Zero Carbs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from @NoCrbs4Me does anyone else follow a zero carb diet.. I'm quite interested in whether following it makes weight loss easier. It would also remove some of the things that trigger me into over eating... some things like nuts and possibly pork scratchings..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some days where I say zero carbs but if you breathe air you will get some. Bits of carrot in mixed veg or a sauce in a stir fry.

About as near as I can get to no carbs is something I try but it doesn't go too well when you actually eat.

I have now taken a more reasonable approach where I eat carbs in things I cannot exclude but don't take on flour or sugar when I can avoid it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some days where I say zero carbs but if you breathe air you will get some. Bits of carrot in mixed veg or a sauce in a stir fry.

About as near as I can get to no carbs is something I try but it doesn't go too well when you actually eat.

I have now taken a more reasonable approach where I eat carbs in things I cannot exclude but don't take on flour or sugar when I can avoid it.
Well when I eat I usually cook so can avoid most carbs.. just have green veg, salad and the occasional raspberries with nuts and scratchings as treats. Am toying with the idea of a meat and eggs only month for February with OMEOD fasting (one meal every other day). Will blog about it if I decide to do it..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well when I eat I usually cook so can avoid most carbs... Am toying with the idea of a meat and eggs only month for February with OMEOD fasting (one meal every other day). Will blog about it if I decide to do it..

I would be very interested in the results. Do you intend to include walking in that since that can change your BG significantly I have found.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well when I eat I usually cook so can avoid most carbs.. just have green veg, salad and the occasional raspberries with nuts and scratchings as treats. Am toying with the idea of a meat and eggs only month for February with OMEOD fasting (one meal every other day). Will blog about it if I decide to do it..
BB seems a bit extreme to me. Clearly you will have to take supplements. Given that you have already accomplished several 7 day fasts, I guess you are better placed than most to do it.

My major concern would be constipation

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BB seems a bit extreme to me. Clearly you will have to take supplements. Given that you have already accomplished several 7 day fasts, I guess you are better placed than most to do it.

Think I have that one licked (maybe not the best word to use..).. used to be a problem but now supplementing with magnesium and seem pretty regular...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I did a fortnight of zero carb immediately after I found my BG was 32.7. It definitely worked to reduce BG but the biggest problem was total boredom which is why I only managed a fortnight. That fortnight of zero carb took me down from 32s to 17s then it took another four months at about 20g to get me down to the 6s.

I'm glad I tried it but wouldn't do it again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a fortnight of zero carb immediately after I found my BG was 32.7. It definitely worked to reduce BG but the biggest problem was total boredom which is why I only managed a fortnight. That fortnight of zero carb took me down from 32s to 17s then it took another four months at about 20g to get me down to the 6s.

I'm glad I tried it but wouldn't do it again.
Interesting .....did weight come off too?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@bulkbiker

Yes, about a dress size but TBH at the time I was more worried about getting my BG down and getting rid of some of the more uncomfortable symptoms i was experiencing. :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

No need for supplements. Constipation can be an issue if you're switching from a very high fibre diet, otherwise it's not a problem.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Apart from @NoCrbs4Me does anyone else follow a zero carb diet.. I'm quite interested in whether following it makes weight loss easier. It would also remove some of the things that trigger me into over eating... some things like nuts and possibly pork scratchings..
I am on a 20g carb diet. I always get under that and often under 10g/day. But I don't see how I could get down to zero carbs, even lettuce, green veg, cheese and eggs have a small quantity of carbs. A cup of black tea has 0.2g carbs. And frankly, I don't see the point of going below 10g. Also, you would have to severely restrict the variety in your diet and I am really happy with my wide range of food currently.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am on a 20g carb diet. I always get under that and often under 10g/day. But I don't see how I could get down to zero carbs, even lettuce, green veg, cheese and eggs have a small quantity of carbs. A cup of black tea has 0.2g carbs. And frankly, I don't see the point of going below 10g. Also, you would have to severely restrict the variety in your diet and I am really happy with my wide range of food currently.
"Zero carb" means no plant derived food - only animal derived. It's not literally zero carbs. Many people find this a healthy and sustainable way to eat.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would also be interested to know if no carb would get the weight loss going again as I have been stalled for months. Blood glucose is great and A1c at 40 but the weight just won't move. I am at 20ish grams per day now and just diagnosed coeliac.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
"Zero carb" means no plant derived food - only animal derived. It's not literally zero carbs. Many people find this a healthy and sustainable way to eat.
I see, the opposite of vegan. But why is it called zero carb when it isn't? Is it popular in USA?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would find it unsustainable through boredom. I love veg. I have walked away from the carby things, but not veg. That would do my head in.

I have had a few zero carb days in the past and always felt heavy and claggy afterwards. Also constipated. So it isn't something I would consider unless I developed cancer. And even then I would be going the whole hog with research, whole animal intake (brawn, tripe, sweetbreads, etc. As well as muscle and the usual organs) and making sure I included things like insect flours.

Not something that appeals to my palate, my pocket, or my social life! :D