Baby's gender!

adamtran1

I might be about to ask a stupid question........I will do it anyway :)
When your pregnant does the sex of you baby effect the severity of the diabetes?

Edited by mod to remove link - advertising is not permitted on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When your pregnant does the sex of you baby effect the severity of the diabetes?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have never even thought of that before, it's a very good question. I wouldn't of thought so, unless there are genetic problems in the person's dna that would affect the sex of the baby. I have had 3 children, only one delivered normally, a girl, I was non diabetic then and with my now teenager, she had to be delivered at 33 weeks and I was 11 years diabetic. But, maybe Goole may come up with some statistics ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gvintagedrken

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Edited by mod to remove link - advertising is not permitted on the site.

Some studies have suggested there may be a connection but the increase is very slight:

http://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/gender/

annie-p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, just viewed your post while I was browsing the forums. I have had 3 babies (2 boys and 1 girl) and had gestational diabetes with all 3 pregnancies although only diagnosed at the very end of the first pregnancy. I can't say that I noticed any difference with the severity of diabetes in any of the pregnancies although I guess it can vary from person to person.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope... and the old wives tales are wrong too!

I am having my 7th baby now, I had gd with my 1st and she was a girl, didn't get anything with 2nd also a girl.
3rd had it near the end needing insulin and was a boy, 4th had straight away needing insulin and was a boy.
5th had it very badly immediately and needed insulin and was a girl and 6th was the same but was a boy.

This time round have changed my diet and am not on meds or suffering like the others... thought it was a girl, prepared for a girl... but am having a boy!

I would love to say there is a link, but there isn't... even the 'normal' signs which I got when pregnant with a boy are not here, such as looking dishevelled, spotty growing a beard etc... which is why we thought he was a she... I am 27 weeks atm... have gotten rid if the baby girls clothes :bigtears: and stocking up on boys stuff!

Oh and the all out front or round the side is rubbish too... you carry depending on your body shape... I am short with a short torso... thus I carry all out front (they call it my second nose) and yes it looks abnormally large for me, but that is because I was already compact and there is no where else for baby to go except 'out'.
Hope you enjoy your pregnancy (as much as we can;))

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the usual story, everyone is different.
With my son, all went quite smoothly till about 6 weeks before he was due. The only problem was that I wasn't putting on enough weight, so was told to increase my carbs. About 6 weeks before he was due, on a ward visit to maternity hospital, my BP was high. Half an hour later it was normal (very hot day, bumpy ride on bus and walk uphill to hospital) so not unexpected. Consultant said I could go home but wanted me as in patient the following week. Every time BP was taken for next 5 weeks, I was told it was fine. I was induced at 39 weeks +2. Baby was 8lb 2oz and needed treatment for jaundice a few days after birth.

With my daughter, my BGs were dreadful - unexpected highs and lows all over the place. I was induced one day after her expected date and she was fine at 8lb 3oz. My BG didn't get back to normal, even when I stopped breast feeding. The diabetic clinic seemed to ignore my worries about this for decades, but I think my coeliac disease started during my 2nd pregnancy and wasn't discovered till my daughter was 27!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the usual story, everyone is different.
With my son, all went quite smoothly till about 6 weeks before he was due. The only problem was that I wasn't putting on enough weight, so was told to increase my carbs. About 6 weeks before he was due, on a ward visit to maternity hospital, my BP was high. Half an hour later it was normal (very hot day, bumpy ride on bus and walk uphill to hospital) so not unexpected. Consultant said I could go home but wanted me as in patient the following week. Every time BP was taken for next 5 weeks, I was told it was fine. I was induced at 39 weeks +2. Baby was 8lb 2oz and needed treatment for jaundice a few days after birth.

With my daughter, my BGs were dreadful - unexpected highs and lows all over the place. I was induced one day after her expected date and she was fine at 8lb 3oz. My BG didn't get back to normal, even when I stopped breast feeding. The diabetic clinic seemed to ignore my worries about this for decades, but I think my coeliac disease started during my 2nd pregnancy and wasn't discovered till my daughter was 27!
I often wondered if coeliac and diabetes are linked!
When I went low carb my Bgl leveled out and became normal, however when I had a "treat" I became really bloated and felt really ill. I asked if I was intolerant to carbs and if that is what caused my diabetes... she said no, but it sounded like I had coeliac... they were going to do tests but never did.

I often thought that they just say no because nobody has looked into whether diabetes is caused as a by product of another illness that went unnoticed.
It would answer a lot of questions such as why not all diabetics are fat and unhealthy.

I was told I would develop diabetes because I had gd really badly and needed insulin... I think it was actually down to the hospital and the care I received.
I have changed hospitals now and receive excellent care. When diagnosed with gd or become pregnant while diabetic, the first step is that woman attend a group meeting to show what we can and can't eat, including understanding the labels. They follow and teach 'low carb healthy fat diet' though higher carb than me... it was the dietitian who manages your diabetes at first until you click, and then hand over to the diabetes midwives. You get her number too so that you can call whenever to get advice.
My last hospital just told me I was eating too much and cut down which puts a shed load of pressure (and all the blame) on you... I ended up so depressed and starving hungry while watching my Bgl rise!
I burst out crying in the group (possibly hormones) when the dietitian said... "if you need to go on meds it isn't your fault, don't starve yourself to try to control Bgl."

Having the right help and care and info is really important. What works for one might not work for some!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I often wondered if coeliac and diabetes are linked!
When I went low carb my Bgl leveled out and became normal, however when I had a "treat" I became really bloated and felt really ill. I asked if I was intolerant to carbs and if that is what caused my diabetes... she said no, but it sounded like I had coeliac... they were going to do tests but never did.

I often thought that they just say no because nobody has looked into whether diabetes is caused as a by product of another illness that went unnoticed.
It would answer a lot of questions such as why not all diabetics are fat and unhealthy.

I was told I would develop diabetes because I had gd really badly and needed insulin... I think it was actually down to the hospital and the care I received.
I have changed hospitals now and receive excellent care. When diagnosed with gd or become pregnant while diabetic, the first step is that woman attend a group meeting to show what we can and can't eat, including understanding the labels. They follow and teach 'low carb healthy fat diet' though higher carb than me... it was the dietitian who manages your diabetes at first until you click, and then hand over to the diabetes midwives. You get her number too so that you can call whenever to get advice.
My last hospital just told me I was eating too much and cut down which puts a shed load of pressure (and all the blame) on you... I ended up so depressed and starving hungry while watching my Bgl rise!
I burst out crying in the group (possibly hormones) when the dietitian said... "if you need to go on meds it isn't your fault, don't starve yourself to try to control Bgl."

Having the right help and care and info is really important. What works for one might not work for some!
Type 1 and coeliac disease are linked, as they are connected to the same gene (and probably other reasons too). I haven't heard of any connection between Type 2 and CD but that certainly doesn't mean you're not coeliac.