Type 2 Oatmeal test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi friends,
I experimented with some oatmeal today.
At 8:30pm, I took a 'base' reading- it was 4.6, then ate a smallish bowl of oatmeal.

At 9:35pm I was 5.8

At 10:35pm I was 6.2

I would have liked to be back to 'normal' by the two hour mark, but then I suppose oatmeal is a later spiking sort of food, and I haven't had any kind of starch for months and months, so it could have been a bit of a shock to the system.
To me, it suggests that I shouldn't touch oatmeal again, but if anyone has any thoughts on whether this sort of result is normal or not, I'd love to hear.

A

asparagusp

6.2 is very good post breakfast. Normal range is below 8.5 two hours post breakfast! If I were you I would be smiling!

Last edited by a moderator:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks asparagus: that's actually quite reassuring: I am smiling now, thanks to you. I was a bit concerned earlier though, so I just took another quick test (11:50pm here) and it's back to 5.1, so I guess 2 hrs was maximum spike, then by about 3 hrs it should be back to normal. I'm still getting the hang of readings- I usually just have daily fasting, so anything higher than what I'm used to there sets me looking for advice.
I might go back to my no-starch ways though: is it generally better to go low to no carb, or should I have a little bit of starch to keep my insulin active a little bit?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would stay off the carbs. There are so many nicer things to have than oatmeal..why would you want to have that?
But then again I haven't had breakfast since diagnosis so am slightly biased. Your results weren't bad but re-introducing carbs even if they don't cause too bad a spike can lead to other problems like hunger spikes caused by carb consumption which then causes the dreaded carb creep and your great control goes out the window. It is of course completely in your hands.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those results weren't bad, but I disagree that 6.2 was very good at 2 hours because of where you started (4.6).
What did you have with your oatmeal? Water, milk, other things?

The guidelines do state under 8.5 at 2 hours is the target, but it also says the pre-meal target is 4 to 7. Personally I work on the premise that 8.5 is fine only if you start at 7. Some won't agree, but the variance between highs and lows is probably more important that the levels themselves.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Geordie_P ,

What diabetes meds are you on? (If any.)
A "normal range" at around the two hour post meal mark should be closer to 7.5mmol.
But 6.2 is cool..

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A 'spike' from 4.6 to 6.2?
Stop testing.

edit by mod -- himtoo --
you have no knowledge of the OP's history , knowledge of D , or what spikes or doesn't spike.

The OP is simply telling what has happened to him and looking for positive , constructive remarks to assist in furthering his understanding of his condition.

By testing post meal spikes we all learn what foods suit us better.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@himtoo
If you, as a moderator are telling a type 2 poster a rise of 1.6, to a peak of 6.2, is a 'spike' you are insane.

Justify your warning.
Or moderate me.
Your choice.
This sort of nonsense is why I stopped posting.

@Administrator

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo
If you, as a moderator are telling a type 2 poster a rise of 1.6, to a peak of 6.2, is a 'spike' you are insane.

Justify your warning.
Or moderate me.
Your choice.

I'll "Justify" it for him. Your "stop testing" remark was irresponsible.. Simples.!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a newbie, a long time ago now, I dug my heels in about testing and I delayed buying a meter for 3 or 4 months. Guess who is the person responsible for encouraging me that a meter was necessary? It was @douglas99

Reactions: zand

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I was a newbie, a long time ago now, I dug my heels in about testing and I delayed buying a meter for 3 or 4 months. Guess who is the person responsible for encouraging me that a meter was necessary? It was @douglas99

Yes.
The problem now is the site has gone very extreme, and when a poster believes 6.2 is too high, and a rise of 1.6 is unacceptable, it's time to step back, and think 'Is this really the message we're giving to people?'

This is why testing is frowned upon by HCP's. who hear this from patients who go in to claim their meter, and worry about this sort of reading.
Testing is good, but understanding the test is required.
Maybe I was a bit abrupt, but it's the frustration that's speaking.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Come on guys, this is getting well off-topic, which isn't helping the OP. Spiking is a routinely used term on here for the post-prandial elevation, so I can appreciate why the OP would refer to the rise in such a way, particularly if this is an early revisit to a carbier food.

For the record, it is my belief self testing is one of the single most important tool for self-education in managing diabetes of any type, and with Geordie's relatively recent diagnosis, stopping testing would likely be somewhat premature.

@Geordie_P - even if you do choose not to have oatmeal again, you have the comfort of knowing it wouldn't be a disaster area if you found yourself with no better preference on the menu, for whatever reason.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
The problem now is the site has gone very extreme, and when a poster believes 6.2 is too high, and a rise of 1.6 is unacceptable, it's time to step back, and think 'Is this really the message we're giving to people?'

This is why testing is frowned upon by HCP's. who hear this from patients who go in to claim their meter, and worry about this sort of reading.

In my view Douglas, it would have been more helpful had you limited your response to helping the OP understand his rise was perfectly within acceptable limits.

I think sometimes we forget how afraid and bewildered we all were in the early stages of our diagnosis and learning.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Come on guys, this is getting well off-topic, which isn't helping the OP. Spiking is a routinely used term on here for the post-prandial elevation, so I can appreciate why the OP would refer to the rise in such a way, particularly if this is an early revisit to a carbier food.

For the record, it is my belief self testing is one of the single most important tool for self-education in managing diabetes of any type, and with Geordie's relatively recent diagnosis, stopping testing would likely be somewhat premature.

@Geordie_P - even if you do choose not to have oatmeal again, you have the comfort of knowing it wouldn't be a disaster area if you found yourself with no better preference on the menu, for whatever reason.

Another mod that thinks 1.6 is a 'spike', after months of no starch.
As I said, very extreme, and possibly @Administrator needs to review the guidelines for moderation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes.

OK?
Understanding your initial post was born of "irony", & thus being a "defender of the test" myself. For all Ds. Thus getting the head around the day to day figures..
How's about a virtual handshake?! ;)

Reactions: himtoo

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In my view Douglas, it would have been more helpful had you limited your response to helping the OP understand his rise was perfectly within acceptable limits.

I think sometimes we forget how afraid and bewildered we all were in the early stages of our diagnosis and learning.

I think if the op has learnt this is a bad situation from the messages given on here, the site ethos needs to be reviewed.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok.I apologise to all, but do feel we need to all look at the messages we give.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another mod that thinks 1.6 is a 'spike', after months of no starch.
As I said, very extreme, and possibly @Administrator needs to review the guidelines for moderation.

I did not state 1.6 is a worrying spike, so kindly do not twist words.

Status
Not open for further replies.