Blood test strips--Gov to reduce funding?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have received several posts on my Facebook page as below

I would like to highlight the government removing the subsidy for blood test strips. Diabetics need very frequent blood testing 5+ times a day. The cost of strips is £70.00 outcome reduced blood glucose testing and more hospital admissions from hyper or hypo glycemic Diabetes . . . I am asking if everyone could put this as their status for 1 hour. I'm pretty sure I know the ones that will. Think of someone you know or love who has or has had diabetes. My hope is that in 2017 a cure will be found. Will you post it for 1 hour? To honor those who have fought or are fighting diabetes.
1f601.png

Now I have heard nothing about this, hopefully just some scaremongering.

I am sure most on her benefit greatly from testing regularly, which in turn should lead to better control/less complications

Anyone else see or heard about this

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't heard anything about that @smc4761 and I'm sure we would have, if that was true.

I'd be tempted to,file that with Nibiru ;)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I've seen this. It's based in Australia where, currently, it seems Type 2s are given meters and test strips.

I posted a link re Snopes.com confirming it was FALSE yesterday in a post with very similar subject title so feel free to check it out.

Reactions: Type1Bri
D

Deleted member 308541

We are aware of some incorrect information circulating on Facebook regarding the Federal Government’s changes to subsidised access to blood glucose testing strips.

Main article here at the NDSS wesite here: https://www.ndss.com.au/news/15364?type=articles

This effects me as on the 1st of january, but I have filled in the approval form at a T2, which my GP has signed as I need the strips for an on going medical condition,

https://www.ndss.com.au/news/15364?type=articles

To get subsidised strips you have to be a member of the NDSS (which is a free service from Diabetes Australia), I have enclosed the link to download the test strip approval form below

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/ac75f942-bd96-4248-b3a7-075e6abc2cb8.pdf

The link to join NDSS i here: https://www.ndss.com.au/manage-your-registration

This does not apply to T2's who are on insulin or tablets.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

Yes, I've seen this. It's based in Australia where, currently, it seems Type 2s are given meters and test strips.
This is not entirely accurate, the GP will give you a free meter if they have any spares samples given to them by the reps.

The GP will have given you a scripts for the strips.

This will not happen now, you may still get a meter but no strips.

I paid for my Accu Chek Perform meter and I get subsidise strips from accredited NDSS pharmacies (they used to be $1.60 for a box of 100 strips) being a NDSS member.

Edited: Clarity.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the UK there is a move by the NHS to reduce the cost to them of the consumables supplied on scrip. I have a recent thread going here entitled "Has anyone used any of these meters?" which discusses the fact (FACT) that I have had a letter telling me that as of next month my current meter will no longer be supported or approved, and I have to choose a replacement meter that the NHS will fund. So in the UK then there is substance to the OP posting. It is not false!

D

Deleted member 308541

So in the UK then there is substance to the OP posting. It is not false!
The OP should have posted a link to Facebook story, the NDSS article refers to Federal Government changes.

So this leads me to believe that it's Australian and not the UK as your government is not a Federal Government.

Edit: Spelling

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
In the UK there is a move by the NHS to reduce the cost to them of the consumables supplied on scrip. I have a recent thread going here entitled "Has anyone used any of these meters?" which discusses the fact (FACT) that I have had a letter telling me that as of next month my current meter will no longer be supported or approved, and I have to choose a replacement meter that the NHS will fund. So in the UK then there is substance to the OP posting. It is not false!
I think you are referring to the ISO Standards for blood glucose monitoring being revised. This is a good thing, it means that older less accurate meters will no longer be supported by the NHS, different to test strips being withdrawn and the Facebook scare mongering which goes on. More details here if interested https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Profess...tandard-for-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-Revised/

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly it IS TRUE. See my previous post here. It will affect virtually all diabetics who receive test consumables on scrip in the UK that cost the NHS more than £10 per 50 strips, which will eliminate most of the major players.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are referring to the ISO Standards for blood glucose monitoring being revised. This is a good thing, it means that older less accurate meters will no longer be supported by the NHS, different to test strips being withdrawn and the Facebook scare mongering which goes on. More details here if interested https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Profess...tandard-for-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-Revised/
Nope, I did not mean that. It is a new initiative by our CCG's in the UK being rolled out across England and Scotland. I have the letter to prove it, and copies of the NHS internal memo's, and I am in discussion with my local CCG about this happening to me. It is a pure cost cutting measure, nothing to do with improving care

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Is this what you are referring too

8830e25f2476dbb70ded585f92b2f64c.jpg

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah it's not great I must admit.
Basically Cat1 meters are for all T2D including those on insulin and for some T1D's Cat 2 meters are for T1D who carb count, have done BERTIE or similar, are on IPT, Paeds or who have brittle glycemic control.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this what you are referring too

8830e25f2476dbb70ded585f92b2f64c.jpg
Yes, it seems to be what I have seen for other CCG's. Each CCG is producing their own variant of the original Bolton study report, and offer slightly differing selection of meters they will support. In my CCG one of the 4 posible meters is unavailable and the company behind it is very, very suspect financially. Only one of the four is listed as being active on Amazon.

The only criterion for selection is that the NHS cost is less than £10 per 50 strips, the meter meets ISO nnn (2013) and has 500 memory slots. There seems to be no due diligence into support or track record, One of the 4 meters on my shopping list does not even meet the ISO standard. Another one does not record hypos below 1.9 mmol/l ot hypers above 13,8, so these events are not recorded in memory. None of the 4 has ketone capability, or a backlight. One has a non standard data port,advertised as USB but clearly Apple serial channel variant, For one meter , the meter will operate between 15 C and 40C, but the srtrips may be damaged by temps below 10 or above 30C. So do not use it outside range of 10 to 30C so forget UK winter or Summer, But these 4 are what I can select from in my area if I want to continue getting strips on scrip. I have to reply in writing by the end of this month and I have just had my last supplies for my current meter then its bin time or go private.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
The majority of t2d I know are self funding already as GP won't supply them meters

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This change is not specific to T2D. It affects all diabetics receiving test supplies on scrip in UK.where the cost limit of £10 per 50 strips will apply. Some CCG's seem to be more leniant than others but generally we are going to be asked to select from the 4 meters that your local CCG has voted to authorise and support in future. I think T1D may get some wriggle room if they have complex requirements such as pump users, or a track record of DKA admissions.

My CCG is especially penny pinching in that they have selected the 4 cheapest solutions, none of which I had heard of or seen evidence of existance before I got the letter just prior to Xmas.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This google search string seems to bring up relevant information in SMBG measures being put in place by various CCG's around the uk:
nhs ccg diabetes self monitoring
Try it and see if your local CCG is implementing the new policy.