1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A conversation between a doctor and me

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Doriand, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

The joule as a unit of energy wasn't coined until 1882 and wasn't the default unit of energy in the UK until SI units were adopted in the 1950s. I agree that 1 calorie is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water through 1 degree Celsius (at atmospheric pressure) but that definition doesn't say anything about olive oil or jam in the body.

Just for clarity, 1 calorie = 4.2 joules (approx), 1 Calorie = 1000 calories and 1 Calorie = 4.2 kilojoules

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yup, starvation will kill you, every time. To everyone. Doesn't matter if you are diabetic or not.

On the other hand, now doctors can prescribe insulin, things have changed a lot. Type one diabetics get insulin, and all diabetics can choose to eat carbs or not, with appropriate results.

What I find particularly fascinating is that a well formulated low carb diet is actually more nutritious than a carby diet. This is because high carb foods tend to be much less nutritious than low carb foods. After all, filling half a plate with carbs means less veg, less salad, less everything else.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Pretty stupid of the doctors concerned not to already know that without conducting human experiments :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nearly two years

5. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

That's fantastic. I've been since April. I feel so much better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. skas246

skas246 Type 2 · Member

Lololololo, yeap I completely agree with you! I think the Doctor was worried he would be redundant if u did not continue with carbs...and in the end you made him so. Good for you!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Other wonderful side effects of eating LCHF besides better numbers and amazing weight loss:

not being ravenously hungry all the time;

cravings for sweet things are far rarer;

skin and nails are in much better shape;

mood swings disappear;

enjoying food without guilt;

feeling younger, fitter and full of energy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jonbvn

jonbvn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would add that I have a certain glint in my eye much more frequently, which seems to have quite impreseed my OH (IYKWIM).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

That may be the advice, but the main diet for epilepsy (approved by the NHS only if two or more medicines fail to control seizures) is the ketogenic diet, which is in effect VLCHF. As my daughter's neurologist says, fat is brain food :happy:

Kate

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I believe the same.
    Low fat fiets = poor mental health. This is only my belief thou.
    Mental health is really suffering compared to past generations, why? Low fat diets.

11. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say not the docs are diabetes teams are bad. Mine are fantastic. They don't recommend a lchf diet but if you choose to adopt it they will support you. Personally I am just a 'lower carber'. I've never been reprimanded for it either.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook