Worrying Facebook Post

Schillers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I like to think I don't believe a lot of the things I see on social media however today I have seen this shared a few time:

"I would like to highlight the government removing the subsidy for blood test strips. Diabetics need very frequent blood testing 5+ times a day. The cost of strips is £70.00 outcome reduced blood glucose testing and more hospital admissions from hyper or hypo glycemic Diabetes . . . I am asking if everyone could put this as their status for 1 hour. I'm pretty sure I know the ones that will. Think of someone you know or love who has or has had diabetes. My hope is that in 2017 a cure will be found. Will you post it for 1 hour? To honor those who have fought or are fighting diabetes. :)"

I have done a little research in the news and cannot see anything about it. Furthermore, I have not heard anything about it or seen anything on here.

Could someone just put me at ease that this is not the case?

Thanks in advance,
Schillers

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There
Hi all,

I like to think I don't believe a lot of the things I see on social media however today I have seen this shared a few time:

"I would like to highlight the government removing the subsidy for blood test strips. Diabetics need very frequent blood testing 5+ times a day. The cost of strips is £70.00 outcome reduced blood glucose testing and more hospital admissions from hyper or hypo glycemic Diabetes . . . I am asking if everyone could put this as their status for 1 hour. I'm pretty sure I know the ones that will. Think of someone you know or love who has or has had diabetes. My hope is that in 2017 a cure will be found. Will you post it for 1 hour? To honor those who have fought or are fighting diabetes. :)"

I have done a little research in the news and cannot see anything about it. Furthermore, I have not heard anything about it or seen anything on here.

Thanks in advance,
Schillers
There are a couple threads actively discussing this issue. Unfortunately is is not fake news as I have found out for myself. Please try to find these threads - one is entitled has anybody used one of these meters? because in the UK there is a move to restrict our meter choice to a few low cost meters on the grounds of cost of ownership BUT only if you are one who qualifies for test supplies on prescription. It does not affect anyone funding their own SMBG activities privately.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Schillers

https://www.change.org/p/http-www-h...s-to-blood-glucose-test-strips-under-the-ndss

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/test-strips.114017/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...-expensive-tests-in-bid-to-save-funds/6406952

With Facebook, I find it's best to take this type of thing with a pinch of salt.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Reactions: Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't call it a subsidy in the UK which makes me think this may have originated elsewhere, the currency sign is a red herring because I've seen the same text with $.

This might say a bit more http://www.snopes.com/government-eliminating-test-strip-subsidy-for-diabetics/
We are arguing semantics while there is an elephant in the room. Yes the FB post is referring to an Australian initiative, but if the major bgl monitoring suppliers lose a large market for their test strips, then there may well be a knock on effect in raising prices or established OEMs going out of business. This will be compounded by our own NHS doing a similar thing here in the UK. Since this site is primarily a .co.uk then I feel we should discuss the withdrawals wherever they occur. There WILL be many here in UK who are affected by these decisions, so please stop pretending it ain't gonna 'appen 'ere.

I am having to bin my meter in 2 weeks time and I will not be the last having to do this. My CCG is not taking prisoners on this issue. Change or be Damned!

Reactions: pluto1a

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well so much for having a Prime Minister with Diabetes then! If there is no empathy there then there is no chance
I wonder if she gets a letter like mine? MP perk? Anyhow, in uk it is NHS not Gov that is driving this initiative, so this is a deviation from the OP. My CCG is one of the new Vanguard ones, so is piloting this change. It estimates it will save £1m a year (increasing as target population increases, like my girth), and they, combined with the other Vanguard CCG, will be saving over £4m per annum for the NHS. I note that the list of bgl meters that can be approved by a CCG under the selection rules is around 20, and does not include many of the well known brands. So we may see some major players struggling to make a profit.

They could, of course, reduce the price of strips to less than the cutoff value, but then they have to go back through the selection process again. Could benefit us in the long run.

