A conversation between a doctor and me

Dark Horse

Joules have been around for a very long time, and have always been the default measurement for energy.
Strictly speaking one calorie defines the amount of energy (Joules) required to raise 1 gram of water though 1 degree celcius.
This is why 1 cal from olive oil is very different from 1 cal from Jam once inside the body (energy burner)
The joule as a unit of energy wasn't coined until 1882 and wasn't the default unit of energy in the UK until SI units were adopted in the 1950s. I agree that 1 calorie is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water through 1 degree Celsius (at atmospheric pressure) but that definition doesn't say anything about olive oil or jam in the body.

Just for clarity, 1 calorie = 4.2 joules (approx), 1 Calorie = 1000 calories and 1 Calorie = 4.2 kilojoules

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with your doctor. Before Banting and Best doctors starved people to get rid of carbohydrates. The result was death and not much longer than 6 months.

Yup, starvation will kill you, every time. To everyone. Doesn't matter if you are diabetic or not.

On the other hand, now doctors can prescribe insulin, things have changed a lot. Type one diabetics get insulin, and all diabetics can choose to eat carbs or not, with appropriate results.

What I find particularly fascinating is that a well formulated low carb diet is actually more nutritious than a carby diet. This is because high carb foods tend to be much less nutritious than low carb foods. After all, filling half a plate with carbs means less veg, less salad, less everything else.

skas246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lololololo, yeap I completely agree with you! I think the Doctor was worried he would be redundant if u did not continue with carbs...and in the end you made him so. Good for you!

Reactions: Doriand

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Other wonderful side effects of eating LCHF besides better numbers and amazing weight loss:

not being ravenously hungry all the time;

cravings for sweet things are far rarer;

skin and nails are in much better shape;

mood swings disappear;

enjoying food without guilt;

feeling younger, fitter and full of energy.

Reactions: jonbvn

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Other wonderful side effects of eating LCHF besides better numbers and amazing weight loss:

not being ravenously hungry all the time;

cravings for sweet things are far rarer;

skin and nails are in much better shape;

mood swings disappear;

enjoying food without guilt;

feeling younger, fitter and full of energy.
I would add that I have a certain glint in my eye much more frequently, which seems to have quite impreseed my OH (IYKWIM).

Reactions: Brunneria

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Research states as much. Goes back to epilepsy treatments, I believe. Also sugar too low affects the brain. Too high too, I think.
That may be the advice, but the main diet for epilepsy (approved by the NHS only if two or more medicines fail to control seizures) is the ketogenic diet, which is in effect VLCHF. As my daughter's neurologist says, fat is brain food :happy:

Kate

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That may be the advice, but the main diet for epilepsy (approved by the NHS only if two or more medicines fail to control seizures) is the ketogenic diet, which is in effect VLCHF. As my daughter's neurologist says, fat is brain food :happy:

Kate
I believe the same.
Low fat fiets = poor mental health. This is only my belief thou.
Mental health is really suffering compared to past generations, why? Low fat diets.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say not the docs are diabetes teams are bad. Mine are fantastic. They don't recommend a lchf diet but if you choose to adopt it they will support you. Personally I am just a 'lower carber'. I've never been reprimanded for it either.