cramps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone suffer from terrible leg cramps at night,been treated but nothing seems to do any good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Does anyone suffer from terrible leg cramps at night,been treated but nothing seems to do any good.
Yes, I used to get them and nothing did any good - they carried on even when my BG was at a really good level. I found some advice on this forum that a magnesium supplement might help - which it did and with experimentation I found I only need half a tablet daily. Recently I was reviewing my meds and decided to stop the magnesium thinking that as my BG is generally good I might not need them any more -wrong - it took two days for the cramps to come back which is the same time it took for the magnesium to kick in again.

Pat_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I got the same advice and found Magnesium Glycinate Night time. Cramps vanished in 2 days. Forgot them one night and the cramps came back.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I used to get them and nothing did any good - they carried on even when my BG was at a really good level. I found some advice on this forum that a magnesium supplement might help - which it did and with experimentation I found I only need half a tablet daily. Recently I was reviewing my meds and decided to stop the magnesium thinking that as my BG is generally good I might not need them any more -wrong - it took two days for the cramps to come back which is the same time it took for the magnesium to kick in again.

Thank you will give anything a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did, especially if I drank red wine or let my feet get cold in bed (I have a habit of kicking the covers off my feet in my sleep). My diabetic nurse said it could not be related to any of the meds I take, but I never had it before I took them. I've recently changed my statins and don't seem to have them at the moment. I will remember about the magnesium and try that if they come back.

Reactions: Kevin259

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I used to get really bad leg cramps when I was on diuretic tables, years before I was diabetic. My go-to fix then was a daily banana for its potassium content, as my kidneys were flushing this out with all the water I was weeing away

Recently I've had bad spells of muscle cramps again, as on an LCHF diet a known side effect is fluid loss and with it vtial minerals particularly salt, potassium and magnesium. Since bananas are a no-no on my diet I now look to low carb vegetables with high potassium and magnesium content instead (see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=high+potassiunm+vegetables), and those together with plenty of water and broth/stock ensure that I can generally keep the cramps away.

Robbity