Reactions: pluto1a

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if she gets a letter like mine? MP perk? Anyhow, in uk it is NHS not Gov that is driving this initiative, so this is a deviation from the OP. My CCG is one of the new Vanguard ones, so is piloting this change. It estimates it will save £1m a year (increasing as target population increases, like my girth), and they, combined with the other Vanguard CCG, will be saving over £4m per annum for the NHS. I note that the list of bgl meters that can be approved by a CCG under the selection rules is around 20, and does not include many of the well known brands. So we may see some major players struggling to make a profit.

They could, of course, reduce the price of strips to less than the cutoff value, but then they have to go back through the selection process again. Could benefit us in the long run.

I agree it probably is the NHS but I think It's just bad form for the head of the government who is also a diabetic to not be able to intervene in some way. Still what ever they do I'll just keep using my codefree I can afford the strips so sod the CCG's and the NHS on this issue

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree it probably is the NHS but I think It's just bad form for the head of the government who is also a diabetic to not be able to intervene in some way. Still what ever they do I'll just keep using my codefree I can afford the strips so sod the CCG's and the NHS on this issue
Strangely the SD Codefree was the cheapest for strips, but it was eliminated from the contest by the CCG study group, and is not an approved meter. There were some issues with it that meant it did not meet the other selection criteria.

Personally I do not find the SD that reliable or accurate, and it has often told me my hypo is NOT Happening coz the bgl reading is above 6 mmol.l, even though my NEO may be saying 3,8 I cannot rely on my SD but use it to keep an eye on my NEO that sometimes also misreads (but rarely) I normally get the SD reading 1,5 to 2 mmol/l higher than the NEO, so if it is not, then I may need to retest.

Back to topic. I think if T.M. intervened then it would look like a stitch up and self interest.

Cookie 81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by my doctor I had to change my bg machine as the one I was currently using was becoming obsolete so I went ahead and changed... it was the worst bg machine I've ever used. Gluco RX or something it was called... anyways after an appointment with my dsn I was told this was utter rubbish and it was just a way to save money... she also said I'm entitled to which ever machine I prefer she gave me the accu-chek mobile - best bg machine I've ever used! And the doctor hasn't said a word regarding my prescription... yet!

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A cure will never be found for type 1 diabetes. People will hear promises till they die from it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told by my doctor I had to change my bg machine as the one I was currently using was becoming obsolete so I went ahead and changed... it was the worst bg machine I've ever used. Gluco RX or something it was called... anyways after an appointment with my dsn I was told this was utter rubbish and it was just a way to save money... she also said I'm entitled to which ever machine I prefer she gave me the accu-chek mobile - best bg machine I've ever used! And the doctor hasn't said a word regarding my prescription... yet!
Ooopsie. It seems that the Gluco RX made the final selection squeaking in with 1 penny to spare, but none of the Accuchek or Abbott meters made the grade.

D

Deleted member 308541

They probably had to cut the subsidy to help fund the Health Minister, Susan Ley's many trips to the Gold Coast - now the subject of a brouhaha in the parliament ;)
She will get the sack soon Indy hopefully.

I will be testing the new strip conditions on Thurs when I ask for 100 strips, I put my 6 month approval form in after xmas.

I wonder how much they will be now as they were $1.60 for a 100 Performa strips, but I was getting them free as I hit the safety net in August 2016 so not sure of the price now.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

She will get the sack soon hopefully Indy.

I will be testing the new strip conditions on Thurs when I ask for 100 strips, I put my 6 month approval form in after xmas at my pharmacy.

I wonder how much they will be now as they were $1.60 for a 100 Performa strips, but I was getting them free as I hit the safety net in August 2016 so not sure of the price now.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
There WILL be many here in UK who are affected by these decisions, so please stop pretending it ain't gonna 'appen 'ere.

I don't think I'm pretending anything. I've not had my test strips on prescription for so long that I've got used to the idea. Not so easy for a type I.

What exactly is the situation for type I diabetics in the United Kingdom? Are there changes afoot? What are the facts? I'm confused now!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There WILL be many here in UK who are affected by these decisions, so please stop pretending it ain't gonna 'appen 'ere.
Well until NICE change their guidance for type ones to test infrequently, it's not up to the government to "pull funding" for test strips. CCGs might try, but we still have the NICE guidance to fall back on.

Reactions: Sibyl and Type1Bri