Major Hypos

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I have been Diabetic for 27 years and have been extremely lucky with my control. Prior to this period I have only ever had one major hypo resulting in needing support from others. I inject 2 amounts of lantus, one does in the morning and the other before bed and take novorapid with meals, I carb count my meals. Over the Christmas period this year I found my routine very difficult to stay within my boundaries. From Christmas Day to 31st December we were eating out, eating at friends, eating at at different times and drinking more wine than normal. This resulted in me crashing and burning on the afternoon of the 31st. I'd got up in the morning took my normal lantus injection and then dozed on the settee, a friend spoke to me on the telephone about 12pm, which I vaguely remembered but didn't realise I was in hypo and went to my bed. I then roused again at 6pm but in major hypo, I was aware of what was going on around me but couldn't speak and couldn't move. I thought I'd had a stroke. My teenagers (eventually!!) realised that something was wrong and called my husband, who managed to get fruit juice and sugary fudge in me. I did come round but my body went in to shock, freezing cold and shaking. It has left me with a total lack of confidence in myself and keeping my glucose levels as tight as I normally do and I have this urge to run them higher than normal, which I know I cant do!
Has this happened to any other normally well controlled Diabetics? Just looking for a bit of support.
Thanks.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something similar, but I was alone in a hotel. I was shivering uncontrollably. I guess my liver dumped glucose into my system as I "came round" eventually.
Actually it had happened to a lesser extent 3 times over the year (I'd been T1 for 20+ years) but that last one gave me such a fright that it prompted me to buy a CGM.
Very glad I did. Initially I was looking for it's alarms but it does so much more. It was life changing for me.
Hope you are feeling better, it really does shake your confidence.

Reactions: azure

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you insulin sensitive, do you exercise?? What doses lantus do you inject?? And humalog/carb??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Soplewis12
I had a major hypo 16 years ago -- unconscious for about 90 minutes -- woke up freezing in the back of an ambulance on the way to A&E
My consultant advised me to stop driving for 8 weeks and run my sugars higher for that time to retrain my body to better recognise hypos.

have you spoken with your care team( DSN or consultant) at all since this happened ??

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Something similar, but I was alone in a hotel. I was shivering uncontrollably. I guess my liver dumped glucose into my system as I "came round" eventually.
Actually it had happened to a lesser extent 3 times over the year (I'd been T1 for 20+ years) but that last one gave me such a fright that it prompted me to buy a CGM.
Very glad I did. Initially I was looking for it's alarms but it does so much more. It was life changing for me.
Hope you are feeling better, it really does shake your confidence.

Thanks for sharing with me. I have just googled and never realised that the CGM can give you warnings! My father in law has one but he has never mentioned this to me. I just thought it was a replacement to pricking your finger. Are they expensive to run?

Reactions: himtoo

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Are you insulin sensitive, do you exercise?? What doses lantus do you inject?? And humalog/carb??

Hi,
I have been told in the past that 1) even though type 1 diabetic they thought that I was still producing insulin myself and 2) that I am sensitive to insulin. My lantus dose is 12 in the morning and 5 before bed, I used to take full dose before bed resulting in night time hypos, then changed to full morning dose resulting in lantus running out at 5am, changed to split which has reduced night time hypos, but they do still occasionally happen. My novorapid/carb is 1 unit per 15 carbs breakfast, 1 unit per 20 carbs lunch and 1 unit 15 carbs teatime.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi @Soplewis12
I had a major hypo 16 years ago -- unconscious for about 90 minutes -- woke up freezing in the back of an ambulance on the way to A&E
My consultant advised me to stop driving for 8 weeks and run my sugars higher for that time to retrain my body to better recognise hypos.

have you spoken with your care team( DSN or consultant) at all since this happened ??

