Vegetarian: Christmas dinner ideas

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
What are we having this year? @Kat100 @Ledzeptt @Enclave @Welshman1952 etc

This is my first vegan Christmas and I can't wait! :hungry:

STARTER
Parsnip soup with cashew cream

MAIN
mushroom and nut bundt with cherry relish
green beans with shallots
turnip mash
fried Fry's polony

PUDDING
chocolate pie with pecan crust, chocolate ginger puddles and retro mandarins (last seen at my birthday, hence the candle)

EVENING SNACKS in case I am still hungry :oops:
Aldi spicy almonds
Nutcrafter Gary on Lidl roll thin toast

BOOZE
Champagne from Aldi. This one has won awards, is delicious and is only £9.99 a bottle! https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/000000015801000

2s1qceu.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Avocado Sevenfold - your meal does sound amazing, though I had to Google "bundt" and "polony"!

My plans assume I'm outta here (hospital), and assuming so, we've been invited to my Sister in law's as our daughters are away visiting their in laws. We'll be eating the same roast potatoes, sprouts etc as everyone else and I'll take a nut roast with me that I'll bake on Christmas Eve and nuke on the day. I have my own recipe that's become a tradition, but it's fiddly, so it's only for special occasions. It's based around roasted hazelnuts, but the 'twist' is a layer of stir fried veg for moistness in the middle. (Carrot, green pepper and large chunks of hazelnuts work well for the stir fry.).

I can't drink alcohol, so I fancy making a mulled "wine" using shloer light or similar.

I'll try a small piece of Christmas pudding or whatever's offered. There's a limit to how much insulin I can take (seems to become less effective above 10 units, so max 100g carbs for my meal).

If I'm in hospital, who knows? (I was here two years ago and they did make an effort for the patients. We all got a present to open in the morning from raffle money the nurses had raised during December, so that was a good start. Even better, the senior consultant sent me home at 4pm on Christmas Day and that was fantastic!). I'm being optimistic about going home this week.

K

Kat100

STARTER

MAIN
turnip mash
fried Fry's polony

PUDDING
chocolate pie with pecan crust, chocolate ginger puddles and retro mandarins (last seen at my birthday, hence the candle)

Aldi spicy almonds

BOOZE
Champagne from Aldi. This one has won awards, is delicious and is only £9.99 a bottle! https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/000000015801000

2s1qceu.jpg
That is a very creative menu , you are inspiring.. enjoy x

K

Kat100

Hi @Avocado Sevenfold - your meal does sound amazing, though I had to Google "bundt" and "polony"!

My plans assume I'm outta here (hospital), and assuming so, we've been invited to my Sister in law's as our daughters are away visiting their in laws. We'll be eating the same roast potatoes, sprouts etc as everyone else and I'll take a nut roast with me that I'll bake on Christmas Eve and nuke on the day. I have my own recipe that's become a tradition, but it's fiddly, so it's only for special occasions. It's based around roasted hazelnuts, but the 'twist' is a layer of stir fried veg for moistness in the middle. (Carrot, green pepper and large chunks of hazelnuts work well for the stir fry.).

I can't drink alcohol, so I fancy making a mulled "wine" using shloer light or similar.

I'll try a small piece of Christmas pudding or whatever's offered. There's a limit to how much insulin I can take (seems to become less effective above 10 units, so max 100g carbs for my meal).

If I'm in hospital, who knows? (I was here two years ago and they did make an effort for the patients. We all got a present to open in the morning from raffle money the nurses had raised during December, so that was a good start. Even better, the senior consultant sent me home at 4pm on Christmas Day and that was fantastic!). I'm being optimistic about going home this week.
I hope you are home for Christmas @Ledzeptt
I often have had cauliflower cheese on Christmas Day ...
strangly I have never added anything else like a nut roast for example .. because I love the veggies parsnips etc ..

Reactions: Ledzeptt
K

Kat100

STARTER

MAIN
turnip mash
fried Fry's polony

PUDDING

Aldi spicy almonds

BOOZE

2s1qceu.jpg
I think we should all come to yours :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A

Avocado Sevenfold

You are all welcome to come my house, but I wont be here! I will be down at my mum's microwaving stuff I made earlier. We are self catering dinner guests as it is less faff. I am being allowed ONE hob on her cooker this year which is a break from tradition. It's for the green beans as they might go rubbery in the microwave :***:

@Ledzeptt Fingers crossed for you.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @Avocado Sevenfold and have a great time at your Mum's!

I'm just hanging around now, surfing t'internet, reading and listening to music - I may even play some A7X in your honour \m/

A

Avocado Sevenfold

And the chocolate fridge cake we must have that x
The sugar free jelly raspberries and cream was very nice to night .. just testing lol x
Sounds like you are working up to a trifle hehe

Thanks, you have a lovely day too x

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going for s traditional Christmas lunch this year -

Roast stuffed seitan. The seitan will be a fairly traditional recipe, steamed and then roasted. The stuffing will be s homemade sage and onion stuffing using breadcrumbs from my stock of frozen Lidl rolls.

This will be served with roast parsnips, peas, carrots and a small quantity of roast sweet potato. Alongside this will be my infamous mushroom gravy (mushrooms sauteed in a dribble of red wine and (vegan) chicken stock.

For dessert there are options - trifle (vegan. All made without sugar and the most likely choice), or low sugar mince pies.

Drinks will be (possibly) non-alcoholic wine, although tomorrow the doctor may be to that one, in which case it will be plenty of decaf espresso after the meal.

Hungry already!!!

Reactions: Brunneria
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Kat100 do you have any Christmas Eve foodie traditions?

When I was married to an Eastern European, we would always have a Kūčios meal on Christmas Eve. This was a meal of 12 vegan dishes. We didn't observe all the traditions, such as stealing manure from our neighbour, and we would count Pringles as a dish ;)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Avocado Sevenfold

Stealing manure? Ok, I can see why you omitted that one!

I've just practiced my mulled wine I used Jamie's recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/jamie-s-mulled-wine/

I substituted Shloer light red for wine and obviously dropped the sugar. The clementines were disappointing, so I needed to add some orange extract; otherwise, it tasted pretty good. I halved the quantities and it made 4 glasses at 15g carbs each, which is fine for me, especially as we're having pizza tonight anyway :)

I added some TripleSec into Mrs LZ's glass: no need for her to suffer!!

Still have some wrapping to do...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Our vegan friend is over for Christmas lunch tomorrow. Here is the menu (vegan AND low carb):

Imam Biyildi
Roasted padron pepper and courgettes
Garlic and herb mushrooms
Edemame
Artichoke hearts
Pearl barley aranchini
Vegetable crisps, nuts, hummus, crackers (and bread for the vegan)

K

Kat100

@Kat100 do you have any Christmas Eve foodie traditions?

When I was married to an Eastern European, we would always have a Kūčios meal on Christmas Eve. This was a meal of 12 vegan dishes. We didn't observe all the traditions, such as stealing manure from our neighbour, and we would count Pringles as a dish ;)
well manure is interesting .. :)
Well not really any traditions , I just think we are lucky to have so much food .. I feel very lucky , so much food ..
But I guess my box of truffles are my treat .. :)
Christmas morning we sometimes have a cooked breakfast ..
Then snacks at lunch .. I like olives fresh ones ..
And we eat at night .. sometimes I have had curry dishes and loved it ..
But this year it's the full roast .. veggie style :)
What I do with gifts is leave them under the tree untill Christmas night or Boxing Day , because I love looking at the tree with the presents under xxx