Christmas store purchases.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you have stock of for Christmas?

I have got a quantity of packs of sugar free jelly and pure gelatine.
There are frozen vegetables, mixtures and of course sprouts, green beans and peas, and various mixtures of low carb fruits.
In the fridge there are packs of various cooked meats, cream, grapes, and cheese, lots of eggs, lots of salad, celery, tomatoes and mixed green, and a lettuce.
There are nuts, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts.
I will be going out to the shops tomorrow to see what is left to buy - perhaps a melon, some fish, even some high cocoa chocolate bars if I can find any.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loads of salad and veg. Dark chocolate and double cream for making truffles tomorrow.. Cream cheese and eggs for making baked cheesecake. Sausages and bacon for the pigs in blankets. I make loads as I like them cold too. Five types of cheese and celery for a cheeseboard. Smoked salmon and some very nice but small clementine oranges. Still need to get a pomegranate for the rocket and pomegranate salad... yumm I feel hungry now !

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Loads of salad and veg. Dark chocolate and double cream for making truffles tomorrow.. Cream cheese and eggs for making baked cheesecake. Sausages and bacon for the pigs in blankets. I make loads as I like them cold too. Five types of cheese and celery for a cheeseboard. Smoked salmon and some very nice but small clementine oranges. Still need to get a pomegranate for the rocket and pomegranate salad... yumm I feel hungry now !

Almost exactly the same!! Plus I'm baking a low carb Christmas cake (recipe from this forum somewhere).

A

asparagusp

Nothing yet! I have my usual tub of Green And Blacks Organic Cocoa! I never run out of it. It's only me to cater for (happily so) so buying food for Sunday isn't really an issue.

Reactions: mo53 and daisyduck

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Christmas table this year will cater for 1 low carber, 3 scoff anything folk and 2 vegans. Thank goodness I am not allowed anywhere near the kitchen.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My Christmas table this year will cater for 1 low carber, 3 scoff anything folk and 2 vegans. Thank goodness I am not allowed anywhere near the kitchen.
I will see you that lot and raise you...

2 omnivores
1 fussy omnivore
2 vegetarians
1 fussy vegetarian
1 vegetarian with a severe peanut allergy
1 non-diabetic vegan
1 diabetic vegan

:D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - the supermarket looked as though there was a famine on - I thought I'd pick up some meat - some beef perhaps - the choice was quail or kangaroo - ho hum.
I got some salad stuff, anyway, and to be honest the fridges are stuffed full., so is the freezer, we aren't going to starve.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm lucky in a way - this evening I'm having a buffet style dinner here with some friends; out of the eight of us two are pescatarians, one (Mr C) is eats a paleo(ish) diet and one is a vegetarian (who eats cheese and eggs), I am low carbing and the rest are omnivores. I've gone for a mainly seafood dinner - mussels, prawns, crab, etc - I'm planning on doing some thin squares of Lidl protein roll topped with philadelphia and smoked salmon. I'm also planning salads, a big cheese board, devilled eggs, fresh berries and home made chocolates (made with G&B 85%) - and plenty of red wine and Prosecco. So *fingers crossed* there's something there for everyone. The only thing I'm not putting on the table that people might miss is normal bread because I'm not sure I could resist.

For Christmas Day its just me and Mr C - and everything is bought / cooked around my way of eating as it mostly suits him as well.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well - the supermarket looked as though there was a famine on - I thought I'd pick up some meat - some beef perhaps - the choice was quail or kangaroo - ho hum.
I got some salad stuff, anyway, and to be honest the fridges are stuffed full., so is the freezer, we aren't going to starve.

Was that in Lidl? They didn't have any kangaroo when I was in there the other day. I actually like it but only when its in a slow cooked dish like a casserole.

M

mist

I used to live above a South African shop and man did they have some weird things in there..lol..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't stock up with anything special at home for Christmas I always have plenty of food in the freezer and fridge anyway in case because of unseen circumstances we are not able to get to the shops any time. We are at our daughters for the two days and there will only be 5 of us on Christmas day then on Boxing day there will be more family coming so it will be a help yourself buffet that day. Back home if there is anything we need then the shops will be open again by then.

A

asparagusp

M and S in central London was open at 7 am and apparently very busy then! The M and S Simply Food and Waitrose shops in Nottinghill Gate by 3 pm were reducing a lot of their stock to crazy prices!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to get some of the high protein bread triangles, which are now in the freezer - I had thought that we might have beef burgers - but there were none. At least there was salad - I take a couple of lettuce leaves and overlap them to make a bowl shape, put in chopped or grated stuff as available - cabbage carrot lettuce and then cheese or egg or even pate - with the lettuce leaves folded over they are as handy as a sandwich.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Morrisons where my son works ran out of Turkeys yesterday (23rd) at 10AM and haven't had anymore since then

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, there was someone asking if they would have any more fresh birds in - they would not - though I think they had frozen ones, but so large that I doubt one could be entirely defrosted in time.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mr. C used to manage a Sainsbury regional distribution centre - he tells me that generally there is only one delivery of fresh turkeys in the week before Christmas (usually on 18th or 19th) and once they are gone there will only be frozen.

Best time for yellow stickered reduced fresh stuff is the hour before stores close on Christmas's eve. Mr C (bless him) brought home EIGHT large poly trays of jumbo chicken thighs and half a dozen legs of lamb. (Might have been a good idea if he'd checked our freezers for space before though).

Reactions: Energize

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
We have a vegan round for Christmas lunch tomorrow and Husband has managed to rustle up a vegan and low-carb feast of tapas-type dishes. Me and him will probably nibble on our extensive stock of cheeses too. (A work colleague of mine bought me a selection of cheddars as a Christmas present!) Dessert will be a berry compote with cream for us and a cream substitute for the vegan.

We picked up our duck this morning for our more traditional Christmas meal on the 26th. I have baked a low-carb cheesecake for dessert and bought some clotted cream to go with it.

I baked masses of low-carb crackers yesterday and made coconut fat bombs for anyone who may still have room to fit them in over the next few days.