Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We live in an age of easy cooking. I buy some excellent pre-made chicken in cheese sauce with a very low carb count as a back-up. On the whole, I cook from (almost) scratch. 'Lazy' chili, garlic and ginger feature large.

Same here :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you mean when they're previously spiralised and packaged for an extortionate price? Handy for a one-off but really taking the pee. ;)

Yes, two to three times the price, and a load of packaging to dispose of after.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, 'No carbs before Marbs' has a lot to answer for.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I try my best, I guess I'm not too busy to need convenience fortunately.

Snap! I can shop around for the best deals but, getting back to the OP's post, there are so many more opportunities for the obese and T2's to make choices. In the past, we were misdirected, but now we know the way to go.

Reactions: Speedbird

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I suspect it may be more down to the New Year resolution market, and the fad for designer diets such as TOWIE, driving Sainsbury's profits, as the page is also advertising lean chicken sausages, and fitness and get in shape videos, (and particularly at that price banding), but hopefully the product range will still be available all year round.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suspect it may be more down to the New Year resolution market, and the fad for designer diets such as TOWIE, driving Sainsbury's profits, as the page is also advertising lean chicken sausages, and fitness and get in shape videos, (and particularly at that price banding), but hopefully the product range will still be available all year round.

I think you're right. There are always fads - Atkins was a fad. But it seems to work so I'm sticking to it. You can only go by results and mine are stellar. Two thumbs up. Not actually sure what that means. :)

Fitness videos? Save me, dreadful. That buys into the failed idea of calories in, calories out. The body is far more complex.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think you're right. There are always fads - Atkins was a fad. But it seems to work so I'm sticking to it. You can only go by results and mine are stellar. Two thumbs up. Not actually sure what that means. :)

Fitness videos? Save me, dreadful. That buys into the failed idea of calories in, calories out. The body is far more complex.

It's a two edged sword.

TOWIE certainly publicised the low carb diet, but now seems to have put TOWIE prices on the products, and put the 'pre holiday diet' stamp on it, the same way Atkins sold it as weight loss.
Still, at least it's there.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
n
It's a two edged sword.

TOWIE certainly publicised the low carb diet, but now seems to have put TOWIE prices on the products, and put the 'pre holiday diet' stamp on it, the same way Atkins sold it as weight loss.
Still, at least it's there.

Nonsense. You can't compare a scientist of 50 years standing with a bunch of idiots, even if half of them actually achieved a certificate of some kind or other. ;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I doubt Sainsbury's asked a scientist what foods they should be selling.
I reckon they looked at what was popular, and what was trending in OK magazine.

(And they are very, very rich 'idiots' with very good businesses, not only big pharma follows the money)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they'll ever dare to have a high fat section :)
Well most supermarkets certainly do have (and AFAIK always have had) a decent selection of fatty foods already, and always have done so! There's always been higher fat food on sale, such as (streaky) bacon, pork belly and chops, duck, chicken with skin left on... And I've noticed that both Tesco and Ocado indicate fat content of some mince packs and have some higher fat ones (e.g. 15 or 20% fat) available. And salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines are all oily fish. Proper dairy produce - not the low fat junk but full fat cream, milk, yoghurt, butter, full fat cheeses, and nuts, nut oils and butters are also nice and fatty as are avocados and olives - but all these can't be lumped together in one place, so we just need to use our common sense and choose wisely when shopping.:D

Robbity

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well most supermarkets certainly do have (and AFAIK always have had) a decent selection of fatty foods already, and always have done so! There's always been higher fat food on sale, such as (streaky) bacon, pork belly and chops, duck, chicken with skin left on... And I've noticed that both Tesco and Ocado indicate fat content of some mince packs and have some higher fat ones (e.g. 15 or 20% fat) available. And salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines are all oily fish. Proper dairy produce - not the low fat junk but full fat cream, milk, yoghurt, butter, full fat cheeses, and nuts, nut oils and butters are also nice and fatty as are avocados and olives - but all these can't be lumped together in one place, so we just need to use our common sense and choose wisely when shopping.:D

Robbity

You're absolutely right, @Robbity. We can't blame anyone else because we now have the tools to make our own choices to help take control of obesity and T2. Excuses are easy, and legitimate for those with other health issues, but for most of us it's a matter of toddling past the desserts and really thinking about what we're buying, checking out the labels. I give my local Tesco superstore credit in that all the choccie and crisps are in a couple of aisles at the back, easily avoided. They actually have three aisles of fresh fruit and veggies! The way forward?

Last edited:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are Sainsbury's selling low carb spuds yet?

Do you mean the Carisma spud-lite? I haven't seen them in my local Tesco but haven't really been looking. Have you tried them? Any good? I wouldn't mind the occasional half a jacket, and poor deprived hubby would love one.

D

Deleted member 308541

Do you mean the Carisma spud-lite?
No ours are called Zarella Spud Lite probably the same product with a different name.

They are great, we have them mashed, chipped (the bigger ones), and nuked in their jackets in the microwave.

The Chef at the bowls club bistro has got on to them use in food preparation for the diners.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butternut squash made into various pasta shapes (or chips) and spiralised courgettes are suddenly quite mainstream being in most supermarkets these days, even the discounters such as Aldi - who also do a good line in cauliflower rice with parsley.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is deftly finding it's way into the supermarkets - Tesco does spiralised courgette and cauliflower rice I believe (though I prefer to make my own - I find grating the cauliflower by hand to be quite therapeutic!). I've tended to avoid the ready meals but have noticed they have some good low carb chicken dishes e.g chicken with bacon leeks and cheese, chicken stuffed with ricotta and spinach. These don't quite tick the high fat box but handy to have with some veggies stir fried in a creme fraiche sauce for an easy meal. The ingredients aren't too bad for ready meals though I did laugh to see the cheese sauce contains both skimmed milk and double cream?????? Seems they haven't quite managed to embrace high fat or they'd have put in whole milk. Carbs are under 4g per serving.
I've still had problems finding whole milk on occasion (not in Tesco) and the fat free and low fat stuff is still there in abundance. Noticed a woman shopping today - very overweight, walking stick, looking at labels. Her trolley was piled high with the fat free yoghurts and low fat meals. I so wanted to say something to her but was afraid she might not appreciate it. Not sure what can be done to spread the word more.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb is deftly finding it's way into the supermarkets - Tesco does spiralised courgette and cauliflower rice I believe (though I prefer to make my own - I find grating the cauliflower by hand to be quite therapeutic!). I've tended to avoid the ready meals but have noticed they have some good low carb chicken dishes e.g chicken with bacon leeks and cheese, chicken stuffed with ricotta and spinach. These don't quite tick the high fat box but handy to have with some veggies stir fried in a creme fraiche sauce for an easy meal. The ingredients aren't too bad for ready meals though I did laugh to see the cheese sauce contains both skimmed milk and double cream?????? Seems they haven't quite managed to embrace high fat or they'd have put in whole milk. Carbs are under 4g per serving.
I've still had problems finding whole milk on occasion (not in Tesco) and the fat free and low fat stuff is still there in abundance. Noticed a woman shopping today - very overweight, walking stick, looking at labels. Her trolley was piled high with the fat free yoghurts and low fat meals. I so wanted to say something to her but was afraid she might not appreciate it. Not sure what can be done to spread the word more.

True, she might have slapped you.

Not all low fat dieters are overweight, not all low carbers aren't overweight.
It's worth remembering before judging people by how they look.