1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »
  1. forwardcontrol

forwardcontrol Type 2 · Newbie

Does anyone suffer from terrible leg cramps at night,been treated but nothing seems to do any good.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I used to get them and nothing did any good - they carried on even when my BG was at a really good level. I found some advice on this forum that a magnesium supplement might help - which it did and with experimentation I found I only need half a tablet daily. Recently I was reviewing my meds and decided to stop the magnesium thinking that as my BG is generally good I might not need them any more -wrong - it took two days for the cramps to come back which is the same time it took for the magnesium to kick in again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Pat_C

Pat_C Type 2 · Member

Hi all, I got the same advice and found Magnesium Glycinate Night time. Cramps vanished in 2 days. Forgot them one night and the cramps came back.

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Wot they said ^^^

5. forwardcontrol

forwardcontrol Type 2 · Newbie

Thank you will give anything a go.

#5 forwardcontrol, Jan 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
  6. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did, especially if I drank red wine or let my feet get cold in bed (I have a habit of kicking the covers off my feet in my sleep). My diabetic nurse said it could not be related to any of the meds I take, but I never had it before I took them. I've recently changed my statins and don't seem to have them at the moment. I will remember about the magnesium and try that if they come back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Yes I used to get really bad leg cramps when I was on diuretic tables, years before I was diabetic. My go-to fix then was a daily banana for its potassium content, as my kidneys were flushing this out with all the water I was weeing away

Recently I've had bad spells of muscle cramps again, as on an LCHF diet a known side effect is fluid loss and with it vtial minerals particularly salt, potassium and magnesium. Since bananas are a no-no on my diet I now look to low carb vegetables with high potassium and magnesium content instead (see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=high+potassiunm+vegetables), and those together with plenty of water and broth/stock ensure that I can generally keep the cramps away.

Robbity

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook