to be paralysed, but he did need lots of x-rays, scans and so on, not to mention several days inpatient treatment, before being medivacced back to the UK, on a chartered aeroplane, with him the only passenger, and the care team of a doctor, nurse and technician accompanying him. My neighbour had to book herself a scheduled flight home, as neither were able to return on the flights they had booked.

I'm sure that bill would have been a lot to settle, before being discharged, without the hassle of all the necessary arrangements and the time out of pocket.

Clearly, we all decide how much risk we will underwrite for ourselves.