Psyllium Husk Powder for baking

Greenandgold

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I bought some psyllium husk powder today from Holland and Barrett £14!!!! I had read that certain brands would make your bread purple, unfortunately it's sold as a fibre supplement and wasn't in the baking section so I was unsure if it would be one of the purple ones.
Well it is...so a warning to anyone buying from H&B for baking, it'll come in handy for its original use no doubt so not a complete waste of money.
Does anyone have any experience ofbaking with psyllium? If so where could I buy in the UK? Or could I use Xantham Gum?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to have baked goods that turned an interesting shade of purple. :D

Mind you, maybe I am odd - we are currently chomping through a loaf of Soul Bread, made with Hemp protein powder rather than Whey protein powder, and it is the colour of swamp water. Rather nice taste though. :wacky:

Reactions: Freema

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I bought some psyllium husk powder today from Holland and Barrett £14!!!! I had read that certain brands would make your bread purple, unfortunately it's sold as a fibre supplement and wasn't in the baking section so I was unsure if it would be one of the purple ones.
Well it is...so a warning to anyone buying from H&B for baking, it'll come in handy for its original use no doubt so not a complete waste of money.
Does anyone have any experience ofbaking with psyllium? If so where could I buy in the UK? Or could I use Xantham Gum?

I think @ellagy had made some purple muffins last month. I will tag for you.

Also, allergy alert: psyllium gives me the worst asthma attack I have had in quite a while.

Greenandgold

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I would love to have baked goods that turned an interesting shade of purple. :D

Mind you, maybe I am odd - we are currently chomping through a loaf of Soul Bread, made with Hemp protein powder rather than Whey protein powder, and it is the colour of swamp water. Rather nice taste though. :wacky:

I'm a firm believer in the "you eat with your eyes" mantra, I assure you purple bread really wasn't a good look:happy:

To be fair it was my first attempt and I burst out laughing when I opened the oven door, I had put the loaf tin on the middle shelf rather than the bottom shelf and it had the appearance of an explosion in a beetroot factory, but with sesame seeds on top:D

Does anyone know which brands available in the UK to use to avoid bread only Prince would enjoy?:D

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think @ellagy had made some purple muffins last month. I will tag for you.

Also, allergy alert: psyllium gives me the worst asthma attack I have had in quite a while.
I didn't make them, my cook did.:) Mr E makes the most wonderful low carb rolls = 2carbs each when you divide into 8 rolls. Yes they are very dark purple but that doesn't bother me... they taste good! We buy from Amazon, Ground Psyllium Husk. Bon Appetite!

Reactions: Freema

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I bought some "Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Psyllium Husk Powder 500g" from Amazon. I have made naan bread (a la Diet Doctor) with it and it was really good and not purple. But I have not actually baked with it, so you never know. It cost £9.99 for 500g, plus free delivery.

Reactions: hansolo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So which brand is the purple one? I WANT some!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahaha purple bread seems wonderful to me a little hippie like or just Girl-power loafs

Greenandgold

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I bought some "Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Psyllium Husk Powder 500g" from Amazon. I have made naan bread (a la Diet Doctor) with it and it was really good and not purple. But I have not actually baked with it, so you never know. It cost £9.99 for 500g, plus free delivery.

Thanks for that, I reckon if your naan bread didn't turn purple then this may be the one, when it's in its powdered state is it a dark brown or pale colour?

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just made the diet doctor's recipe with psyllium husk powder from H&B. Not sure of the brand but it was called 'Colon Care Plus'. Almost as attractive as the purple rolls it spawned. Still, taste ok with a wedge of ham in there!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Thanks for that, I reckon if your naan bread didn't turn purple then this may be the one, when it's in its powdered state is it a dark brown or pale colour?
It is a pale, creamy fawn colour.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I was caught out like that! I didn’t like the look of my naan breads. I saw it being made on Utube, hers turned out perfectly white! I have to say, I needed to use a lot less water than what was quoted. Couldn’t bring myself to eat it, though the little bit I tasted was ok.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I was caught out like that! I didn’t like the look of my naan breads. I saw it being made on Utube, hers turned out perfectly white! I have to say, I needed to use a lot less water than what was quoted. Couldn’t bring myself to eat it, though the little bit I tasted was ok.

Hi Sandra, this post is over 3 years old but I enjoyed reading it anyway. x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This reminds me that I was going to do some work on my bread recipe - I use a bit of rye flour and a milled seed mixture to disguise the colour.
I buy 'Bulk Powder' from Amazon, they have lots of different things, such as coconut flour to experiment with.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The purple colour comes, I believe, from interaction of the Psyllium husk powder with aluminum in the baking powder. Dr Oteker Baking powder is much better in this regard.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my bread with yeast - but now I can't recall if I have ever made it without the seeds and rye added to disguise the colour - I might be trying to hide what isn't there.....