Hi
Scary stuff for you!
I have spoken with them this morning and I have to drop both my lantus injections and drop change my breakfast ratio to 1 unit to 20 carbs. I agreed with them that if this results in highs that to leave for the next few days and then contact them again next week.
Fingers crossed, thanks.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing with me. I have just googled and never realised that the CGM can give you warnings! My father in law has one but he has never mentioned this to me. I just thought it was a replacement to pricking your finger. Are they expensive to run?

Yes, I'm afraid they are expensive. There is a thread at the top of the "Sticky Threads" in the "Blood Glucose Monitoring" part of the forum. This compares costs.
It all depends on how long sensors last for you. They can be restarted - I use a Dexcom G4 & sensors last, on average, around 18 days. Everyone is different though. You also have to budget for transmitters. G5 transmitters are more expensive because they don't last as long.
To give you a (very) rough guide I probably pay out about £108/month.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Yes, I'm afraid they are expensive. There is a thread at the top of the "Sticky Threads" in the "Blood Glucose Monitoring" part of the forum. This compares costs.
It all depends on how long sensors last for you. They can be restarted - I use a Dexcom G4 & sensors last, on average, around 18 days. Everyone is different though. You also have to budget for transmitters. G5 transmitters are more expensive because they don't last as long.
To give you a (very) rough guide I probably pay out about £108/month.

Yikes, but it is something I think I really should consider, I will do a bit of research. Thanks again.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about using a Freestyle Libre for a bit to get your confidence back, a bit like a CGM but you have to swipe the reader device over the sensor to get a reading, it displays a graph of your last 8 hours blood glucose results but more importantly provides an indication of where your levels are heading (basically up, down or level) so you can pre-emptive any highs or more importantly lows and do something about if before the hypo takes hold.

They are 'cheaper' then the CGMs currently on the market - sort of, depends how long you can extend a G4 sensor. The Libre is £46 for a 2 week sensor, the reader can be a further device for much the same price as the sensor or could be a compatible android mobile phone with NFC and an app.

using any CGM style type device is a real eye opener!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you think it was the extra Alcohol you were drinking over the Christmas/new year period that caused the bad hypo?

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your insulin requirements seem similar to mine but I seem to be abit more resistant but iv been a couch potato for over 2 weeks now and been drinking beer everyday so I don't know my true sensitivity

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you think it was the extra Alcohol you were drinking over the Christmas/new year period that caused the bad hypo?

This was my thoughts too...........

the only time I have experienced a hypo of this severity where I was babbling and hallucinating was due to lots and lots of alcohol....

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
What about using a Freestyle Libre for a bit to get your confidence back, a bit like a CGM but you have to swipe the reader device over the sensor to get a reading, it displays a graph of your last 8 hours blood glucose results but more importantly provides an indication of where your levels are heading (basically up, down or level) so you can pre-emptive any highs or more importantly lows and do something about if before the hypo takes hold.

They are 'cheaper' then the CGMs currently on the market - sort of, depends how long you can extend a G4 sensor. The Libre is £46 for a 2 week sensor, the reader can be a further device for much the same price as the sensor or could be a compatible android mobile phone with NFC and an app.

Thanks a million all, I will look in to this also.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Postage charge isn't compulsory - abbot usually provide a free p&p voucher code to existing customers which can be found on the internet/facebook - 'Bccfrdln' I believe is the latest code.

TBH I haven't ordered a sensor in ages so guessed the price from memory, it's listed as £50 quid or there or there abouts on their website but don't forget to tick the VAT exemption box!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People

Thanks I am going to look in to it more.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Definitely a factor to it. Don't get me wrong it wasn't heavy drinking by any means but more than normal. The mix of this & guesstimate of carbs I was eating. I know this is our life's but you know it occasionally rocks you when it goes wrong & it really is a precarious balance. Thanks.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
This was my thoughts too...........

the only time I have experienced a hypo of this severity where I was babbling and hallucinating was due to lots and lots of alcohol....
Lesson learned for me, next Christmas period I will be pacing out the invites for eating out or pub nights.

Reactions: novorapidboi26