Dropping insulin pen down the pan

Gilo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody,
I'm a coffin dodger who does an afternoon thigh shot whilst sat on the pan.Unfortunately , I dropped the pen into the bowl.I
dried it off with a hair dryer and change the needle before the next shot .Has anybody else had this experience?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everybody,
I'm a coffin dodger who does an afternoon thigh shot whilst sat on the pan.Unfortunately , I dropped the pen into the bowl.I
dried it off with a hair dryer and change the needle before the next shot .Has anybody else had this experience?

No never done that, Is it working okay now ?

Reactions: Freema

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure that's the most hygenic injection technique in the world, the bathroom not be the top of the list for places to inject for hygiene reasons.

Also for hygiene reasons, if it were me, I would probably bin the pen and start a new one. I'm not keen on the idea of using insulin that's been down the loo, with a needle on so loo water could get into it. I can't imagine being blasted with a hairdryer does insulin much good either.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

That's pretty **** rock & roll!

Thanks for sharing that image...
The only thing I use my wife's hairdryer for is testing a heat sensor switch on the engine managment system on my van..
As @catapillar correctly pointed out a "heat gun" (that's what a hairdryer is.) don't do insulin any favours.. ;)

You could try drying it in future at an ambient temprature on the radiator while the central heating is off?

Yarp, I got a dark SOH.. Nice try old guy! :D

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a spare?? I'd be wary about using that now tbh... I always ask for two, spares are important!

D

Deleted member 308541

I think I would have left it down the gurgler, not the most hygienic of places toilets.

I did retrieve my wallet that fell in years ago when I pulled my jeans back up after a visit to the the toilet and it came out of the back pockets. It was replaced when I got my money and personal stuff out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I would have left it down the gurgler, not the most hygienic of places toilets.

I did retrieve my wallet that fell in years ago when I pulled my jeans back up after a visit to the the toilet and it came out of the back pockets. It was replaced when I got my money and personal stuff out.
Lol. Bank cards can handle a bit of detergent. But handing over a shi77y "dollar"?? (British/"Pom" accent.) well really!! ;)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
D

Deleted member 308541

Sorry, I spat out my coffee , cos I read it as Animal FART!
edit: Apparently only English notes, as Scottish ones are not made using the same things.
We remembered what happened in the "Indian Mutiny"

I hope the new £5.00 note is halal & kosher friendly then.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Just an aside Tipetoo! - Our new £5 notes contain animal fat!)
Yes, but they can survive a spell in the dish washer or washing machine so has to be an advantage if dropped down the pan ;)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Toffer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely don't use it immediately. Soak the end in dettol or similar for at least 20 minutes. Any germs on the end of the pen will just go up inside the needle that you will then inject into yourself.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely don't use it immediately. Soak the end in dettol or similar for at least 20 minutes. Any germs on the end of the pen will just go up inside the needle that you will then inject into yourself.
Lol, don't any insulin users use surgical spirit any more..??!?

Toffer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ah. Nope. I was a "late user" so single use disposable needles. But then again, I would never inject into a bit of skin that was dirty (but not necessarily surgically uncontaminated)

S

Shar67

My toilet is probably cleaner than my kitchen sink, unused a toilet bowl in uk contains drinking water. I have the toilet duck gel for every flush and i wipe seat with bleach spray after use. All thanks to an OCD mother.

PS kitchen sink is bleached as well but no toilet duck