Hospital Menu for diabetic person

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the views of members to this Menu, any thing marked with a D is deemed suitable

58ce9bc5088dc16ca230c04073116681.jpg

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see how they classify anything as 'suitable for Diabetics', or unsuitable for that matter. Apple sponge probably has less carbs than most things on there, but that is the only thing unsuitable? How do they classify something as being suitable? As far as I'm aware I can eat anything I like of s certain portion within reason.
This baffles me

Last edited:

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nutritional information should be given with the menu so people can make up their own minds on whether it is suitable for their own diets

Reactions: mick180 and col101

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If everything bar apple sponge is suitable for diabetics I'll have it all and even circle the box for 'LARGE' portion size needed

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I have been in I usually stick to sandwiches and fruit.

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
I was in hospital in June in a town quite a long way from home with restricted visiting. I was hungry the whole time and actually had to give in and eat a cheese sandwich at one point. I was absolutely gutted to have to do this but there was literally nothing suitable. The ward orderly tried to get me to eat ice-cream, firstly by saying it was sugar free and then by saying if I ate it I could ask the nurses for extra insulin. Had no idea what I meant when I explained I was type 2 and not on insulin!
This was the only time I've been forced to eat unsuitable food since I went LCHF in February, who would've thought it would happen in a hospital!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, as a diet controlled T 2, who low carbs, there is nothing on that menu I would touch, except the two salads (providing they aren't messed up with potato salad, croutons, sweet sauces, sultanas in the coleslaw...), the omelette, and i would have the cheese, but leave the biscuits.

It is pretty depressing that they lump all diabetics together, and don't give even approx carb counts.

I have already discussed with Mr B that if I end up in hospital he will need to in bring just about everything - cold meats, cheese, salad stuff, berries, cream, nuts, dark choc ;) assuming I can eat it, of course, and that he isn't in the next bed...

Reactions: Clivethedrive

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When I was in hospital recently I crossed out anything I didn't want with my meal and other times I asked for a plain/cheese omelette I always got it!! Why not try that!

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They're having a laugh right? Lasagne? breaded? Cod, Potatoes?? and Rice Pudding?

I think I would test my BG then eat one of their deemed suitable offers on this menu, then ask for the chef or catering manger to come and see what effect their suitable offerings have had on my BG level two hours later.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd only eat the turkey salad, cheese (no biscuits) and the omelette. I am very concerned that, if I needed to go into hospital, they would try to kill me with this diet. They are completely clueless.
and including @Brunneria 's post too but I don't have such a person as an ally :(

Yes, this is also a considerable concern for me too. As a retired nurse (Ward Sister) I would be kicking up a fuss to get the diet requirements I want but doubt I would have too much success. However, I do have a better-than-usual appreciation of how the systems work in NHS which I would certainly try to use to my advantage, even to the point of phoning the Catering Manager from my mobile and ask him/her if I might discuss my dietry needs, in person / face-to-face. When I was working, I would certainly go to extreme lengths to achieve the best for my patients, including taking 'devious' methods to push the cause. As you can maybe appreciate, I have very strong feelings regarding how the patient should have what's best for them etc.

Somewhere in medical/nurses 'rules' is a phrase hospitals/treatment or whatever 'should do patients no harm' and not providing a suitable diet to a diabetic, be they Type 1 or Type 2, 3, 4 or 5 (if you see what I mean).

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who would be confident enough to kick up such an issue on my behalf so Heaven only knows what I would eat if in hospital. It certainly is a worry and has caused me some anxiety which I really must come up with a solution. ;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, if I didn't want high carbs,
I'd go for the turkey salad

Then if I was peckish,

Scotch Broth, plain omelette, or just plain omelette.

If I was being a pig, circle the large.

If I was in there for something that might kill me,

Lasagne, mushy peas, apple sponge and custard.
Quiche salad, maybe will a portion of mashed root vegetables. Cheese and biscuits for later

And to be honest, as a diabetic, we don't all want low carb for every choice, there are enough on there to keep us fed. I'm good on low calorie/lighter diets if the need arises, and stuck in a hospital bed I don't want to be eating a massive meal,

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm horrified by this menu - but not surprised. As far as I'm concerned, if it has no indication of carbohydrate value, it's not suitable for anyone.

Reactions: Mokkijo