Pump strap and high readings

ono

Hi,
I have been using a pump for about a year, numbers have been great so far.
I ercently started trapping the pump (accucheck insight, novorapid) to my belly with a lycra band, which is very comfy.
However about the same period I have noticed many highs which I was not having before.
I am wondering if the increased temperature of the pump, and the tube, which are noticebale to the touch could be spoiling the insulin. Is there any other similar cases out there? I haven't found much literature on this specific.
Any experiences welcome.
Thanks.

Reactions: Snapsy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Going to bump your post up the forum in the hope that other pump users will advise on suitable pump cases.

Reactions: ono

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ono , I too wear my Insight strapped against my body - I use a Hid-In multiway bodyband and it's really comfy.

I have to say that I haven't noticed the insulin going off due to the warmth of my body, but having said that I have worn it in this way since I first started pumping in October 2015 so I don't have a 'control' situation to compare it to.

Am watching this thread though so I can see what others' experience has been with this.

:)

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
intersting
i assume you must both use blue tooth to control pump as i use my normal trouser belt
little tip i do if you need to check if air bubbles is turn the pump so the line is downhill or pointing to your toes you can look at the cartridge to see if any bubbles are at the top this may be cause of blockage that stop delivery to you
this is on the spirit combo
o well,
all the best for new year to one and all

vic

Reactions: ono and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @vic hill - yes, the Insight pump handset tells the pump wirelessly what to do - I don't have to (although I can if I want to) handle the pump itself, so I usually wear it under my clothes (a lot of layers, this time of year!).

I love my Insight!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How often do you change your insulin? If it is going off you should get ok readings after a pump refill and then they get steadily worse.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Is there any specific timing to highs?

I only ask as suddenly after 5 years my body rejected new cannulas for up to 15 hours. (Combo and insight pumps).....on rapid d's at time.

Do see if there is a pattern.. is it after set changes etc? Is it before set changes or is it for the whole constant time??

I loved my pumps.. it has taken 3 attempts with manufacturers and 3 different hospitals to get down to nitty gritty of my problems.

I remain on MDI again after 3rd attempt to retry before the true realisation came about.

I am
Grateful to this hospital for helping me to realise the probs and giving me hope that something can be sorted.

Do you get any occlusions?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cannot think why wearing a pump especially the Insight elsewhere would cause probs...

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I will be watching this post as mine gets quite warm at night in bed. I have had to increase my basal 30% lately though posibly due to cold weather

Last edited:

Deanc883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started with insight pump in October, while at work or out of house I use a flip-belt next to my body, (very comfortable). Pump is warm but has had no noticeable effect on novorapid insulin.

ono

Thanks for the replies, warmth of the body does not seem to be a factor (from the general consensus), I change my insulin every 3 days as recommended, no blockages that i'm aware of.

After a pretty bad week I have realised my bolus ratios have changed quite a bit, so hopefully that was the reason for the highs. I have had a very long "honeymoon period" since I was diagnosed, where I was injecting very little insulin, but it seems to be changing now.
Even as I have upped the ratios, today I had a massive high again, so I'll be keeping a close eye to the ratios as well as doing some more basal tests, hopefully I can get back in track.
Happy new year! Best of luck with the BGs in 2017 : D

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

ono

Hi @vic hill - yes, the Insight pump handset tells the pump wirelessly what to do - I don't have to (although I can if I want to) handle the pump itself, so I usually wear it under my clothes (a lot of layers, this time of year!).

I love my Insight!

I have a bit of a beef with my insight in that it takes ages to calculate a bolus, sometimes I'll be about to eat and waiting for the handset to calculate the bolus, and I just end up forgetting about it so the hanset times out before actually sending the bolus.
The handset has been getting progressively slower since i started with it, so sometimes I bypass the handset and use the pump directly, just calculate the bolus myself.
I do like the pump otherwise, it's been a great help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, warmth of the body does not seem to be a factor (from the general consensus), I change my insulin every 3 days as recommended, no blockages that i'm aware of.

After a pretty bad week I have realised my bolus ratios have changed quite a bit, so hopefully that was the reason for the highs. I have had a very long "honeymoon period" since I was diagnosed, where I was injecting very little insulin, but it seems to be changing now.
Even as I have upped the ratios, today I had a massive high again, so I'll be keeping a close eye to the ratios as well as doing some more basal tests, hopefully I can get back in track.
Happy new year! Best of luck with the BGs in 2017 : D

Just check that your highs arent occuring pre set changes or post set changes...

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The handset has been getting progressively slower since i started with it
I know what you mean about the time it takes to work things out - I try to remember to do a reset every week or so - press and hold the on/off switch - this tends to get it going a bit faster!

Did a really daft thing with my pump this morning - after swimming I tested and bolused and set a temp basal rate - all BEFORE I reconnected my pump! Felt so stupid! It wasn't a big deal - had got distracted chatting to a mate while getting changed......

All fine!

ono

I know what you mean about the time it takes to work things out - I try to remember to do a reset every week or so - press and hold the on/off switch - this tends to get it going a bit faster!

Did a really daft thing with my pump this morning - after swimming I tested and bolused and set a temp basal rate - all BEFORE I reconnected my pump! Felt so stupid! It wasn't a big deal - had got distracted chatting to a mate while getting changed......

All fine!

I've done that too : D given a bolus and heard the pump going in the toilet.
Somehow a reset does nothing to improve my speed... go figure.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I have been using a pump for about a year, numbers have been great so far.
I ercently started trapping the pump (accucheck insight, novorapid) to my belly with a lycra band, which is very comfy.
However about the same period I have noticed many highs which I was not having before.
I am wondering if the increased temperature of the pump, and the tube, which are noticebale to the touch could be spoiling the insulin. Is there any other similar cases out there? I haven't found much literature on this specific.
Any experiences welcome.
Thanks.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Worth checking rotation of sites as you can get a bit lazy when you have constant good results, length of time in as well, if left in one place for too long will affect absorption rates of Insulin. Discovered myself and took extra care with changes and locations so absorption improved and results followed suit, also check for air bubbles etc, again these can cause issues. Hope it helps and good luck with your pump. Body temperature should not affect insulin, I work here in Cyprus and it is hot for 9 months of the year and as long as I keep the pump out of direct sunlight no problems.