Private blood tests for overactive thyroid

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Have had a slightly overactive thyroid since 2004, only treatment is propranolol to keep palpitations at a reasonable rate. Last year my symptoms increased, GP did usual thyroid test and said it was ok and refused to do any further investigations. I would like to have private blood tests done as still feel there's a problem but don't know where the best place to have them done at an affordable price. Has anyone here had any done and know how accurate the results of Blue Horizon home blood tests are. Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Rose

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Blue Horizon Medicals. I have under-active and my results were horrendous but NHS refused any treatment apart from Levo.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If one is hypothyroid and gets metformin ones TSH can get too low and the GP can Think one is to High and force one to get even lower in levothyroxine which is bad for many reasons But also for diabetes and complications and adding weight

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Blue Horizon Medicals. I have under-active and my results were horrendous but NHS refused any treatment apart from Levo.
Thanks@carol43. I'm convinced my thyroid isn't right but doctor having non of it as last lot of bloods were in the "ok" range. Think I will give it a go with Blue Horizon and see how it goes, once again thanks for your help.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Have had a slightly overactive thyroid since 2004, only treatment is propranolol to keep palpitations at a reasonable rate. Last year my symptoms increased, GP did usual thyroid test and said it was ok and refused to do any further investigations. I would like to have private blood tests done as still feel there's a problem but don't know where the best place to have them done at an affordable price. Has anyone here had any done and know how accurate the results of Blue Horizon home blood tests are. Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Rose

75Bedford - Before you go spending money on private tests, I would suggest you have to be clear what your expectations are when you have the results.

Both my partner and myself have had bloods done overseas, and whilst mine were interim diabetic panels (when overseas for a very extended period), MrB's were in order to fast-track something when he returned to the UK.

When MrB presented the results to the Doc, she wanted to run bloods of her own, rather than rely on a lab she was unfamiliar with. Of course, the additional factor there was the anaylising lab was overseas, but I'm guessing even if your Doc is happy to look at them, he/she could be a bit put out that you'd doubted his/her tests/treatment.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from having the tests done, just would hate you to spend your cash, only to find the Doc to be dismissive.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
75Bedford - Before you go spending money on private tests, I would suggest you have to be clear what your expectations are when you have the results.

Both my partner and myself have had bloods done overseas, and whilst mine were interim diabetic panels (when overseas for a very extended period), MrB's were in order to fast-track something when he returned to the UK.

When MrB presented the results to the Doc, she wanted to run bloods of her own, rather than rely on a lab she was unfamiliar with. Of course, the additional factor there was the anaylising lab was overseas, but I'm guessing even if your Doc is happy to look at them, he/she could be a bit put out that you'd doubted his/her tests/treatment.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from having the tests done, just would hate you to spend your cash, only to find the Doc to be dismissive.
Thank you Andbreathe for your reply. I have the same reservations as yourself and wouldn't like to upset my GP but at the same time I am fed up feeling the way I do at the moment. I think I will have the test done privately and if it comes back negative I can go back to my GP and discuss my symptoms again and see what he suggests and if it is positive I have something to take back to him (these tests are more in depth than the one he did) and see what happens.

Reactions: AndBreathe